Large Scale Central

Acme Pawn & Eastside Mower Repair Shop Craig's 2023 MIK

That would certainly make.those shingles a lot more friendly.

I understand about the MEK. Fortunately I found that west marine carries it still ( at least they did when I bought mine) and I bought 2 quarts. Wish I had bought a gallon. Lol.

Needle bottle??? For the siding I switched to a paint brush, lol.

West Marine was where I got mine too! I bought a half gallon.

You must be applying strips a lot faster or in bunches. I do one strip at a time and the MEK is almost dissolved by the end.

1 Like

The one thing i have learned with mass application of MEK is to apply a layer on each surface. It gets it melting. Then apply again and apply. I make no claims to this being the “right” way. So I brush the side then the strip and then as I put the strip on the side I apply more as needed.

The makers of MEK I am sure love my technique.

Wow. Your dumping more MEK than I use. I have noticed my MEK bonds aren’t they deep at times. One of the ways I can tell is scraps that I pull apart. Layers of “bubbles” are the MEK melt and then it gets down to the solid stuff.

I might actually get a MIK build done in the 30 days.

Need to study the prototype photos some more for the final trim pieces then it’s off to the paint shop for primer and paint. I’m pretty sure I can find paint.

I am glad you are getting done. I am in panic mode. I only have about half a billion strips to cut.

Well I’m actually shocked at my own progress. This is motivation to see what other projects I can whip out in 30 days for no expense.

Not sure that I would have tackled this project this soon if it wasn’t for this challenge.

1 Like

Picking out some colors that I have on hand. I actually think these are the same colors I used last year.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52664029644_2069b6afbc_c.jpg]

The red isn’t quite as bright as I want but it’s what I have on hand.

Yep same colors…

But I think it matches the photo fairly well. And after all this with the depot, it will eventually get removed.

I found a half bottle of some bright red. I think that will be just barely enough to paint the red section.

Impatiently waiting for the primer to flash off, but not really sure why as I know I’m not painting today/evening.

I have some of that Tuscan red also. I kinda like it myself.

It’s not quite bright enough for the building but it does a really good job of preweathering color of “boxcar red”. One of these days I’ll get back to painting rolling stock again.

The two armed bandit is working along. 1 arm has the airbrush and the other has the hairdryer. This photo was the brush paint attempt the other night when I had all but 10 minutes to work. Gave a nice starting layer to airbrush on top.

Well I think I might be done with the air brush.

There’s a few touch up spots that need some work and the roof needs a new coat of black as I forgot to tape that off.

Hopefully this can all get done tonight and dry well. Then tomorrow I can do some light weathering with a grimy wash and call it done for now.

1 Like

Craig,

It’s hard to believe I had to basically challenge your manhood a few years ago to join in on this insanity. You are such a great modeler and we don’t get enough of your talent on here. You really are one of the best.

This is looking great. All I wish is that I had taken stock in painters tape. . . I’d be rich.

2 Likes

I don’t have doubts that I can model, I just never think outside the box of projects when I’ve got some stuck in my head.

I’ll say this, my method of siding and roofing with the thin strips might be a pain in the butt to do but it looks great. This might be the swift kick in the butt to do the clapboard siding building of T-D Feeds. I was thinking about doing it with PVC lumber but I don’t have any of that on hand, but I’ve got lots of this thin stuff. I’m sure enough to do one more building.

Yah I should have done the trim first and then painted the rest. Oops. Oh well.

1 Like

Couldn’t resist mocking up the building outside with the other mockup buildings and half done ones. This is going to be a neat looking scene when it’s done.

2 Likes

Looks great Craig. And after cutting and afixing a billion strips, I have to agree. I am pleased with the results on my project

Despite the 24 hour extension, I’m going to have to call mine done for now. Got thinking about it last night as I don’t want to glue the windows in quite yet until the interior is finished just in case I somehow need access through the windows. I might just start working on the interior next.

Some shelves with random stuff on them, some drop lights, a cash register. Not sure exactly. Probably would be smart to throw in a figure or two.

Or just add this to the list of half done projects. :joy: