Large Scale Central

Acela in G scale?

Two operating locomotives. One at the head end and the other tail grabbing. Then 6 cars in between the two locomotives. One 1st class. One café car. Four business end cars to complete a prototypical train set.

I know Lionel made the Acela set and it retailed for about $700.00 dollars, if I remember correctly. Today, they are worth well over a thousand dollars in “0” scale. In G though…Probably over $4000.00 dollars for a complete train set. With fully operational pantographs and lighted cars with fully detailed interiors.

Well, I can dream can’t I?

I love the Acela.

PS To my knowledge. no company makes an Acela in G scale. If anyone knows of a company that does, please do post the name. I might pull a second mortgage. LOL

No one makes the Acela just like no one bothers to make any other 20th century steam engines besides the big boy and the Hudson. But hey lets make 80 different kinds of diesels.

Joseph Lupinski said:

No one makes the Acela just like no one bothers to make any other 20th century steam engines besides the big boy and the Hudson. But hey lets make 80 different kinds of diesels.

I haven’t seen all that many garden layouts that use catenary either.

Actually Joe,

Ithink it’s 81 now, I just ordered a GP60 :slight_smile:

LGB made one…sort of…the Acela-ish 91950, these (or individual parts of them) turn up on Fleabay all the time

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

Actually Joe,

Ithink it’s 81 now, I just ordered a GP60 :slight_smile:

Sigh I’m not bitter or anything huh? Also someone in our club has that LGB Amtrak set. Cheep piece of crap in my opinion. Though I am sure the more experienced modelers might be able to make more out of it but stock it is very unimpressive.

The AMTRAK unit is just the LGB LCE in different colours. If I remember correctly PIKO was the jobbing shop that produced them. Same goes for the Toy Train items when LGB still meant EPL.

My Lehmann LCE had a custom 24v battery pack for it with a fashionable on/off switch for control (or lack of)! You would never notice the lack of detail or fidelity to prototype when running at 100+smiles/hour! A little extra weight and metal wheels sent it around 4% grade, 8 ft dia curves at breakneck speeds. I only replaced the gears 3x!

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/s-4/ICE.jpg)

Some of my favorite trains , used to run them in the rain a lot , operated them on track power at a FULL 24 volts , Express trains , really ! Even had a set operating from on board battery and rc also , told you that I like them . But these photos are from years ago , but I still have them .

There are so many locomotives I would like very much to see manufactured in G scale. I am sure I’m not alone.

Another would be the Centennial UP diesel. It is a grand locomotive in “O” scale. So, imagine it in G scale with all the bells and whistles.

The LGB ICE set is not real bad, but it obviously needs allot of improvements. Especially, if one does not like a toy look to their trains.

Stacy Krausmann said:

There are so many locomotives I would like very much to see manufactured in G scale. I am sure I’m not alone.

Another would be the Centennial UP diesel. It is a grand locomotive in “O” scale. So, imagine it in G scale with all the bells and whistles.

The LGB ICE set is not real bad, but it obviously needs allot of improvements. Especially, if one does not like a toy look to their trains.

Stacy,
Could you define your “G scale” for us please? 1/32nd (correct) or 1/29th ? 1/26, like LGB ?

There’s a gent in Florida making a Shinkansen from extruded aluminum.

Pete Thornton said:

Stacy Krausmann said:

Stacy,
Could you define your “G scale” for us please? 1/32nd (correct) or 1/29th ? 1/26, like LGB ?

There’s a gent in Florida making a Shinkansen from extruded aluminum.

Ha! That’s funny Pete.

I guess I do 1/29 mostly. I must confess, I am new to the steamer types and thus I am not entirely sure if they are true to scale. As in 1/29 or something else. perhaps someone can assist me.

Anyway, if I had an Acela in 1/29 scale gauge 1 with all 6 cars, I would likely be the most popular fellow around here where I live.

We’ve been watching this gnetleman and his Shinkansen project for a number of years now - mainly over on another website.

I recall a possible selling price of around $20K or so?

Stacey - AristoCraft and USA Trains steamers are 1/29th scale - 10% larger than true Gauge 1, which is 1/32nd scale.

AccuCraft also builds in true Gauge 1 and, wearing another hat, under the name of AML, in 1/29th scale.

LGB made American and French mikado steamers in a slightly flexible scale - depending on which part of the model you measured - roughly 1/26th and a bit.

They also had a HUGE range approximating to 1/22.5 - allegedly representing European metre gauge. The 45mm gauge track used in Gauge 1 scales out at just about a metre in this 1/22.5 scale.

AccuCraft make a large range of live steam and electric NARROW GAUGE models in Fn3 - American three-foot gauge and mainly the Colorado lines.

AccuCraft and Roundhouse make a huge range of British and furrin’ NARROW GAUGE models running on either 32mm gauge [like 0 gauge] or 45mm gauge in the predominantly British scale of 1/19th - usually referred to as 16mm scale.

AccuCraft also makes an increasing number of models running on 45mm track, but represented in the huge scale of 7/8" to the foot…the quarry Hunslet, Ida and Fairymead so far, hopefull followed by ‘Polar Bear’ from the Isle of Man Groudle Glen Rwy.

Unconfused?

You will have noted that nowhere is the letter ‘G’ mentioned, except here. There is no such animal as ‘G’ scale, y’see. Just a generic bunch of different scales that all happen to run on the same 45mm gauge track.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Thanks Tac. I do have LGB and Piko as well as USATR and Aristo Craft. So, I am running several scales.

They are all so close that only a model railroader would likely see the differences. Though some are more obvious.

Anyway, a true to scale Acela would be a really cool train to have operating on a layout. I am sure she would be fast.