Large Scale Central

? about the Ladder method of track support

I spent the past couple of evenings reading a lot of the threads about the ladder track bed system. I hope to install a small loop out front for the holidays and will give this method a try.

Just one question. Seems some use 2x2 for the support post, either PT or plastic wood. I read at least one thread where they used PVC pipe. Just wondering if it is a personal choice, cost or does one have advatanges over the other? I was wondering if the pipe would fill with water and crack?

If successful I will use this method when rebuilding and expanding my backyard main line this spring.

Regards,
Ward

Unless you plan to raise it several inches or more off the ground I didn’t find a need for the supports. I started out using them but found out that while hammering them into the ground they often hit a rock and would end up being slightly off kilter. So I just lay it on a bed of 2A modified gravel.

To answer your question though, I don’t think cracking would be a problem If you use a solid support post you may have more of a problem with frost heave.

I used the 2x2 for several reasons. First of all, I could cut it into small pieces that I used as the spacers between the pieces. Longer sections provided my support - even for the sections that ran along the ground. I didn’t want it moving very much; I found that just 6 or 8 inches of length was enough to hold it in position. Lastly, these were about a dollar a piece in 4 foot sections, so it was fairly cheap. The 4 foot sections made it easy to transport. And the 4 foot sections were all I needed for my elevated portions.

Now, I never tried the PVC pipe, but I would THINK it might be harder to put a screw into, seeing as it’s circular. To me the advantage of the wood is that it’s easy to put a deck screw into it without drilling any holes.

Ward

Brian Briggs has a raised roadbed using PVC. There are some photos with it on a post he did here a little while back. He may be able to answer any questions

Regards

Bob

Ward

I’ve used both PVC and wooden 2x2 for the upright support post on the ladder system on my railroad. The 2x2 has worked the best if I’m going into dirt that is settled or untouched. I make the end pointed on my table saw and drive into the ground. The PVC is 1" schedule 40 and I cut the dirt end at an angle so it goes into the ground. But I only use the PVC in an area that I’m going to fill with dirt after I have set the ladder. Like was mention earlier, The PVC wants to walk at an angle as you drive it into the ground.

It sounds like you’re going to make a temporary Christmas display. I would use the wooden 2x2’s they are more sturdy.

Good luck and have fun doing your display.

Chuck

I’ve used the pvc on a friends layout and I’m using it as I’m starting my own. I cut the end angle and I use 3/4" pvc. I place a 1" pvc over it (around it?) and use a fence post driver (5 lb.) to drive it in straight. The outer 1" pipe is used to keep the 3/4" from flexing too much within the driver and helps keep it straight. I’ve not had a problem with heaving or water freezing and cracking it. I also use the 3/4" pvc pipe for the “ladder rails”, screwing them directly into the pvc posts. No problem.
Mike

My 2 cents

I ended up using PT 4x4 because I had a bunch of it from a deck project on hand. I cant just drive PVC or stakes into the ground because of all the rocks, so I had to dig each one.

I tried it, used PVC pipe for the uprights, but got frost heave. Had driven them down 18-24" here in Nebraska, guess it wasn’t deep enough. Jerry

Jerry Barnes said:
I tried it, used PVC pipe for the uprights, but got frost heave. Had driven them down 18-24" here in Nebraska, guess it wasn't deep enough. Jerry
Jerry, I'm interested in your frost heave results. You did end up using presure treated stakes? Round or square? This idea of pointed or square cute on the end has intriqued me, which way did you choose on that? It seems early to me to have frost heave, but I know we are in climate differences, how far did they rise? Thanks in advance for your documentation, experimentation and persistance.