Large Scale Central

A New Day-Vol 2-Track

Variations on a theme:

the former loop, Eli and I took up all the track from the former loop, that long section is from the “trouble tunnel”…Note: Never build down hill tunnel!

painted outline, pretty simple, I bought a can of upside paint and traced the outline of the PVC I’d previously placed-(Pink because my daughter went to the store with me)

This is the digger I used to trench with. I removed two tines this time to dig a more narrow trench, it worked much better!

trenched-a reverse mole shot-took all of 30 min to trench all 3 loops.

didn’t use the rebar this time-went for the Garden Stakes and cut to 10" length. The bed this layout is built in is much “softer” than the last…and the Garden stakes were MUCH more cost effective, we’ll see. (I know they didn’t work for Kevin in CO)

PVC Down and attached to the stakes with zip ties.

another angle/different view of the outter loop. cale

Cale,
You are moving right along. Beautiful weekend to work on the layout.
I’m doing the same today.
Ralph

Looking good Cale! We have the warm temps, but it’s Mud Season in New England, so one does not step off the paved pathways if you like keeping your shoes :smiley: When the ground fully thaws, the surface water will drain and the mud will dry up. Probably early April.

I have tons of work to do on roadbed this year. Some of my trench/ballast sections have been down now for 5 years and it’s starting to look a little like a roller coaster. There is a pace where a trench/ballast section connects to a walkway crossing and either the walkway has sunk, or the garden rose. In either case I’ve got a vertical curve that needs to be removed. That, and an expansion that never happened last summer.

I’m probably going with the tuff-board ladder for some, if not all of the rebuilds. My switches are on concrete pads so I’d like to figure out how to attach the ladder directly to the switch pads so everything moves together.

Great weekend for that Cale. Didn’t do anything to my layout except check it out. Spent most of the weekend trimming bushes and cleaning out flower beds…and darn near bleeding to death ripping out 3 over grown rose bushes…:wink:

So far so good Cale!

Beautiful.

Who’s for a get-together at Cale’s?

Tom Ruby said:
Beautiful.

Who’s for a get-together at Cale’s?

Can’t, the van is literally stuck in the mud and a road trip that long will require the conversion van. (sigh)

Chas

Cowboy Up!

Cal, looking good so far. You made a alot of progress. I forget what is the pvc pipe for? What I did and plan and doing with my extension is dig a 4 inch deep trench then pack it in with stone dust. Then lay the track on top and put more stone dust on top. Then just level by adding/removing stone dust. So far this worked great up this way. It survived the winter and many rain storms with no problems.

I cant wait for more progress pictures. So how many more of those flats did you complete?

Hey Shawn…the purpose of the pipe is to hold the track in place on grade…with 4 kids (3 that walk on their own) it was the most cost effective way I could make sure my track wasn’t kicked and tripped all over the yard…the boys do not respect the ROW!

it could be compared to someone using PW lumber or a Ladder…it so far it’s worked well for us!

cale

rain, rain, go Away, come back some other day…

C. Nelson said:
rain, rain, go Away, come back some other day......
It will, next weekend..............;)

70 degrees and sunny today.
Cale might be getting some work done.
I’m pulling weeds from the layout today.
Ralph

nope, it’s Lukes 4th!!!

enjoying the fam!

C. Nelson said:
nope, it's Lukes 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoying the fam!

Great day for a birthday!
Ralph

Cant wait to see the next step. We had a great 60 degree day here. Got some work done on the expansion and started to clean up the east end of the layout. Nothing growing yet out this way stillhave a few more weeks before that happens.

Laying track on the main loop, about 2/3 done, kids playing point to point with HLW mack (dp/dt)

cale

got about 7/8 complete, had to do wifey things, maybe tomorrow?

Not tomorrow…RAIN
Ralph

BTW-Where’s the pictures ?

what and no photos. You cant tease me like that. I am off the next 3 days and figures cold wet weather on way. last 3 days were great 70’s but of course I had to work.