Large Scale Central

A little progress

Now that the holidays are over and the rain had subsided, I was able to make some progress on the layout this past weekend.

I have been using redwood lath and pressure treated 2 x 4 as my track support and after getting beaten by some pretty heavy rain and wind, I’m happy to report just how well it fared. Actually the soaking helped to solidify everything.
The reason I used redwood was/is so I can glue redwood ties to it, like one continuous trestle, and then spike my rail. I am using Tightbond II but even if the ties let go they will be connected to the rail anyway. And buried in ballast.
I am also cutting my ties from the same lath as it is the perfect height at 3/16. And one 97 cent piece gives me about 80 or 90 ties in about a half on hour in front of the table saw (a mini dremel one).
And today my rail from Bryan at Llagas Creek showed up!
I plan to go battery power so aluminum rail will be fine.
As a matter of fact, I think it is perfect because it seems pliable enough that I can shape it easily by hand. I will also paint the rail a nice red/brown rust color (holdover from n scale thinking, I know) so that should go well with my ties, even though I know they will age to a medium gray.
Here are some photos!

Let’s try that again

Nice start looks good

Thanks for the resize, Devon! I guess I need to set up my photo stash file here.

Double post! What a newbie…

Looks good Patrick. Keep the updates coming.

Another shot

Ooh, Aah, Oh.

Hmm…thought I sized them appropriately this time?

It’s not the size irs the process I think. You need to open the photos wherever you have ten stores online. Then when you type a post you will see a little picture of a mountain on the tool bar. Click that and paste the photo URL and then they will show up big.

One thing I have noticed is that I can’t do it from my phone. I don’t have the tool bar.

cool pis anyway

Nice to see someone else hand laying track. I was originally going to use battens under my ties but decided it was not necessary once the track was in ballast. You wont regret it. It looks so good especially once weathered. Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Nothing special…

Just a pile of newly cut ties for more track work this weekend.

I really enjoy making this stuff myself!

Who needs therapy when there are model trains?

I’m envious of your handlaid track. I don’t care how good the molding on plastic ties may be; you can’t the look of wood. (Okay, I’m still not envious enough to rip out my existing track and re-lay it, mind you…)

Later,

K

I’m glad you have the energy for that Patrick. Like Kevin, I love the look but the process not so much. I still have 10 feet of bridge to spike that I’ve been putting off since July. Keep it up!

Admittedly, it is tedious at times but as others have shared, for some the process is the hobby.
I mean, I like running trains and look forward to that ( n scale stuff feeds that right now, although that is a work in progress too) but laying ties, spiking rail, adding scenery are all just as enjoyable.

I am in your Boat Patrick. I like the building process (Structures, track, roadbed, etc.) as much as I like the trains. I plan to hand lay all my track. I have cut upwards of 2000 ties thus far. Lots more needed. Keep up the great work.