Large Scale Central

A heads up for Memorial Day

I know Ken Brunt would have already posted this reminder so in his memory remember to fly your flag at half staff only until noon to honor those who died for us, then briskly raise your flag to full staff to honor all who have served .

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, Hollywood. I will remember Ken at our events.
Sunday at our town, Monday at the VFW.

1 Like

Being an old Navy airdale I get confused as to exactly what day IS Memorial Day? It used to be May 30th, but now the younger generation has changed it.

I found this using Google…
Is Memorial Day the same date every year?

In 1968, the Uniform Holidays Bill was passed as part of a move to use federal holidays to create three-day weekends. This meant that from 1971, the Memorial Day holiday has been officially observed on the last Monday in May.

Or you could just run the “Red White and Blue” in front of his mill and there ain’t a damn thing he can do about it now !

I miss Ken a “metric” sh*t ton but thankful for those that have served and continue to do so!

1 Like

The flag is at half staff (or half mast if you are on a ship) for Memorial day
If you confused about the holidays this might help:

• Armed Forces Day “is for those personnel still in uniform,” It is celebrated annually on the third Saturday of May.
• Veterans Day “is for those who hung up their uniform,” It is celebrated annually on Nov. 11.
• Memorial Day “is for those who never made it out of uniform,” It is celebrated annually on the last Monday of May.

I have a number of friends and family who never made it out of uniform

Scott

Scott not arguing just citing protocal from Government sources there are more out there you can search for the same info.

On Memorial Day the flag should be flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon only, then raised briskly to the top of the staff until sunset, in honor of the nation’s battle heroes.

Betsy Ross and the American Flag

* Home* Betsy

• Betsy & the Flag
  • Flag Facts
  • Flag Rules
  • Flag Fun

FAQ part 1: General questions

FAQ part 2: Displaying the flag

FAQ part 3: Half staff; Half mast

FAQ part 4: Funeral flags

Please note: Our site contains the flag code in its entirety and dozens of answers to a very wide array of questions. We hope the information we have provided will be a useful resource to visitors. We are not expanding this section and cannot answer specific questions regarding the flag code and its interpretation.

Half-Staff, Half-Mast

Is there a difference between half-mast and half-staff?

According to Merriam-Webster’s (3rd Edition):

Half-mast: a point some distance but not necessarily halfway down below the top of a mast or staff or the peak of a gaff.

Half-staff: HALF-MAST — used of a flag or a flagpole

The Associated Press Style Guide suggests using “half staff.”

However, most dictionaries use “half-mast” as the preferred term.

The Flag Code (section 7-m) reads:

The term “half-staff” means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

Using Google, you find the term “half-mast” 592,000 times and the term “half-staff” 428,000 times. Searching White House press releases “half-staff” appears 80 times to “half-mast” only 4 times.

Naval flag protocol uses the term “half-staff” 10 times, and the term “half-mast” 61 times.

Our conclusion is that both terms can be used. The term “half-mast” is preferred by dictionaries and seems more appropriate at sea (as ships have masts). “Half-staff” seems more appropriate on land, and is the preferred term used in the Flag Code and in Presidential proclamations.

We call it a draw. The two terms may be used interchangeably for general use.

Should I fly my flag at half-staff today?

» Also see Should I fly my flag today?

When to half-staff the flag

• May 15 — Peace Officers Memorial Day: half-staff from sunrise to sunset

• Last Monday in May — Memorial Day: the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon

• September 11 — Patriot Day: half-staff from sunrise to sunset

• Sunday, usually of week in which October 9th falls — Fire Prevention Week: half-staff from sunrise to sunset.

• December 7 — National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day: half-staff from sunrise to sunset

• Upon reliable information that the current or former President, current Vice-President, current or former Chief Justice, or current Speaker of the House has died

• Upon Presidential proclamation or proclamation by your state’s governor.

Governors’ Websites:

By statute, the President is requested each year to issue a proclamation requiring government buildings to half-staff the flag and inviting all the people of the US to do so as well, on Peace Officers Memorial Day, Patriot Day, and National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (see above).

Section 7m of the Flag Code reads:

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.**strong text

1 Like

Thank you, David;
Here in Canada; I will have the Stars and Stripes, along with the Canadian Flag, at half staff on Monday, June 30th, with a great memory of OUR Friend Ken Brunt, and the memory of those that served ALL OF US, in the World.
Fred Mills

1 Like

I might be a rebel but I refuse to lower my flag to half mast. It flies at full mast 24/7/365.

Bare with me, I have a reason, right or wrong. I am a marine and a veteran of the Gulf War though I am NOT a combat vet. I say that because stolen Valor is a major issue with me and I honor all combat vets ahead of myself.

But Francis Scott Key looked out the portal of a prisoner ship and saw the stars and stripes flying despite certain defeat. When our backs were against the wall, our colors didn’t sag, they didn’t fall, they were not lowered. They fly high and proud. No disrespect intended but when this country is pressed, when she is challenged, we dont lower our flag, we fly it high in defiance.

As such, my flag flies at full mast, not to disrespect those who have fallen, but to honor them on full glory.

So, with the utmost respect to those who have served and fallen, and for those who still stand, my colors remain high.

1 Like

Fred,

I think of Canada as the USAs brother. Both were formed from the Crown. Neither a blind servant of it. While we both have taken a different route about it, neither, in my opinion are subjects to it.

Living 100 miles from the border and having spent many many days/weeks in Canada I have come to love Canadians. While I think Canada owes its sovereignty to the USA as its southern protectorate, I equally feel the same of the Canada as the USAs northern protectorate. Neither nation would likely have persisted without the other.

We owe as much to the Canadian Fallen as we do those in the USA.

you must have different rules in the states, than in europe.

first in the comercial navy, then in the army they made sure that we learned, that respect for the colors meant, they come up with the sun and they come down with the sun. and be saluted on both occasions.

Yes we raise the colors at dawn and lower them dusk. But that is for a flag that is unlit.

If a light remains on your flag after dusk and remains on until dawn then it can remain flying.

From the Americanl Legion: “However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness. The American Legion interprets “proper illumination” as a light specifically placed to illuminate the flag (preferred)”

My flag has a dedicated light to illuminate it.

Devon;
My Canadian Flag, the Maple Leaf, flies at full staff, as your Stars and Stripes. EVERY day of the year.
I also provide flags to my neighbors and Friends.
My copy of the Stars and Stripes flies proudly, in correct position to its Canadian Partner, on the visits of American Friends, and on certain American days of remembrance…I also have a grand copy of the Hawaiian State Flag.
Fred Mills

1 Like

You have one Up’ed me Fred. I do not own a maple leaf. But I am also guilty of not flying the state flag or an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I would have no problem honoring my neighbors to the north.

Being a hockey fan I have stood and honored the Canadian flag and anthem on many occasions. And I have always appreciated the Canadians who have stood with me and sang the USA national anthem. I have “stood on guard” on many occasions.

Team Mueller was in compliance!

Korm,

Many countries have different etiquette, and even in the U.S., it can differ between services. A U.S. man-o-war keeps her Colors flying from the peak 24/7 when underway. In port, she raises the Colors at 0800 and lowers them at sunset. This is true at Naval shore installations, as well. The Army, on the other hand, raises the Colors at sunrise and lowers them at sunset. I suspect this is because West Point graduates have difficulty telling time. :nerd_face:

Eric

Red White and Blue revisited!

1 Like