Large Scale Central

A CAR BARN AT FIELDS LANDING

Cool!

Rick Marty said:
I am one of those lucky select few. Not only does my wife approve of my hobby she enjoys participating in it as well.
Yes you are!
Rick Marty said:
Here is a close up shot of what the finished screen installation looks like from the outside. Not exactly a louvered finish but should do the job for this structure.
Hey, what works, works :)

Yall notice… Rick didn’t mention the trestle on the table in the first picture up there…

Yep,
That is a fine trestle.
Car barn is looking real good too.
Ralph

Some more progress on this little project, Supposed to snow for the next couple of days, jeeeezzzeee Anyway here is what I have today. Test fitting the monitor and the flashing to the roof, looks like everything is a go.

The monitor has been caulked and fastened to the roof and the sheet metal sub-roof of the monitor has been installed and the mineral felt roofing glued down with construction adhesive. So the basic building is finished. Now the front door has to be built and fitted. In the last picture you can see the base board for the door/wall painted and laying on the table. I think the front will be a covered truck loading dock with an end of track bumper where the swing switch enters the building. Can’t wait to see what I come up with.

More later, depending on the weather. Rick

Hey Rick,

That’s a pretty nice looking parking garage, gives me some idea’s about storage. Btw we got 6" of snow today within 5 hours and another 6" to 12" forecasted for tonight and into tomorrow. And I thought Spring was just around the corner.

Chuck

Very nice storage building Marty!

That came out great. I like the loading dock/door idea should really perk it up.But as opposed to a bumper I think I would use an overhead door for an interior unloading dock. More prototypical IMHO

Rick Marty said:
Can’t wait to see what I come up with.
Either can we :D Looks very nice.

Mighty fine job Rick. A practical design and it looks great!

Hi all, Chuck, no snow yet but they keep promising. I sure hope they are wrong. Dave, I had considered the very concept that you mention, it would look very good and be an added feature. But, the buildings i remember from my childhood had a stub track to unload directly to trucks and a spur along the out side of the long building with doors spaced to match the box car doors. Anyway that is what I have went for it is just that the long siding is on the other side of the building and just out of sight. Richard, My friend, so good to see you here. Well here is what I came up with. Must have been tired last night, forgot to ad the information for the pictures. :)=) A couple of pictures of the loading dock/door closure for the entry end of the car storage barn. The dock is framed with 2X Redwood and covered with ¼ inch Redwood “planking” a little heavy to be scale but will hold up in the weather a little better. The dock roof is some old Do-Boy pool corrugated metal. The whole dock/wall just pulls out at the bottom and lifts free of the building. The doors are just a representation not a scale door, again to better hold up in the weather.

All that is left to do is some signage and I have some definite ideas on that. Will keep you posted. Rick

That’s fantastic Rick. One thing your idea for the dock does is to completely disguise the real purpose of the building. For an outdoor storage building, that is a very good thing. The wood for the dock looks naturally weathered. If it’s not, how did you achieve such a natural look ?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/good.gif)

Very well done… Looks great…

That end is slick! Nice project. How many cars does it actually hold?

So the whole end is just a plug that friction fits? Very cool! Reminds me of Richard’s work and that is said as a compliment.

Adding my 2 cents on a great structure. I think it looks fantastic.

Hi, thanks for the comments guys, it was a fun little project.

John,
Disguising the storage track look was what I was trying to accomplish. The dock is just cheap second growth Redwood that was stained with a black leather dye and alcohol mix then sealed with Thompson’s clear wter seal. One thing about Redwood it will darken with the weather sometimes going almost black.

Bruce,
the building will hold sixteen 1:20 scale cars and four short cars like a caboose. The building is 8’-4" long by 30" wide with 4 tracks.

Ric,
A high compliment indeed.

Thanks all,
Have to go to the sign shop next.
Rick

I tinks it rooks great!
Truly is a nice Building.
David

Very cool
Nice work Rick!