Large Scale Central

A Big Mahalo -- Seven Years Since the Golden Spike!

I just wanted to issue a big “Mahalo! (Thank you!)” to the LSC community for helping to guide the Triple O to its current state!

Here’s where we started when my old “friends” first took to the tracks on their new permanent pike, their first since 1995:

I like to take an overhead shot each year to, yes, brag a bit as I see how it’s changed. Place of pride has always been those items that came down with me from the '80s when my brother and I got our first sets. This year, though, I wanted to ensure that the projects, rehabilitations, repairs, and “rudder corrections,” as well as the bits, parts, sweat, and even a few stray vehicular donations also made the shot to pay tribute to those who’ve helped us along.

Yes, Kid-zilla is in the photo. He wanted to join the various projects in this railroad seek-and-find!

This project continues to be fun, and I am grateful to have stumbled across this community and for the chance to be a member. Here’s to what 2022 brings the Triple O!

Eric

4 Likes

Wow Eric. I have admired a couple things about your pike. One is that you prove that the “rules” are more like guidelines. The notion that you have to have 8’ diameter curves and half an acre to build a layout that is enjoyable just doesn’t fly with me and you prove it. I also love all the elements that have been brought in to make it a truly family adventure.

The overhead shot is amazing to see where you were to where you are now. Beautiful layout.

There is an exception, @Devon_Sinsley , the admonition from CINCHOUSE, “It cannot just be YOUR hobby!” To her the honors!

Thank you for your kind words. This has been a real labor of love. The kids have made it a family affair, and I do not look forward to the day when the passing of time inevitably makes this “just my hobby.” I do hope, in the meantime, our efforts have inspired someone else somewhere to take some hand-me-down Christmas set or their childhood trains, grab the clan, and, in the words of Tom Trigg, “Get outside and get dirty!”

Eric

Eric,

Its a high likelihood that the kids will drift away. But since they have such a vested interest in the layout I doubt it will drift far. And my guess is they will come back to it, at least in some way. They didn’t watch you participate in your hobby, they participated in their hobby and they have an investment of time and love into the railroad. I can’t say that about my railroad, I started back into it to late. But I have other things that I have done with my kids at very young ages and on their terms and they still hold a love for them today.

Tom Trigg, there is a name from Garden Railways website, he was a real fountain of Information. I remember early conversations you had with him when I was lurking and not joining in. He would be very proud of what you have done Eric and the whole family

Congrats! The layout looks great!

my, how the years fly…

Eric, I was cleaning up last weekend I came across this

awesome picture from GR magazine

that is a neat picture. Is there a write up for it. I’d like to see that.

Devon, it was in the readers gallery section, just gave a one small description

Devon,

That photo made it on the table of contents page and the “Readers Gallery” of the last issue of GR. The Triple O almost became a featured railroad at one point. I used the draft for an article in the Rose City GR club newsletter (I am a member; it is the closest club!), and it was a nucleus for an article in, of all things, Tropical Fish Hobbyist.

The photo description read: “Island Rails. The Mueller Family of Kailua, Hawaii, sent a picture of the North Star. It’s a Bachmann 10-wheller pulling a late-afternoon passenger train past ‘Bandit Rock’ on the Island of No’u’ea on the Hawaii-inspired Oberammergau, Ogden & Olomana RR. Eric Mueller says they generally don’t weather equipment, as the bright colors of the railroad seem to blend right into the flowers, verdant greenery, and sunny skies of their island home. The trees are rosemary; the smaller plants are a mixture of daisies and happily-to-scale weeds.”

It has been a really, really incredible journey!

Eric

2 Likes