Large Scale Central

#9 Turnout Build

Nice! I was going to make a comment on your first sentence, but Bob’s away so I will refrain.

Yea, Jon. There’s a certain Christmas Ballet by Tchaikovsky whose title gets me that way too…

Izzat the Cashew Cruncher? :wink:

WARNING: This thread may contain nuts. Craig, that switch of yours is turning into a masterpiece. You must be nuts too…

After I typed it out, I realized my mistake… :slight_smile: It’s very hard to find a small brass nut on carpet after it flings out of your pliers while your trying to grab it. I thought the vacuum might find it, but no luck with that either. Bummer, lesson learned order more scale nuts and bolts than you need for when you lose them. I knew these were going to be tiny, but dang I was impressed by the quality. $10 for 25 wasn’t to bad either.

Nice detail Craig. That switch is really looking good.

“It’s very hard to find a small brass nut on carpet after it flings out of your pliers while your trying to grab it.”

Craig;

That is because, just like Kadee coupler springs, these items are so small that they fall through the space-time continium and into the future. That is we find them months or even years after we have lost them. :lol:

Really not funny, as I have lost my fair share of such things, but I swear that it really seems like they fall into the future. It is also why I never throw away any of the extras in a Kadee bag - never know when I will need a spare because some other tiny part shot into the future.

Best,
David Meashey

This thread DOES contain nuts. :lol:

Now, if I could just find that cracker. :stuck_out_tongue:

Your absolutely correct Dave. The problem is; when we come across these items in teh futuure we give them a puzzled look and say " what in the hack IS that thing? " - My wife keeps candy diskes full of odd bits we find that no-one knows what they are from :slight_smile:

Craig Townsend said:
After I typed it out, I realized my mistake... :) It's very hard to find a small brass nut on carpet after it flings out of your pliers while your trying to grab it. I thought the vacuum might find it, but no luck with that either. Bummer, lesson learned order more scale nuts and bolts than you need for when you lose them. I knew these were going to be tiny, but dang I was impressed by the quality. $10 for 25 wasn't to bad either.
Craig,

Add a tiny smear of silicone to the tip of the pliers, attracts/retains the tiny parts very nicely. :wink:

Okay so it’s been a while since I updated this topic. But progress has been made…

(http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/426962_10151024967146912_2022108294_n.jpg)

(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/552406_10151027178056912_1050823400_n.jpg)

I was going to say it is done, but then I realized that I needed to add 6 more joint bars to the rail. I think I will just use the llagas ones as they look better than anything that I can make. Then other than paint it should be mostly completed. The switch stand to make this thing actually function as a turnout might be next on my list of things to do, but I’m still stumped on how to build the thing.

Amazing detail Craig. Make the 6 joint bars yours will look just fine.

Dave Marconi said:
Amazing detail Craig. Make the 6 joint bars yours will look just fine.
I'm still thinking about it. The llagas ones are nice, but they would require a lot of work just to cut them apart, and in the process risk messing up some of the detail. Some NBW details and some strip styrene and it should go somewhat fast...

Hey Craig,

Great looking switch detail, a little to much for me, but looks great. BTW are you on the yahoo “NP Modelers” site? I’m thinkin it’s you or there are two people running around with the same name. I wish I would have realized you were in Bozeman. My wife and I just came back yesterday from visiting my mom in Bozeman. Got some good pictures of the NP depot and even met a gentleman name Wes who has an outdoor 7-1/2" gauge railroad right down the street from the old depot.

Chuck

Chuck,
I sent you an email… I guess it didn’t go thru. Yep it’s me. No layout in Bozeman right now as I’m in grad school and live in Family Housing on campus. I think they would frown upon my tearing up the landscaping to put in a layout. :slight_smile:
I’ve rode my bike by that layout by the Depot. I was wondering what gauge it was. It looked to me that it was abandoned and well over grown with weeds?

Craig