Large Scale Central

#9 Turnout Build

After deciding that I wanted to build some correct 1/29 track, I figured my first major step was to build a turnout. The area I’m modeling has #9 and #11 turnouts and 110-90lb rail. Big for the garden, but small for the real thing. The 110-90lb rail works out to be code 215, and code 172 (if I can find any, or decide to use code 205) So after copying off a set of NP Standard Plans for the #9 Turnout with 100lb rail I’ve got everything I need.

From point to the tip of the frog it’s 72’ scale feet. I started by gluing tie plates to the rail sections in order to establish the correct tie spacing without having to worry about the ties moving, or having stringers underneath. I also cut the web, and head of the rail at the correct lengths to represent 39’ sections. This way I’ve will retain as much as I can of the full 6’ lengths but have 39’ sections.

Then I started spiking the two straight legs of the turnout. Picking a spot that was between the points and the frog, and didn’t require any special tieplates.

Filling in with what I can before moving on to the complicated stuff.

Next I started building the frog. I can’t really lay the diverging route until I get the frog completely built.

This required a lot of filing, checking against the plan, filing and more filing. I now have the point assembly of the frog glued together and am waiting for the JB Weld to dry before I can fine tune the point. Meanwhile I’ve been working on adding details to the wing rails. No pictures yet. I drill and glued in Atlas track nails on one side of the wing rail to represent the bolt heads. On the opposite side I’m going to use either a NBW detail, or build something out of styrene. I’ve also got 1 point filed down to the basic shape, but that too will require more final filing to fit the stock rail. I can’t file anymore on the points until I get the rest of the turnout built. Craig

Looks like a good start.

I’ve finished the filing, and building the frog. One wing rail has Atlas track nails as bolt heads, the opposite side will have NBW detail

(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400759_10150476817496912_838651911_8827047_1429990397_n.jpg)

Complete frog 16’ 6" long just like the prototype.

(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400759_10150476817501912_838651911_8827048_435409310_n.jpg)

Testing out the frog/wing rail clearance.

(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400759_10150476817506912_838651911_8827049_359357636_n.jpg)

(http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400759_10150476817511912_838651911_8827050_109735264_n.jpg)

(http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400759_10150476817521912_838651911_8827051_167147384_n.jpg)

I glued the frog assembly to a piece of .010" styrene that I plan on cutting out after everything is dry. Then I’ll use some .020" strips to make tie plates. Once the frog is dry the rest of turnout should be fairly easy, except for the last point I have to file down (the last one took me about 2 hours) Craig

Nice use of JB Weld on the frog. I need to do that instead of being as picky as I am when I build them…

Bob,
The JB Weld turnout out quite well. It seems fairly strong, but I made sure the point of the frog fit really well together before I glued it. It’s the first time I’ve used JB Weld and I’m quite impressed. Once it was dry it was really easy to file, and clean up.

Craig

Stupid question: Will the JB work equally as well on brass rail?

I personally don’t know, but would suspect that it would work just as well. Here’s from the JB Weld website
"What does it bond to?

Virtually any combination of iron, steel, copper, aluminum, brass, bronze, pewter, porcelain, ceramic, marble, glass, PVC & ABS, concrete, fiberglass, wood, fabric, paper – just about any porous and non-porous material. "
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

It doesn’t seem to want to bond that well to styrene.
Craig

Thanks Craig, I might have to try it again. I did not have much luck using it for a non RR related item several years ago. Will get some “fresh” JB and see how it works. BTW that is one awesome looking piece of work as well.

Randy McDonald said:
Stupid question: Will the JB work equally as well on brass rail?
Yes....

Craig,
Nice work!
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments. Today I was able to cutout the styrene that holds the frog together, and started added additional detail. NBW, & foot guards. The detail on frog adds a leave of realism that I want to achieve. I have had to leave off some of the details that are on the inside flange, because of the large flanges of the wheels. I’ve done all this work by hand, but next time I think I would set up a drill press and mill out the frog assembly of the points. And have a consistent placement of the NBW, and bolt heads. But for the first real attempt at making a frog I’m pleased. More pictures to come…

Craig

On JB Weld - you do have to be sure the parts to be joined are very clean. Have used it in repairing car (the kind you drive) engine parts. If the surface is contaminated with oil or grease, the joint will be weak.

Great pictures of a great project. Stimulating to me as I beleive I’m finally going to get at some construction this winter. And what I figure to get at is the construction of one switch and a little bit of trackage on a flat panel that can be stored up right and out of the way when necassery until I have the space and time available to build the scenery on it. Great work on that switch ! :slight_smile:

Nice looking switch Craig.

We’ve started using a 3M double sided tape at work that the 3M rep claims is used to hold parts of jet liners together. They say with proper surface prep and application the bond is nearly impossible to break. I wonder if it could be used to assemble frogs, etc. ? It is 3M VHB tape and comes on several carriers for different applications. I might snag a few inches and try it out.

Jon Radder said:

We’ve started using a 3M double sided tape at work that the 3M rep claims is used to hold parts of jet liners together. They say with proper surface prep and application the bond is nearly impossible to break. I wonder if it could be used to assemble frogs, etc. ? It is 3M VHB tape and comes on several carriers for different applications. I might snag a few inches and try it out.

and at the price I found it, snagging may be the only way I’ll use it. :slight_smile:

I think the frog may be complete now! There is one more detail I have to add, but it will wait until after I get the turnout built. Some minor filing may still be needed, but that too will come when the turnout is completed and I can run a set of trucks through with everything in gauge.

(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405950_10150478312401912_838651911_8832368_1606412560_n.jpg)

Bolt and Nut detail on one side, bolt heads on the other side. The bolt heads were Atlas track nails. On the far right hand side those two pieces of styrene are ‘metal foot guards’. They too have smaller bolt details I found in my scrap box. Just little tiny brass nails that seemed to have a rounded head. There also should be more foot guards on the far left hand side (you might be able to see the bolt heads) but those would be in the way of the wheel flange so I’m leaving them off for now. I may end up taking a thinner piece of styrene and placing it there, making sure that the styrene piece does come out past the head of the rail. The only thing I would do differently in the future would be to drill the holes for the detail parts after the frog is completely assembled. I started working on one of the wing rails as the point assembly was drying. But it would have been better to drill everything at once instead of trying to guess were the ‘bolts’ would line up at. I’m sure once it’s in the turnout and weathered it wont stand out at all. Again this is my first attempt at building a frog. So for those of you that haven’t tried, its not that hard. It just takes patience, and a good small file! Craig

Dave Marconi said:
Jon Radder said:

and at the price I found it, snagging may be the only way I’ll use it. :slight_smile:

True, full rolls are expensive (around $90) but that would be a lifetime supply for a modeler. I’ve seen short rolls advertised around $20. There are many different grades so some research is needed before purchasing.

I got a full roll of that VHB. It is strictly amazing. I use it to hold bits of my sailboat together, as well as other tasks around the house. As I recall, I got a pretty good price from uline…

Anyone know of a good source for scale sized high stand switches? I’ve got a Lllagas high stand, but it scales out to about 6’ in 1/29. Anyone know, or have tried to use a O scale stand?

Sorry no real progress yet on the turnout. I’m trying to figure out how and what to use for the frog tie plates.

Craig

Accucraft has a nice switch stand, not sure if it is high enough for your needs tho.
Edit to add: They are the ones that come with their AMS code 250 turn-outs, but you can buy them separately.

Or you can build your own…check Bruce C. s build in the articles section here.