Large Scale Central

8 1/2 inches or rain in a few days...

Besides burning down the neighbor’s house, here’s what 8 1/2 inches of rain in 4 days has done to the railroad.

Much of the chicken grit ballast has gone away. This little 1/2 inch pipe didn’t carry all the water. In fact, it’s plugged solid.

Newer track, where we put “decomposed granite” as the main structure and chicken grit for decorative and leveling purposes held up better.

The ground is a little squishy. Sully complained, “how did I get a 3rd pair of shoes full of water?” I replied, “by wearing them out here.”

The bridge we put for water to pass worked pretty well.

Only because the water went through farther down. We had set the concrete blocks into the ground a little way to support the track bed, which was pretty tall here.

Here’s the piece of pipe we were going to put in to let water flow through without washing out the track. It was on the OTHER side of the track way back by the fence.

The new bridge abutment got rearranged.

As well as this “mountain.”

It took quite a freak of weather to flip that bridge over that way Lisa thought it’d look better with the trains going through rather than over it. They don’t quite fit.

The Grand Canyon has formed in “New Mexico.” Yes, I know it’s in Arizona. Perhaps we’ll just change the name of this part of the garden.

“New Mexico” has moved into the yard.

The locals call this stuff “soil.” I call it “sand.”

And the whole neighborhood smells like a barbecue.

Geez Tom,

That is a lot of damage. I never realized that the damage from weather would be prototypical as well. After seeing all the damage from snow and now from flash flooding it makes think we have more in common with the full size deal.

Devon Sinsley said:

Geez Tom,

That is a lot of damage. I never realized that the damage from weather would be prototypical as well. After seeing all the damage from snow and now from flash flooding it makes think we have more in common with the full size deal.

Devon, yes, we have to do some civil engineering to allow for the proper flow of water. But its nearly impossible to plan for such extreme amounts of water. Even the city planners here in Pittsburgh didn’t plan properly for the last really big ran we had.

I believe that would be the Abo Canyon in NM…

I’ll propose we call that “Abo Canyon.”

Here’s how we intended to build it BEFORE a big rain came.

Though I’m not sure it would have held up to THAT. Apparently, we get a chance to test it coming up as they’re expecting storms for the rest of the week. Hope we can get by without a fire.

Sully cut the pipe so it would sit on the ground to let water in easier, but I’m a little worried about the dirt bottom washing out from under the pipes and… we’ll see.

I’m working on plans for an ark.

Pipes should stick out more.

You should have some way to hold that fill above the pipes. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’m afraid that the drain pipes “Culverts” in that last picture will be washed out quite quickly, as the stuff over them will not hold back any water if it gets that deep…it looks nice, but in reality, it isn’t in the same scale as the rain storm you had.

Good luck… BTW…the reason that you had better luck with the crushed stone, than the chicken grit, is that the crushed stuff has sharp edges and tends to lock together better, but in reality what you need for a base is nothing less than 1/2 inch crushed stone, and then “Decorate” with the fine stone dust type for a more lasting ballast. Retaining walls work well too, if filled with the larger stuff. The real railroads call it Ripp-Rap, or something. It is usually formed of all sizes of heavy rocks…anything that water currents won’t easily move. The erosion of your bridge abutments, is called “Undercutting”, and can be prevented by using a good 6" layer of over 1/2" crushed stone, as a WIDE base for your retaining stones, and then for a nice effect, line the stream bed with a good thick layer of those round stones found in bags at your local garden centre.

These are just suggestions offered, based on a few experiences I’ve been involved with around here. Do what you think is best, and remember that experience is a cruel teacher, but do you ever learn fast !!!.

It’s great to make things look nice, but Mother Nature shows you quickly, that “Nice” has to be an illusion, backed up with strength, and durability. (Over sized Culverts would be a good plan too)

Fred Mills.

That is appalling Tom. I hope it can be repaired with reasonable time and cost. It makes my replacement of ballast and minor attention to switches caused by my boisterous farm dog pale into insignificance.

If I showed my wife the damage in your pics of your place then everytime I moaned in future she would instantly remind me of the gentleman in Oklahoma!

I think I’ve finally managed to convince him that decomposed granite is better than 8 inches of chicken grit.

I worry about the new culvert. But then, we usually don’t get THAT much rain in that short a period. Maybe I should build it out of concrete. The mountains made of mortar suffered no damage.

Tom Ruby said:

I think I’ve finally managed to convince him that decomposed granite is better than 8 inches of chicken grit.

I worry about the new culvert. But then, we usually don’t get THAT much rain in that short a period. Maybe I should build it out of concrete. The mountains made of mortar suffered no damage.

Good Idea!

Tom At the very least I would grout the culverts. You already have the concrete wings. I would grout around the culverts up to that concrete. The rip rap the rest of that dirt above the culverts with sharp angular rock. And also the area leading up to the culverts. As for the dirt in the culvert remove it and replace it with like big clean (no fines) crushed rock 1 1/2-2"

In this picture you have the concrete wings (though it is part of the tube) and the rip rap around it. They used round rock but angular rock locks together.

“You don’t have to engineer it that heavy. That was a hundred-year-rain, it won’t have to stand up to that again.”

Well, after the second “hundred-year-rain” of the month:

Enough rain to fill up a wheelbarrow.

The new culvert stood up pretty well.

I still think I should have given it a cement bottom.

The outlet washed out below the cut off pipes.

Overview.

The original flood prevention bridge held up again.

Water was still flowing through the gorge, but I forgot to include the photo.

Tom, We New Mexicans like to spread around some of that “Land of Enchantment”. The damn enchantment blows around and covers everything in a fine power most call dust. We don’t have dust here, we have Enchantment. Now you can call the pike “Enchanting”. We have been trying to help improve Texas’s image as best we can for years. But its a big state and it needs a lot of Enchantment to make it better. Now Oklahoma has a good head start and doesn’t need to much help.

Well, not a whole lot of “enchantment” floating around here THIS year. More like mud.

The weather station says 22.5 inches of rain for May, and 2 more days to go. 2 1/2 inches during lunch today. The culvert and the bridge seem to be holding up nicely. We were going to take a trip tomorrow, but since it might not rain, we might be working on the railroad tomorrow.

We got a heavy downpour about ten days ago. Nothing like you got. I lost some ballast, mainly where it was on newly laid track. The older areas held up. The Ballast has worked it’s way down to form a hard pack. Someone posted that after a few years of re-ballasting, it would be better and it has been. I saved a few buckets of crusher fines and re-ballasted the new stuff. I have layers of different grade rock to form good drainage and a packed base for the track. They sell it as crusher run up here and it works pretty good until mother nature figures out where are the weak spots in your drainage. Then I re-learn where to put the culverts. Water pressure and erosion is real, even on a toy scale.

After seeing what Texas got on the news, losing some toy train ballast would be a joy!

We got a heavy downpour about ten days ago. Nothing like you got. I lost some ballast, mainly where it was on newly laid track. The older areas held up. The Ballast has worked it’s way down to form a hard pack. Someone posted that after a few years of re-ballasting, it would be better and it has been. I saved a few buckets of crusher fines and re-ballasted the new stuff. I have layers of different grade rock to form good drainage and a packed base for the track. They sell it as crusher run up here and it works pretty good until mother nature figures out where are the weak spots in your drainage. Then I re-learn where to put the culverts. Water pressure and erosion is real, even on a toy scale.

After seeing what Texas got on the news, losing some toy train ballast would be a joy!

They brought in a big machine this morning and removed the neighbor’s burned house. I’m taking care of the grass for him, but I don’t expect there’ll be a lot of it left once construction begins. They actually were pretty tidy with the big wrecking machine.