Large Scale Central

7/8ths Logging equipment

So the big Willamette is just about finalized. Got a split drum on the top to make a three drum version. Hopefully soon you will get to see that modification. I also came across a picture of one of these that had the front frame embossed. So I added that to the design.

That will probably conclude that model. When I get my 1:20.3 version assembled with boom and skids and decked out with cable I will share.

So since that design is in the books I have been working on the second piece in the line. A Dolbeer “logging engine” which is the name Mr Dolbeer gave his donkey in his patent. Here is what I am after

I love this photo because it just happens to also include a Willamette of the same design as I just got done designing. So its kind of neat to see the two machines I set out to design in one photo and amazingly I just found the picture after I had already settled on the two designs

and here is where I am with it.

Oh and anyone who has come to know me knows that when I model I like to do more than just attach the pieces where they go. I love learning about these pieces of equipment and how they were used and what the parts actually do.

On my model their is a small drum off to the side, in this picture it sits to the side of the pink “girl” drum.

I got a drawing of a similar machine from my friend Dennis who is an expert in 1800’s logging operations that had this drum labeled as the “straw drum”. When the conversation turned to the Dolbeer, I noticed some of them also had a small horizontal drum. Now I wasn’t sure what it would be for. As a small skidder that was most likely drug around where it was needed by the main drum I couldn’t quite figure what it might be for.

Dennis informed me of the purpose of the straw drum and it makes perfect sense. The “straw line” (a small cable connected to a pulley down where the felled trees are) is used to return the main larger skidding cable down to the trees. When the main line was drawn up to the winch it needed to be returned to the logs. It was too large and too heavy to be man handled. Prior to the “straw line” horses were used to drag the line back to the logs. Dennis said this is why so often in old photos there is a horse standing near the steam donkey. As an advancement in operations the “straw line” was introduced. They took a smaller line down the hill through a pulley and back to the steam donkey. When the main line was hauled up, its end was attached to the end of the straw line and the straw line was wound onto the straw drum to pull the cable back down the hill. As the log came up it returned the straw line to the winch. Pretty ingenious. And now we know why these little drums were included.

1 Like

This show
Has a modern version of that your making/made I think
https://www.netflix.com/title/81349493
Great work There Devon buddy !

I love that show Sean and yes they use modern yarders.

I hope they do a second season

Ho Lee Crap…ZZ top in the early years! Dusty’s dead man!

I about peed myself because I thought exactly the same thing. He hadn’t changed in 100+ years

Great work, Devon. I’ve not done a Dolbeer, it’ll be fun seeing your progress on it.

Great pic. That amazing beard caught my eye:

beard

Totally ZZ Top. Even has the sunglasses.

1 Like

And all I could think was “A blind logger, whodda thunk”
:sunglasses:

1 Like

It most surely is a Photoshop hack. :-1:

Mike is close to releasing the willamete. He has informed me that he is going to offer it in 7/8 and 1:20.3 just as the hoist first. Then offer add on for the boom and a tank and some other features to allow for customization. Incase someone wants a hoist for some other reason than logging.

The 7/8ths is ready except one piece i need to beef up. He is printing a 20.3 version as we speak.

I have to say I am kinda surprised at my own ability as a CAD model designer. That is a pretty cool model and I still can beleave i designed it.

Devon,
You are a good student. You get an A+ :+1:

1 Like

Joe,
Thanks. That does mean a lot. I sent an email Dan Hilyer just today thanking him for like the 100th time. I could never have done this, especially in the short time I have been doing it, had he not held my hand and walked me through the learning process. I give him as much credit as I could take. The student is only as good as his teacher. And so many of the things I needed to master to pull this off Dan walked me through. Right up to and including PDF study guides.

So while I am not afraid to say I am proud of this I also have no problem sharing the credit with Dan.

2 Likes

So the 1:20.3 version came of the printer. And Mike sent me a picture of the two together.

This one will be mine. But he is offering both sizes. I cant wait to get ahold of it and put it together.

Sad part is he has a copy of a Willamette catalog and he sent me this.

I think with parts already made i can put one of these together will minimal extra work. We will have to wait and see.

I want you to explain how it works first :crazy_face:

So the first hoist set up is for the loader. It could be hooked to any of several different loader options like a boom or whatever.

The middle one was used as the yarder. The thing that skidded logs up (or down) the hill to the deck.

The rear one was used to set the next skyline ( the cable rigging used by the yarder). As the current road (skid line) was being worked logs were brought to the deck by the center one. Loaded by the front one and an entirely new line was set on the next road by the back one.

Each donkey had its own crew doing each of the particular jobs.

Would have been very interesting to watch work.

There is a similar machine at Bald Knob camp on the Cass Scenic RR. I tried to make sense of all the drums and gears. It made my head hurt!

1 Like

So I think we might be ready to do a test print on the Dolbeer