Large Scale Central

7/8ths Logging equipment

We already have the engine done. I will get to reveal it very soon. It is less the winch and is more in keeping with the euro style Stainz. But he does have a square window cab version that is more American looking. I want to make a wood burner stack for it like the Hunter style diamond stack and then make a gypsy winch that will be add ons. And then I hope to design some logging disconnects also.

Obviously this will be a design project over a long period of time. But when I am done I am hoping we have an entire logging set based of his Stainz build, that he can offer for sale and I will make a buck or two along the way.

I should be working but when the boss is away the kids will play. I am the only one at work today and well . . . what can I say. Instead of working I spent some time on Fusion. Here is the latest

1 Like

Ssshhh…You never know when the boss is listening :open_mouth:

Wait, aren’t you always the only one at work?! I thought I remembered you saying you were the sole employee of the water district!

While it feels like that a lot of the time. . . No their are four of us

Great work, Devon! And I’m sure you’ll enjoy the challenge (read: banging one’s head repeatedly against a wall) as much as I did! :grin:

You mentioned starting with a Willamette, which I have a catalog for (and you might as well). If you have a model number, and care for more info, I’ll scan and send the cat page if it’s listed.

Best luck!

Cliff

PS, I’ll admit I was hamstrung by two over-lofty goals: 1) to do the 5 large scales of this simultaneously; and 2) make them all motorized. Avoid those, keep chugging, and you’ll be fine! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Now, IF THAT doesn’t cause a hole in your head…

1 Like

There were upsides to the project. Like, it made me way forget all about work.

But, like Hollywood would say, “YMMV.” :grin:

Is that a euphemism for something?

Cliff,

I have no model number. Just a vision and an image. This will be a very freelance project. Not looking to replicate anything in particular. The only reason the wilamete came up is I like that funky firebox

No Cliff, I’m not that clever nor can I spell that word.

Devon said to me once that he was the only office guy other than the water board directors. I guess the directors like to get paid too? First brain survey/surgery over here we got talking about water stuff as my father in law works in the water “industry”.

Devon,

This looks like it will be a fun project. You are quickly becoming a 3D modeling master. Give us a breakdown of how this donkey will be printed when you get it figured out. Like how many prints and what groupings. Are all the little details going to be printed with the main boiler ( those that are attached)?

1 Like

Dan,

You calling me master is truly a high compliment. Considering none of it would be possible without you instruction. This model uses patterns on planes. Manipulating planes,combining sketches
, and the such. All things you have walked me through. If I am a master its only because I have had the best instructor.

Now for the details. So far the base is one piece. The boiler another. Then the side braces will be another. This will have a lot of individual pieces. Its a kit that will require assembly.

Most of Mike’s customers are overseas. So Shipping is a consideration. So pieces need to be robust enough that people can assemble them without them breaking. All that is being taken into account.

To become a great teacher, one requires a great student :nerd_face:

1 Like

Sounds like a great deal of thought has to be given to how a complex project will be printed even before the design and modeling can start ……… a little more than simply hitting the print button :wink:

Dan,

This will be by far the most indepth project yet. You are 100% correct. Its not just a design and hit print project. This will likely have 20+ individual pieces. Designing is one thing. But at the same time I am employing my scratch building experience to “see” how it has to be assembled.

So things like pins and sockets, recesses to mate parts, fitting the print bed, etc all have to be taken into account.

This is the first project I have designed that needs to be a functional kit assembly. And then add to that, this will be an entire line that will be assembly kits.

It will push my skills as a “maker” to the limit

Sometimes what might appear to be a straight forward design project becomes quite complicated just to get everything printed properly. I find that complexity enjoyable as it develops new skills and thought processes.

Looking forward to following your progress.

1 Like

And here I thought it was Idahoean for “You need help drinking that, right?”

[edit to add this:] :grin: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[edited again to add this to say I’m sorry for sidetracking:] :sob:

1 Like

Devon,
Take that idea of interlocking parts and make it triple complicated by having said parts need to also be flat…

My never ending snow dozer project in CAD has flat etched parts that fold into shapes but then those folded shapes also interlock with other folded shapes.

My advice make sure the interlocked parts have some tolerances built in. Don’t know how fine tunes the 3D printer is but I’m sure there’s some tolerances that creep into it.

1 Like