Large Scale Central

7/8 scale trains...on H0 track ?

Hello Happy Members !
Thanks for adding me as a new member of this great community.
Maybe a crazy idea (I’m very well known for that on other forums !):
running 7/8 scale trains on H0 track ? Thanks for your answers.

I wouldn’t see why not. It would be a pretty tight gauge but doable, I would think.

Thanks for your reply. I’m thinking about using a small Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. First thing I need to know is the dimensions of very small 7/8 critter. Something like that:

It’s your railroad, so enjoy as you will. Looks like a great limited option train type. Maybe single large plant with multiple buildings think steel mill, paper mill, or such. Mines and quarries. Great shelf and small space ideas. Looking forward to your vision. Welcome aboard. :sunglasses:

Chris,

I have nothing to add too your thoughts so I will just say “Welcome Aboard”

7/8 on H0 - or expressed differently: in 1:13.7 scale on 16.5 mm track.
in one-to-one that would be track, as wide as a normal sheet of paper.
that seems to me, like amusement park ride on trains… or very small industrial or mining ones.
why not? as has been said: “It’s your railroad”
as long, as you can live with the restriction, that an “Orient Express” would look somewhat out of place…

be welcome!

Korm,
Would the math work out that a 7/8" scale train is actually a model of a 15" gauge 1:1?
Or a 7/8" scale on HO gauge be equivalent to a 1.5" scale on 7.5" track?

That’s what popped into my head. Or just do Gn15… Which I think is something around 1/24?

in 7/8 scale our 45mm track represents a 2’ gauge.
H0 (16.5mm) x “7/8”(1:13.7) = 226mm. - 15" is 381mm.
7.5" track means 19mm wide. H0 is 16.5mm wide. (19mm is near the old 00 scale track)
Gn 15 is a 1:22.5 scale representation of a 380mm gauge. (on 16.9mm track) - so, near enough for guv’ment work.

edit: (380mm = 14.96")

So if Gn15 is representing 15" gauge in 1/22.5, then 7/8" with HO track might be close to 1.5" on 7.5" track.

A model of a model…

Thank you very much for all your answers. Much appreciated. I already built a few Gn15 monsters…

1 Like

I also need to find a 7/8 scale driver. But where ? I don’t have any idea…

It’s no crazier than trying to be involved in this hobby on while living in Polynesia! Welcome aboard!

Eric

as you need figures between 12 and 14 cm, have a look at articulated “action-figures”.

The Hornby chassis is now ready for a nonsense transformation in the famous 7/8 scale !

Very good idea ! Thanks

I built a sort of mockup with empty cardboard boxes. Just a test. Dimensions are roughly 8cm x 12cm. Hope that works… :slightly_smiling_face:

Chris;

I think the Guinness Brewery had an 18-inch gauge railway inside its brewery which used a small steam locomotive. The locomotive had a standard gauge “cradle” to allow it to shunt rail wagons delivered to the brewery. You may want to try to model something similar. I think it is fairly well documented, so you could perhaps search for information online.

Best, David Meashey

what Chris is doing, is on 0.65-inch track in 1:13.7 (7/8) scale. (where standard gauge would be 4")
that would be gauge 8.9 inch gauge in 1:1 scale.

Korm;

I was just suggesting the locomotive as inspiration for other projects. or perhaps estate or amusement railways could provide inspiration? There were all sorts of very small-gauged railways used for mining, contracting, and even garbage hauling at dumps back in the day.

Regards, David Meashey

It runs…with a very strange driver ! :laughing: