Large Scale Central

3d Software

Thanks all for your insights. I too have long experience with Acad, Pro E and Solidworks, but am nearing a point in life where I have to give up the company software, and move onto a platform I can afford. So all this is very helpful.

I found a series of videos on F360, and have been really impressed. Not sure if this means anything to everyone, but the fact that they’ve cracked the “T-spline” nut is very cool. And since I work in both solid and surface modeling worlds, their blend of parametric and freeform approaches seems quite new and helpful to me.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/youre-looking-at-fusion-360-wrong-and-i-completely-understand-why/

The price point seems quite good, $25/mo. Sure, I’d rather not pay that; but compared to Solidworks or some other professional product, that’s pretty cheap.

Cliff

I use Creo (Pro-E) because it irritates Cliffy…and that is what work pays for. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)I quit using the T-Square and Pencil in 1995.

Chris

Cliff: you can get a “hobbyist“ license for Fusion 360. That’s how I’m using it now.

I don’t care for software that stores my designs in the cloud. I really prefer to have them on my hard drive.

Like you and others Bruce, I am also a fan of keeping my files on my local computer. However, considering the costs to go to the big programs I am used to running (AutoDesk Inventor, Solid Works, Solid Edge, and Pro E), it is very prohibitive for the hobbyist. A typical computer to run these packages effectively will be in the 8-10K range. The software packages are all going to a subscription based system, meaning you pay a 5-10K up front (initial purchase) and then a 2-3K per year after to keep the software running. I will admit I am entrenched in the methodology of design of the big packages. I have tried Sketch Up and could never get the hang of how to generate a useful model, plus I work in my garage/shop and need the paper drawings to make parts from…a feature the free version of Sketch Up and others don’t have.

Also, I am seeing a slow but continuing shift in the market place to have the bigger companies go to cloud base software. My company is a 25,000 employee company has moved to Office 365 cloud based for office products. I hear they are considering other software we use going to cloud as well. And I found that interesting considering we are a US Government contractor, you know, security and all that…

As for Fusion 360, I spent the 45 or so minutes reviewing their video on how it works and found it to be very much Inventor in a cloud environment. So anyone who has worked Autodesk Inventor, it should be a breeze to get up to speed. I posted the AutoDesk link where they state clearly that the IP (Intellectual Property) is the originator and AutoDesk has no claim to the IP. As for file security, I have dealt with AutoDesk since the mid '80s (started out on AutoCAD 1.2, came on 2 360K floppy disks…remember them??), and have always considered them an honest company. I need to expound on Cliff’s statement of cost for Fusion 360. His statement is correct at $25 per month, IF you purchase the full year subscription…or $300 up front, otherwise if you do a month to month payment it will be $40 per month. The cost savings will depend on how frequently you plan to use it.

Onshape, the Dessault Systems cloud based version of Solid Works, it is also very much Solid Works in the cloud. Again familiarity with Solid Works and you should be up and running in short order. I have not been able to find a direct statement regarding IP, such as I found for Fusion 360. Onshape is free for educational use, but files are marked for EDU. Their Public offering is FREE, but I remember reading somewhere (I can’t locate it offhand) that there is a limitation to the number and/or types of files you can store on the server, and if memory is correct, it would not support any complete, say ground up rolling stock design or moderate building. The Professional version is $1500 per year. I consider that a bit steep for hobby use.

The only real advantage I see to the web based packages is that they will run on just about any device you own, so long as it has a browser. I am sure the speed factor will be relative to the graphics capability of the device you are running on, but that kind of portability has value.

Per this link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autodesk-Fusion-360-Changes-to-Benefits-November-2016.html

The license is free “For Hobbyists and Startups making less than $100K per year”. When my 30 day trial ran out, I had no problem getting a year’s subscription at no cost. I would imagine most of us on this forum could take advantage of this.

Cliff Jennings said:

Thanks all for your insights. I too have long experience with Acad, Pro E and Solidworks, but am nearing a point in life where I have to give up the company software, and move onto a platform I can afford. So all this is very helpful.

Cliff

Have you seen this video? This is a free program!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgMY3-hlgs&t=407s

Todd Brody said:

Cliff Jennings said:

Cliff

Have you seen this video? This is a free program!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgMY3-hlgs&t=407s

I saw that video and it convinced me to give it a try. The price is RIGHT. Now I just have to teach my brain how to use it effectively. So far, I haven’t done anything complicated, but I sure do like that I can store stuff on my hard drive.

I also downloaded the Fusion 360 trial and converted it to the hobbyist license. I also ran into a glitch out the outset that required several of their back end technicians to work out and I have to say their customer service was excellent and did not appear to be any different from one having a full-price license. They also claim they will never change the licensing structure that provides the hobbyist or educator discounts.

For those getting started with Fusion 360: check out Lars Christensen’s tutorials. He’s very good.

OK. Now I’ve downloaded the Fusion 360 and converted it. Watched the beginner tutorials. To me, it seems more intuitive than Design Spark Mechanical, but I really haven’t tried any of my parts yet.

It’s all interesting.

Thanks for all these suggestions.

Eric Reuter said:

For those getting started with Fusion 360: check out Lars Christensen’s tutorials. He’s very good.

Very good indeed! And he’s got lots of different ones. Watching a bunch of them, but haven’t created anything yet.

Burl Rice said:

Per this link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autodesk-Fusion-360-Changes-to-Benefits-November-2016.html

The license is free “For Hobbyists and Startups making less than $100K per year”. When my 30 day trial ran out, I had no problem getting a year’s subscription at no cost. I would imagine most of us on this forum could take advantage of this.

Thanks Burl, that’s a great deal.

I like what I see so far in Fusion, in that it seems like a professional tool having advanced features such as those in SolidWorks.

I’d be interested in knowing if it can import SW part & assy files, that would really help.

[edit] Apparently it can import at least basic parts & assemblies, so that’s encouraging. It can also take various typical 3d formats, stl, step, etc.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/849e3578-f5d9-4f64-a0cf-750f9e2492f2.html

Well, after giving Design Spark Mechanical a go, my brain has found that Autodesk Fusion 360 seems to be more closely aligned with the way I think. I do not care for the cloud storage feature, but everything else just seems more intuitive to me. But, HOLY CRAP - there’s lots of stuff to learn. Very neat program with lots of good guidance on YouTube. I had no problem converting to the hobbyist license.

Bruce Chandler said:

Well, after giving Design Spark Mechanical a go, my brain has found that Autodesk Fusion 360 seems to be more closely aligned with the way I think. I do not care for the cloud storage feature, but everything else just seems more intuitive to me. But, HOLY CRAP - there’s lots of stuff to learn. Very neat program with lots of good guidance on YouTube. I had no problem converting to the hobbyist license.

Now, if only my brain could really be trusted. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Still, I am very pleased with Autodesk Fusion 360. Catchy name, too. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bob, I’ve used Tinkercad since I began 3D printing, about 3 years ago. I found it very easy to learn (since I had never done any mechanical drawing or design). Since it’s written for current 4th graders, I have a chance to understand it. I was a guinea pig for their beta product, and found it much improved from TC 1.0. TC has a gear making routine that has improved the performance of my Bachmann trolleys. I’ve got no problem with “cloud,” it saves space on my computer, and allows unlimited undos. Imporant to me. I understand that Autodesk is trying to make Tinkercad more like Autodesk, and that’s probably OK. One more feature of TC is that updates are free and automatic.

As for me, what a difference a year makes. Then, I was using the free version of SketchUp, learning Fusion 360, using my daughter’s old Cricut machine, and getting 3d prints from Shapeways and the public library. Fast forward a few months, and I have sprung for the full version of SketchUp, bought my own Cricut Maker, and bought a 3d printer (I think I must have robbed a bank or something but my memory is kind of hazy on that point).

Oh, and I’m still learning Fusion 360 …

Ever since I began 3D printing at my library, I have used Tinkercad. It’s easy to pick up because of its graphics-based approach. It’s free and online, so it doesn’t take up space on my computer, and Tinkercad keeps all the designs on their computers. It is pretty flexible, but doesn’t do curves as simply as I’d like, and doesn’t do things to scale (you can’t make something 15 feet long in 1:32 scale, you got to figure out what that is). I’ve made things as simple as a sign, or as complex as a craftsman house, also windows, doors, and load covers to hide batteries and remote controls.

If I wanted to have the cad work done for A Southern Pacific SD9 that would be suitable for 3D printing, who should I go to? I’m really not interested in trying to learn it and do it myself. Might be kind of a loaded question, but I need to start somewhere. Two or three SD9’s are on my bucket list.

I would ask Mark Dashnaw

https://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/21677/my-services