Large Scale Central

3d Printed Weld lines?

My .02c worth, the welds are not being ground , he is moving way to fast to do any grinding , and the grinder is angled too steeply, he is just removing the slag from the weld or the little beads leftover from the welding process.

OK Pete but what I was pointing out by linking that video is:

1. The welding is most likely NOT being done by a robot.
  2. The welds are ground smooth.
    This shot from the vid shows both.
    I honestly didn’t notice the fella with the grinder until I rewatched just now.

Maybe not much $ for the grinder dude. But when the weld inspector shows up, get out the big wallet, haha!

welding-certification-3g-test

Or a 4 pass weld:

One more:

Those look more like what the video shows to me. A 4 pass word makes more sense to me than a ground weld in terms of manufacturing. But both would have similar appearances from the 3’ view point.

FWIW, This is a vertical seam weld on a cylindrical hopper from a few inches away (my phone was touching the side of the car)

1 Like

For that weld line a half round strip is exactly what you should and could use!

I’ve never seen a weld like that up close before. They always look stacked dime style.

I bought some half round strip 1mm wide. I think it will work out even though it’s over twice as wide as it should be!

Trinity 3281 Covered Hopper weld

No longer rivet counters but weld thickness counters. :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Once you add primer and paint it will probably be 4x as thick. That said I’d probably do the same thing.

Wonder if some thin .010" music wire or brass wire would work?:thinking:

I can’t remember now how big the archer weld decals were.

Back when I assumed the welds had “texture”, I thought of using upholstery thread.