Large Scale Central

3d Printed Weld lines?

I just made a yogurt based curry with chicken and curry and coconut milk in my instant pot

It had a heavy dose of cardamom

Iā€™m gonna let everyone in on a secret. . . If at ever you want an excellent meal of cardamom chicken and cream puffs just tell Craig you need brain surgery and a place to stay. . . Not kidding. If at ever you are starting to lose faith in humanity. . . Craig and his family can restore it. . . Thank you and your mom and dad. Your family is a rare treasure.

You donā€™t even need a brain or brain surgery and Iā€™ll still treat you right with some creampuffs! Just come over and play trains. My goal once I get ops going is to convince people to come by bribing them with good food and treats.

1 Like

I know I can be a bit mushy and sentimental at times. . . But I also have no problem expressing my genuine gratitude and appreciation for kind hearted people who love unknowingly and unconditionally. Craig and his parents are those people.

Trains, LSC, and ā€œthat which we canā€™t mentionā€ has given me a friend I will cherish forever.

1 Like

Well good thing a brain isnā€™t required. . . Wait little i used to have leaked out

Pardon my French but screw trains. . . Ill lie and tell you whatever you need to hear for your cream puffs and your momā€™s chicken. . . Iā€™m not proud

So I did a little experiment. Resin printed bead 1.4mm wide.

2 Likes

Ironically Dan as Archer is reopening under new ownership. :joy:

How thick is the weld line? Looks good but seems a tad ā€œthickā€ unless thatā€™s the look you need.

The one pictured is .6mm

Do you think itā€™s possible to go thinner without losing the details?

Should be able to go to about .4mm (1/2" weld).

Nice Stack oā€™ dimes!

this welding line looks too perfect for my eyes.
i have seen many welding in my life. from ships to agricultural mashines.
they were all better, than my own, but never geometric perfect.

rereading the whole thread, i had to think about:

who has but a hammer sees nails everywhere.
who has a printerā€¦

to simulate a welding line, i would use a siringe with a not so liquid glue in it. the glue will settle by itself, and it will look slightly irregular.

and for rivets, well oldfashioned pins:

sg-tender7

Funny, I had thought of applying them to my Cylindrical hoppers but they are not perfect enough! Modern railcars have the weld lines ground smooth. I think Iā€™ll be going with half round Evergreen strip instead. Or maybe I could mount a syringe on the 3d printer. :laughing:

Wonder if the smoother ones are machine weld vs humans weld?

That is a very smooth weld.

Possibly but evidence suggests
not. Just ground smooth.

1 Like

Iā€™m just trying to think why a rail car manufacturer would waste time and money grinding down welds.

Maybe the MFCL would have an answerā€¦

More aerodynamic for better fuel efficiency! :laughing: :laughing:
I canā€™t imagine it takes much time or money.

Good to see you, Burl.