Large Scale Central

3d printed Centerbeam flat

Some progress on my “shorty” centerbeam flat. It’s only 24 7/8" (~60’ in 1:29) but I think it captures the look.

I plan on sharing the files on Thiniverse once I get a few things sorted out.

1 Like

Beautiful work Dan,

-Ted

1 Like

Dan,

What type of printer did you use? The 60’ centerbeams came around a few years before the 72’ ones. So they existed, just not too many of them.

Craig Townsend said:

Dan,

What type of printer did you use? The 60’ centerbeams came around a few years before the 72’ ones. So they existed, just not too many of them.

both FDM and resin. Mostly FDM but the smaller bits like the ratchets, load blocks and L brackets on top are resin. My model is 60’ end to end. The 60’ centerbeams were 60’ inside the bulkheads also I believe they were “opera window” style.

-Dan

Awesome job, I love to see more people getting into the 3D printing, I have some structures (small) I have done.

I love that you showed your drawings.

Dennis

Very impressive - great work!

Dan,

Yes the early 60’ where Opera style opening and just like every other single freight car out there, there multiple manufacturers and types. The 72’ bulkhead to bulkhead seems to have standardized most of the centerbeam flat. The CAD files would probably be fairly easy too modify to make a 72’ length.

Dan Gilchrist said:

Some progress on my “shorty” centerbeam flat. It’s only 24 7/8" (~60’ in 1:29) but I think it captures the look.

I plan on sharing the files on Thiniverse once I get a few things sorted out.

So good to see someone doing the lessor modeled cars as opposed to a new copy of an everyday item. Glad you went with the 60’ car. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Craig Townsend said:

Dan,

Yes the early 60’ where Opera style opening and just like every other single freight car out there, there multiple manufacturers and types. The 72’ bulkhead to bulkhead seems to have standardized most of the centerbeam flat. The CAD files would probably be fairly easy too modify to make a 72’ length.

I drew the model using the dimensions of the 73’ BNSF car as a guide but only used 4 of the 6 “standard” strut sections. For those wanting the longer car, they can add those back and stretch the top bar and deck. It would then be a scale 74’ 8.5" between the bulkheads.

-Dan

So good to see someone doing the lessor modeled cars as opposed to a new copy of an everyday item. Glad you went with the 60’ car. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’m revisiting some of the projects I started long ago. Maybe I’ll finish the cylindrical hopper next! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

i want this!!!

will it be added to thingiverse?

excellent work!

John K. Saunders said:

i want this!!!

will it be added to thingiverse?

excellent work!

Thanks John. I’ve started uploading the parts to create the Thingiverse design page but the car is not quite complete (brake details, stirrups). I may just go ahead and publish it anyway as a work in progress.

-Dan

I’d go for five of these when the plans are all done.

Dan if you throw this on Thingiverse lets us know. I have a couple people who may want me to print some if I can get the pieces on my print bed. I am using the Photon Anycubic so I don’t have a huge print space. But the pieces you have it broken into look like I might be able to get it on there.

Devon Sinsley said:

Dan if you throw this on Thingiverse lets us know. I have a couple people who may want me to print some if I can get the pieces on my print bed. I am using the Photon Anycubic so I don’t have a huge print space. But the pieces you have it broken into look like I might be able to get it on there.

The first one I did mostly FDM. The struts would be much nicer in resin and center one barely fits my Elegoo Mars (120 x 68 x 155 mm). I’m printing them now. Each strut is about 10 hours.

I might stand a chance then. I have 115 x 65 x 155. Only a few mm difference. I’d be interested in the files if I could beg, borrow, or steal them from you.

I wouldn’t mind having a couple for my STMA project (the diesels I am building). While I was modeling their logging operation they equally hauled the finished product also. So a few center beam would be appropriate. And I do have access to a filament printer and possibly even a larger resin printer.

So if you are willing to share that would be awesome.

Dennis Rayon said:

Awesome job, I love to see more people getting into the 3D printing, I have some structures (small) I have done.

I love that you showed your drawings.

Dennis

As a newbie to 3D printing and CAD drawing I have to say I have fallen in love. I was not to big a fan on filament printing because it lacked fine detail. But as soon as I saw what resin printers could do and their radical drop in price I bit the bullet and am so glad I did already. Between readily available files and learning CAD I am printing all kinds of stuff. I think as our hobby continues to decline this will be the wave of the future. Readily available detailing parts and the younger techy nerd kids will find a new love for an old hobby.

As promised, I’ve shared the files on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4813013

Here are some pics of the second model. For this one I printed all the center struts in resin. Just need the COTS decal and I’m toying around with some .8mm picture hanging wire for the cables.

I’ll be adding the “Opera window” style panels as well which is more prototypical of the shorter car.

Check out the wire bead section at the craft store. They have a variety of strands and diameter of wire.

That centerbeam looks really cool. You’re crossing off my bucket list of builds…

Up for doing a Thrall All Door boxcar next? :wink:

Craig Townsend said:

Check out the wire bead section at the craft store. They have a variety of strands and diameter of wire.

I have. I find the .8mm 7 strand twisted wire i bought is a really nice representation of the prototype cables.

That centerbeam looks really cool. You’re crossing off my bucket list of builds…

Up for doing a Thrall All Door boxcar next? :wink:

Thanks Craig! I have looked at those. Would be fairly easy as the ends and roof are simple and I already have a decent plug door I did for the Reefer rebuild project.