Large Scale Central

3d human design software

Has anyone used MakeHuman for creating figures for railroading?

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/

Looks interesting

1 Like

All the time. Makehuman and Blender are a great combination. Printed this guy with a Halot One resin printer:

http://martinsant.net/preacherPaint.png

2 Likes

That is REALLY nice looking!

I used it. Got my figure a designed, then opened Blender to dress it. My Mac told me I didnā€™t have a good enough graphic card to run Blender.
I have a ten year old Mac, itā€™s due for a replacement.
But if I were going to get in 3D design, the guys I know have PCā€™s that are set up for gaming.
So Iā€™ll let others do my work for me.

I have a PC that is about 9 years old now. It has an older graphics card, an Nvidia GeForce 1030. Its running Windows 10. So itā€™s not like you need a lot of power for these programs.

With the 3.0 release of blender, there is a plugin called MPFB v1.9 that allows you to directly import a model from makehuman. You open both programs, make your person in the makehuman window, then a dropdown in blender allows you to import whatever is shown in the makehuman window. Itā€™s pretty slick, you donā€™t have to save from MH, then open in blender, it just directly transfers it.

http://martinsant.net/blendhuman.png

I have two monitors so one has MH, the other is Blender. I use one of the ā€˜cannedā€™ poses in blender that is close to what I want, then tweak the bones in Blender. You do have to edit the mesh a bit in blender order to remove the inside mouth and eye sockets which is a bit tricky at first but once you get the hang of hiding and selecting vertices it goes pretty quick.

1 Like

I have been wanting to make some people but was not sure how to go about it. I might have to give this a try.

Not having used the program before and only kinda played with blender, what is the need to take it to blender?

The other question I have is how easy/hard is it to get a more 1880ā€™s look to the people?

I may be wrong, Devin, and some one can correct me. But I read that make human makes a naked person. Fat, skinny, etc. Blender adds details like clothes, etc.

If you donā€™t want to design,
We have ordered several files from this guy.
You can shrink or enlarge them to your scale.
I recently talked to him about ā€œold timeā€ figures and he plans to make a few files.

https://www.designscanprint3d.co.uk

Those are cool but much to modern. I will have to give a hand at trying to do some figures myself. Not sure how patient I will be with trying to put clothes on them unless that is easier done than I think it will be.

There are clothes in Makehuman, it comes with a default set. There is also a community web site where users contribute clothes, shoes, boots, hair styles, hats, etc. Some are crap, some are really good.

Makehuman also has canned ā€˜posesā€™. Like the clothes, some are junk, some are great.

The point of pulling it into Blender is that you can add a skeleton in MakeHuman, and that imports into Blender. Then you can alter the pose in various ways using the rotate tool. Select a bone, then rotate/move it into position. It takes a while but you can fine tune each finger if you want.

Blender is tremendously powerful, you can even pull motion capture files in- I found a motion file of someone sweeping the floor and applied it to one of my people. Then I picked a frame out of that and exported the model and printed it.

Here is a fisherman that I clothed and posed completely in MakeHuman before I imported it into Blender for fine tuning.

http://martinsant.net/fisherman.png

Here he is printed in resin:
http://martinsant.net/fishermanresin.png

Well, I updated my Mac to a new Studio M1 Max (Ventura OS) and a 5K studio monitor. MakeHuman runs at the speed of light compared to the old Catalina OS.
So Does Blender.
But apparently Iā€™m not smart enough to work with the two together yet.
I can design a figure using the Mkehuman app and convert it to an STL file for the printer.
However, Makehuman Assets (more add ons like clothes poses, etc) havenā€™t adapted to Ventura M1 and donā€™t work. The app freezes. According to the Makehuman forum, this is a wide spread problem. (not just me).

Here is a lad designed in MakeHuman and printed by a friend of mine.

1 Like

WOW!!

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

John that looks great. I started down this path. And itā€™s quite entertaining but I was/am in the middle of the challenge so no real time. But I need to spend some time with it. I got the make human part of it down for the most part. I made a reasonable looking guy.

It was the blender part. I didnā€™t really even try that hard but wasnā€™t able to even get started other than to import my guy.

But after looking at your young man I might need to keep exploring it. There is a radical shortage of files that I can find anyway to make turn of the century western people.

Holy cow, thatā€™s fantastic.

Devon,
I too want to make some scraggly loggers and miners.
You can do a lot with just the few Makehuman choices and paint the figures differently and scatter them about the layout and no one would notice.
I have all the models of donkeys and such that Mike printed, but they need some rough dudes to go with them.
Iā€™m assuming Blender can do this. (I could be wrong). I havenā€™t a clue where to start. I canā€™t even find the ā€œarmatureā€ tab to bend the bones in the model. (Let alone add boots and hats.)
I got the STL from Makehuman to show in Blender, but thatā€™s about it.
Blender has way too many options for my 76 year old brain to comprehend.
I even tried Sketchup. It all loads but that is the end of it.
I need a geek to take me by the hand and help me. :laughing:

Okay you are about where I am with it then. I got a decent guy but he was modern and somewhat generic. I couldnā€™t figure out how to bend him either. And also adding the clothes.

My oldest was working in Blender a while back and advertising his services. Since he moved a little over a year ago, I havenā€™t heard him mention it. Heā€™s a gig worker and having trouble making ends meet so might be willing to tutor via Zoom or such for a small fee. Iā€™ll ask if you want.

Jon, Iā€™ve watched dozens of Utube Blender and Makehuman vids and still canā€™t fathom it.
It requires plugins on both Apps and Iā€™m still trying to figure those out.
Iā€™ll keep the offer of his services on hand and let you know if we can do something.

Martin,
The ā€œassetā€ downloads of MakeHuman have not kept up with the latest Apple OS (Max 1). It has been
talked about on the MH forums and they admit it is true.
Now it may work fine with the latest PC and intel chips, but I have owned Macs since the first oneā€“(job related). So I really donā€™t want to buy a PC as well.
Having said that I still have my old Intel Mac. Iā€™ll fire that up and see if Assets will run.
As far as Blender, I will have to admit Iā€™m getting older and dumber, it is a little overwhelming for me.
If I could find just a figure modeling program with out all the other stuff, that would be great.