Large Scale Central

30% off MyLocoSound soundcards for one week

It has now been five years since MyLocoSound started selling its large scale soundcards in America. To celebrate we have decided to hold a one week promotion exclusively for Large Scale Central members by offering a big 30% discount on our steam and diesel soundcards. This means the usual price of US$79 is reduced to US$55 for one week only starting today.

You can read about and listen to our steam soundcards at www.mylocosound.com/largesteamsummary.html and diesel at http://www.mylocosound.com/largedieselsummary.html.

To purchase, go to www.mylocosound.com/lscspecial.html which contains the discounted prices. Do not use the “How to Purchase” menu on our web site which contains the standard prices.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound

The price is real attractive. Its a shame the bell doesn’t sound a bit better.

I have one of these installed in an aristo mallet and am very pleased with it, may order a pair for my remaining non sound equipped steamers.

http://youtu.be/710_N6w9rj4?list=UUwMjohN9cUAnPLelryMRxmw

David,

Please can you send me a YouTube link to a video with the kind of bell you would like to hear?

Do bells vary much across the US?

Thanks
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Peter, I don’t think bells vary that much. But the bell on the video you have is very…electronic. It doesn’t sound like an actual bell to me.

I will do some looking and see if I can come up with something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJb-_v3x8A

I dipped my toe experimentally in to MyLocoSound cards this spring because I thought its compact size and cheap price would be good for trying to fit in to an HLW Big John engine which has limited room for speakers, sound card and battery even though I had heard mixed reviews and the youtubes of the sound was…just okay.

My surprise was to find that the sound quality is very adjustable and depends on the speaker you choose. Speaker quality makes a lot of difference with this sound card. Go to Parts Express and look at their full range drivers. You can find nice looking 1- 2" drivers that get down in to the 100-200 Hz range in 4 and 8 ohms resistance for a bank breaking 3 to 5 bucks a piece. The common complaint with a MyLocoSound card is how the bell sounds. And rightfully so. It sounds more like a video game or the tone an elevator makes between floors but what my brother and I found experimenting with speakers is that a good quality speaker REALLY makes the bell tone sound MUCH better. Still…it pretty much sounds like a joke/toy. I just choose to turn the bell sound off on my MyLocoSound cards. The whistle on the other hand is a good thing and can be tuned from a simple whistle all the way up to a mutli-chime whistle. Overall the card can be tuned to sound like anything from a geared logging loco to a big steam engine and the whistle can be tuned likewise.

The steam chuff sounds pretty much PERFECT and is very adjustable to make a believeable ‘chuff’ all different types of steam engines. You can find many cheap transmitters on ebay for a couple of bucks and set up the whistle on the mylocosound card to be operated remotely, you only need to stash the receiver card and a 9v battery on board and you will have remote control of the whistle tone whenever you want to hear it.

It’s not perfect…but for this sale price…it’s pretty hard to beat.

I ordered two of Peter’s diesel soundcards this morning for my RS-3 and F3A, I already had the speakers from parts express so I’m looking forward to adding sound to my diesels soon from this sale.

Scott

Peter
I am going to try them, ordered 3, I love sound, and I am not real picky about having perfect
sound or timing, I just don’t like silent engines, thanks for your discounts.
Dennis

Thanks for the very useful feedback about our bell. Message received and understood.

Tony Walsham of RCS says that steam loco bells are different to diesel loco bells because the former swing with a loose clanger inside whereas diesel bells are fixed and are struck with a hammer. Anybody disagree with that?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Tony is right on with his assessment.
Ralph

Peter whenever I click on either of the sound cards on the LSC Special page, it goes to Paypal page, and tells me it is down. Is it supposed to go to Paypal? It didn’t even ask me for quantity or anything, just that funky Paypal page!

Never mind.

Now it’s working!

Peter, yes that is true, and the older steam locomotive had a bell that was rung manually, and the more modern ones had bells that were run mechanically, so the rhythm is a bit different.

David,

Thanks. We are looking at recordings.

Regards
Peter

I listened to the samples and while these may be OK for the money, I’m not impressed.

Why can’t you or someone come out with a sound system that is comparable to the Phoenix or Sierra of 15+ years ago? I would gladly pay twice the price of your current unit to get something that has the polyphonic sound and features of those two units that runs on simple analog track power.

Please tell us this is your next venture.

Todd,

I don’t disagree with you. Our current range is designed to be flexible, robust, easy to use and economical. However, we are indeed working on an upmarket version and will announce it here as soon as it is ready.

Regards
Peter

Peter

just ordered 1 for our B-mann Thomas who is due for a Battery/RCS-AU upgrade.

I will need 3 more in the near future (Christmas sale? hint-hint) so all the kids can have sound in their locos.

Thanks for the Discount-it really helped!!!

Cale

Yea, the Sierra unit was a nice unit for the price, even though it did have its shortcomings.

The My loco sound has had my interest for a while now. The price is right, I just am not thrilled with the bell sound. That is just my opinion, and my opinion taint wurth much.

I realise I’m too late for the special.
But I thought I’d share my thoughts on these units since I have a couple of these (from different stages from release), all steam.

For a unit that doesn’t use any real sounds recording, these are very impressive.
And a good replacement for cheaper sounds units like in the Bachmann Big Haulers.

The Chuffing features work great, from a heavy bark when starting/powering, to a gentle tsh sound when coasting along.

My only problem with the newer units is the whistle trigger. (when I try to use it)

Granted it does work, but you (or at least I do) need a lenghty piece of magnet for the whistle to sound just right.
I’ve been using LGB trigger magnets and all I get is a half a second woop.

I think these input triggers were more designed for radio controlled locos, rather than track power (I did order the track power unit each time), but this does give RC users the ability to play different whistle lenghts and such.

Thank goodness the new units do come with a TV remote control, so this isn’t a major issue to me, plus you can sound the bell, guards whistle, safety vales and westinghouse pump.

Another thing that slightly bugs me is that tuning the whistle is not easy with a remote compared to the old tempod method. But that’s mostly because I’m really fussy when it comes to wanting the whistle to sound exactly like the prototype.
(I probably spent 2 to 3 days trying to adjust the whistle before accepting the final tune)

I have noticed (at least on my new one) that if you tune it to a certain point where it’s trying to pick from one tone to another, it plays this odd musical ‘modem’ kind of sounds.

The Bell suprisngly doesn’t bother me as much as the whistle.

(But that’s mostly because my loco’s lack bells, so I don’t need them as much)

Overall I love these units.
While yes, there are other sound cards that provide much better quality.
But for someone who DOES NOT have any DCC to freely program and adjust settings, these are a great, easy to install and use for old school Analoge users (Which is saying something since I’m still called young in my late 20s), and Remote control users to.

The one thing I would like to see in future is a Main volume control.
While you can adjust individual sounds levels, it get’s tricky when you want to switch the volume back and forth from indoor to outdoor settings. (or at least a button to switch between 2 pre-programmed sound levels)

Another thing to is maybe a Chuff pitch like the whistles, so you can have a deeper chuff for heavy locos and lighter chuffs for small switchers/porter and such. (I think someone said it is adjustable, but I can’t seem to make any difference with mine)

Matt,

Thanks for the interesting response.

We still have a few of the soundcards which were on sale so email me at [email protected] if you want any at the sale price.

I can adjust the whistle duration before shipping the soundcard so let me know how many seconds you want and I will set it to sound that long when triggered. Please also specify if you want the whistle to sound automatically each time the loco moves off or not.

We can also update your existing sounds to the same spec if you would like us to. There is no charge for this.

We can’t do much about the bell on the existing soundcard but I can confirm that the new soundcard, when the American version is released, will have a recorded bell.

Thanks for the idea of a master volume control. I will look into the possibility.

The chuff pitch is determined very much by the speaker. A larger speaker with a strong bass response and an effective baffle will sound much deeper.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound