Large Scale Central

3-way turnout?

Who manufactured a 3-way (RTP) unit ? For some reason I have it in me head that someone did . . .

Checked AC online Cat. but did not see one. Closest seemed to be a wye unit !

Hashing out a new extension to the RBR, which may involve three tracks. Could do the ladder yd. style, but if 3 available and applicable would likely be cheaper . . .? Have seen RJs’ 5 way (in georgia) .

Thanks,
doug c

RTP ready-to-plant :wink:

Just ordered a Llagas Creek 3 way but it’s code 250. I don’t know if they make one in 332. You might check Sunset. I believe they may have 332 switches and therefore a 3 way.

LGB used to sell one, but it was a useless 2 foot radius…They also made a double slip of the same radius…

Thanks Guys !

Yeah 332 pls.

I kind a thought of lgb 2 ft rad okay i guess as long as it within a yard with no looong pcs of rolling stock. But already had a engineer backing out tooo fast out of a stub with a small rad lgb resulting in a derail of half dozen cars.

But figuring I only need a couple ‘wide’ turnouts to achieve what I’m hashing out so not so bad.

nite, doug c

Check out Axel’s web site.
http://www.train-li-usa.com/store/switches-yard-switches-c-54_29_57.html
You could also check out this thread.
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/9/aft/113052/afv/topic/Default.aspx
Good Luck
Sean

Thanks Sean !!

Definitely a product to look at !

I’ve stumbled across RJs’ thread on his project about 30 hrs back but did not know where the switch was acquired from (in the u.s.a.) !

Now to review scenarios (use and $$$)

But alas, for the RBR funding is still an issue.

doug c

Fred Mills said:
LGB used to sell one, but it was a useless 2 foot radius........They also made a double slip of the same radius......
Not that useless if thats what radius you use. ;)

It’s tight, that is for sure. Our club has one on an indoor layout, only my Shay would go through it, there was no way I could get an RS-3 through it.

But if you need compact, and your locos run great (not ok, but great) then you could use one. Running through a 2’ radius switch is much rougher than just a 2’ curve I found out. (Never ran anything that tight until recently).

I have one of the Train-Li 5 way switches, preliminary testing is good. I wonder that the LGB 3 way might be about the same cost?

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

I have one of the Train-Li 5 way switches, preliminary testing is good. I wonder that the LGB 3 way might be about the same cost?

Here’s my guarantee: I will have two of the LGB 3-ways for sale in the near future; they will be a fraction of the cost of the “Masten Heinz” product. They have been barely used since they are of little use. Bought in 1999, discovered how “good” they are in 2009! :wink: :slight_smile: OTOH they are perfect if you run R1 as max radius. :smiley:

Why not just build your own? Stub switches are the easiest to build.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/Orange%20Empire/orange03.jpg)

Why build when you can buy. Train-Li should have what you need and quite reasonable. Better than the LGB as it will have much larger radius. Later RJD

Egads…I went to the supposedly “Great” web site for “Train-Li”, and almost fell into deep depression…Their prices make whatever is left of LGB look very reasonable… I don’t think anyone should even consider them as a “Reasonably priced” source for track of any kind.
True; I’m not a fan of the Aristo product, quality wise, but geeees…I’ll stick with Aristo for track any day…especially switches…
The Aristo switches need a bit of work to make them acceptable, but the work is easily done, and then you have a WR switch that is at least within a working man’s budget…Forget this Train-Li stuff…I wonder how long they will stay in business…at those prices…on all their stuff for that matter

When you build your own you can make them work just right. And, it’s a LOT cheaper.

Bruce Chandler said:
When you build your own you can make them work just right. And, it's a LOT cheaper.
And there is a lifetime warranty on all parts and labor. :lol:

Hehehe. Well, when I first started my rebuild of my layout, my design called for 24 switches. I had none, since I was switching to code 250 from 332.

There was no way I was going to be able to spend $2400 for switches, so I started making my own. Mind you, it wasn’t my favorite activity, but I’m now capable of adjusting these to work well.

Steve Featherkile said:
Bruce Chandler said:
When you build your own you can make them work just right. And, it's a LOT cheaper.
And there is a lifetime warranty on all parts and labor. :lol:
True so true :lol: and it will keep you flexible, how else would you be able to kick your own ass, eh!?! :lol:

:lol:

The train -Li 5 way manual is $265. This is code 332 brass and definately not R1 (2 foot radius). 3 way is only $40 less. If I remember correctly, the outer turns are bigger than LGB’s R5, close to#6

Now buy 4 switches of minimum #6 at at least $100 for manual versions, that is $400 and you need 9 feet to use the 4 switches from USA or Aristocraft!!!

Now go to remote, the Train-li uses just 1 motor, not 4 separate ones.

You get what you pay for in most cases.