Large Scale Central

2023 Mik Challenge - Gasoline fuel island

Wayne, Rule #1! Just have fun! This contest is really about learning what is possible in a short time on a limited budget! You will be amazed at the creativity that will unfold over the next several weeks!

Eric

Wayne,

In today’s day and age do you really have to ask that question? This is the generation of “tik tok” challenges where people convince other people to do stupid and dangerous stuff and film themselves doing it. I mean do we really need to warn teenagers to not eat Tide Pods or lick toilet bowls

If they put a warning on it, that means somebody already doodit!
A hairdryer had a warning “Do not use in shower”. Do you think that meant somebody…nah, nobody’s that stupid!

I agree 100% with Eric, but also add that it’s a great opportunity to get help and advise from a really great group of seasoned modelers. If you can’t figure out how a certain step might be done, just ask! You’ll be sure to get back at least three wrong ways and a right way! :open_mouth:

Yeah, and YOU get to decide which is the RIGHT way! :innocent:

I was trying to think of some witty response to this. But I can’t agree more with Jon. One of the things that makes this forum so much different than so many others I have belonged to, is it really does “feel” like we are in Bob’s living room. We have all walks of life here. And for the most part we all get along (well we tolerate Rooster) and just like a “real” close knit group we pick on each other, get on each others nerves, down right get mad at each other, but we also take real interest in what each other is doing and the advice flows freely. But unlike the “old guys” telling the “new guys” how to do it, it much more of a free flow of ideas.

So I second Jon. Don’t hesitate to jump in and ask a question. If you are following along on other threads we all pitch in and help each other with our builds.

I like using wood and I have some buildings that have been out since 08 and they are doing well. I had one that did fail. The secret is to build them strong and make sure that they do not stay damp after rain and snow. I have taken to using plastic trim for a foundation which stops the water from wicking up into the wood and placing the building on something solid like a patio block or cement board really prolongs its life.

Do you have any updates for us Wayne?

Yes I do owe you guys updates. First, one minor setback. I can’t seem to find the garage my father built, it is still MIA in the basement. Fuel island is still in progress.

So updates, first about me. Still working full time 40 hours a week, I am a truck mechanic on a utility fleet. I am also a volunteer scout leader, for over thirty years now. Knowing my schedule for the past few weeks, I picked a project for the Mik challenge I believe I could complete. I have been reading all the challenges, learning a vast amount of knowledge! In one of the Mik challenges, someone stated build with (raw materials) that you are familiar using.

The fuel island:

I had planned to add a sign to the new covered overhang from the MIA garage to island. Still need to have that sign, so I grabbed a piece of 7/16" round aluminum scrap for the sign post. The raw material for the sign it’s self is still in transit but will be here in time.

I also promised some history. First oil well was drilled here in Pennsylvania, 1859. Soon more companies were drilling and many oil companies developed. Speed ahead, Quaker State Oil was selling their product country wide. To help promote their lubricating oil, Quaker State bought a small fuel producing company, Sterling. They could reach more local sales for their oil products. The sign you will soon see on my early Quaker State island.

Yes, Sterling and Quaker State were selling fuel and oil in Ohio those early years.

My research hit this site about the discovery of crude oil. A lot of info in a short read:
Development of the Pennsylvania oil industry

The materials you have chosen will certainly make it through the test of time, Wayne. Great choice and thanks for the history lesson. Looking forward to see the fuel island come together.

Lining up the scrap parts needed to complete the sign post. I did purchased the necklace off ebay for the small link chain to support the horizontal sign bar. ($3.95 shipped)

The wire connectors will be modified to complete their task.

1 Like

Fnished:

More pictures, (beauty photo?) tomorrow. I have learned quite a lot reading all the Mic builds, thanks. Do I understand correctly, there will be a thread started to post the completed builds?

3 Likes

Yes… I will start the thread…

That came out great. Nice job.

1 Like

I realize I left out some info about the air dispenser. I was going to use an aluminum golf tee for the base, but shipping was going to be too long. Hunt through the junk drawer for a wooden tee I spotted this wedding table favor.

This diecast key made the perfect base for the air dispenser. Some more research I found out the early air dispensers did not have number dials. They had a pressure gauge and a regulator inside. Set the pressure on the gauge by adjusting the regulator.

Shaped a small piece of aluminum for the despenser. Added a thin bell wire as the hose.

3 Likes

Great job. I am always looking at various trinkets like that asking myself what I can use it for. That key has a great shape and it makes a convincing period cast iron piece.

Nice little trick!!! We probably all have stuff like that laying around that can be used like that, thanks. For the tip! It turned out great, hope you find the gas station or can make a replica to finish it all off. Many people come back to the old build threads and post updates or fixes , so keep us informed!