Large Scale Central

2022 Edition of Jan and Ric's Great Adventure

Great to hear Jan is doing well as well as the pouch. Thanks for the updates. i kind of been out of pocket and not doing much of the train thing. Later RJD

6 November, 2022 - Low Key Hideaway, Cedar Key, Florida.
Left Carlyle on November 1st. Wasn’t sure if or when it was going to happen this year. Jan is 4 months, 2 weeks and 4 days since having her left knee replaced and doing well. No cane, unless extremely rough terrain.
Our reason for waiting until November 1st to leave, is because of the day before - Halloween. Yes, we must be there to great all the little goblins. Its the rules, when it comes to traveling south. About 230 this year. Lots of fun!
Our goal is to get south of Nashville, Tn. the first day. Its about 5 to 6 hours of driving depending on traffic. Yes, there is another Nashville, besides the one just north of the Bluestone Southern. Yep, at first it surprized us, also. Made it to the Stoney Creek Campground, 27 miles north of the Alabama border. Used to be called “Texas T” because the prior owner was from Texas. It actually sits on the Stoney Creek, so the new name makes sense. Still a good place to unwind and get organized.
Second day south is down through Alabama. We get off the Interstate 65 at Montgomery and drive down US 231 to the Deer Run Campground. Takes 4 to 5 hours, this adapts, or begins to adapt us to the slower pace, the Southern Life Style.
Third day, we are in Florida after the first hour of driving. The weather is warm and pleasant, we change from Central to Eastern Time Zones and after a little while on Interstate 10, we hit the exit east of Talahasee that get down on US 19/98. What a glorious road. You drive through little towns of Perry, Cross City, and Old Town. You cross the Suawanne River and leave Dixie County and enter Levy County, Florida, pronounced LEE VEE, not like the jeans. Chiefland, Florida is the big town. They’ve got a Walmart, Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware. Here you can cut through the swamp or stay on the hard road all the way to the metropolis of Otter Creek and then wind down Florida 24. You are driving on right of way of the railroad that connected the east and west coast of Florida. The Florida Railroad went from Jacksonville to the Gulf at the pier on Cedar Key. That’s about 28 miles through swamp and Hammock. I’ll let you look that one up yourself.
Cedar Key is clams and pelicans, dolphins and sea breezes. Sunsets and sunrises. Old railroad history and kayaks. Bike trails and museums. Its nature walks and afternoon naps. Its “old Florida”. People love it or hate it. We’ve been coming here at least twice a year since 2011. We feel very blessed to have found this little piece of paradise. And extremely blessed to make it back here this year.
We will be here until Thursday and then head on down to the Ridge Live Steamers for the Winter
Life is good!

1 Like

Ric;
I will always remember our many meetings, and sharing of thoughts, and ideas. I miss your company, and dear Jan’s, always happy smile followed by a peck on my cheek…
Stay healthy, and safe…'till we meet again, we know not when, but we will meet again…friendships never die.
Fred Mills

You might want to hunker down in Cedar Key an extra day or two with the approach of Nicole and her wind and rain.
Hope to see you guys down at Ridge.

Sorry to jack up your thread Ric

Saw your post, Tom. Working on a decision. Thank you.

We’ve stayed there. In fact that is where we stayed twice heading to Ken’s. Nice campground. Close to the EBT.

9 November, 2022 - Ridge Live Steamers, Dundee, Fl.

Mr. Bowdler stated we might get to meet NICOLE. Sounds like an interesting name, might have a stormy personality. However, I’ve got a spirited gal in my life and don’t need any more excitement. Monday evening, we were looking at the weather forcast and the unknown track of Nicole. Choices were to stay out our time reserved at the Low Key Hideaway, until Thursday, that’s tomorrow. Beautiful site right on the water and a full moon high tide was probably 2 feet below the campsite pad. A second choice was to leave Wednesday and drive 112 miles down to Dundee, a day early. However this meant driving in rain and some pretty good wind gusts. Third choice was to see if we could stay at Cedar Key for a couple of extra days until the storm blew through Florida. Fourth choice was pack up and get out of there Tuesday morning. Have beautiful weather and a pleasant drive to Dundee. No wind or rain. No wet equipment or miserable anxiety of what was going to happen. Asked advice from an experienced camper, resident and business owner in Cedar Key and his statement was "If my house was on wheels I’d be out of here to a higher, dryer place than these islands and swamps.
Would you believe, Jan took option 4. We left Low Key Hideaway at 0858 EST and arrived at the Ridge Live Steamers at 1230. Simple drive, dry pavement, almost no wind. Setup, hunkered down and watched the forecasts.
This morning, we had a visible sunrise, that quickly dissapeared abov a low cloud ceiling. Spits of rain off and on all day. Temperatures are good, around 70 and the wind has been out of the north. Currently, the prediction is Nicole will be a tropical storm when it pass through here. The eye is forecast to pass east of us and we are kind of in a large swale protected by miles of orange groves on all sides.
Part of the railroad east of us has the highest point called Summit. For those familiar with the track plan of Ridge, this is above the tunnel and has a palm tree by the gazeebo. It has been getting whipped around all day. Went up to the pump house on the north higher side of the property to cut some aluminum and in a tin building with a metal roof, there was some noise. Hardly any movment down by our trailer, so hopefully it will stay that way as the night progresses.
2015 EST - drizzling rain, no wind to mention at this time. Biggest concern will we maintain satellite reception through the CMA Awards show. Currently a Category 1 Hurricane approximately 100 miles from West Palm Beach, Florida. Dundee, Fl. impact starting at 1900 Wedneday November 9 and ends 1300 Thursday November 10th.

Did I say, I hate Hurricanes?

Glad you and Jan made it OK! Right now we’re “enjoying” rain and wind bands from Nicole but they are forecast to pass by 3pm or so. The joy of life in Florida.

10 November, 2022 - 1824 - Happy Birthday to All Marines.
Made it through Nicole, unscathed. The eye passed around 0800 this morning and we actually had more wind impact after the storm passed. We are certainly more exposed to a southern wind. No major problems, a little cleanup around the layout, but we did well. Considering this event complete.

Glad to hear the event more or less “blew over.”

Eric

Rick Glade your all safe and sound down in FL. Enjoy. Later RJD

Thank you RJ. Glad to hear from you. Happy Thanksgiving!