Large Scale Central

2021MIK Feed Truck

So friend #4 (Pete) messaged me today with more information…

I was concerned about the drop axle in the lead photo. When I originally saw the picture, I thought that the drop axle indicated that it was trailer/pup set up like you see at gas stations. Pete reminded me that a truck and trailer set up like that would be really hard for some tight farms. He suggested a 20’ tank, to which I asked would a 25’ tank be big enough to require the use of a drop axle. Pete with all of his knowledge driving trucks said yes a 25’ tank would be appropriate for a drop axle set up like the lead photo. He pointed out as only a trucker would know that a heavy truck without a drop axle would overload the steering axle, hence the need to prove the drop axle.

The auger was styrene tube I had on hand, not sure the size as I just grabbed one that looked close. As for that motor, its actually half of a transfer case box that I had in the kitbashing box. I have since destroyed it in the process of being removed, but the good news is I had previously made a casting of it for my Pettibone Speed Swing.

So friend #4 (Pete) messaged me today with more information…

I was concerned about the drop axle in the lead photo. When I originally saw the picture, I thought that the drop axle indicated that it was trailer/pup set up like you see at gas stations. Pete reminded me that a truck and trailer set up like that would be really hard for some tight farms. He suggested a 20’ tank, to which I asked would a 25’ tank be big enough to require the use of a drop axle. Pete with all of his knowledge driving trucks said yes a 25’ tank would be appropriate for a drop axle set up like the lead photo. He pointed out as only a trucker would know that a heavy truck without a drop axle would overload the steering axle, hence the need to prove the drop axle.

The auger was styrene tube I had on hand, not sure the size as I just grabbed one that looked close. As for that motor, its actually half of a transfer case box that I had in the kitbashing box. I have since destroyed it in the process of being removed, but the good news is I had previously made a casting of it for my Pettibone Speed Swing.

I’m glad I have not been given a number.

I am glad you are getting the answers to your questions. I have no doubt your modeling skills are capable of producing it. Now that you know what you actually are trying to produce I think this qill.be a great model.

Craig Townsend said:

So now that I knew that this was just a cab and tank set up and not a trailer set up like I was thinking, I moved forward.

So, Craig are you saying this photo is of a tanker truck and not a tractor and trailer?

Dan Hilyer said:

Craig Townsend said:

So now that I knew that this was just a cab and tank set up and not a trailer set up like I was thinking, I moved forward.

So, Craig are you saying this photo is of a tanker truck and not a tractor and trailer?

Yep it’s just a single tanker truck and NOT a trailer. Most likely a 20-25’ length tank. So these three are all similar overall designs.

Isn’t that an axle just behind the fuel tank? Or is that wheel an optical delusion?

Dan Hilyer said:

Isn’t that an axle just behind the fuel tank? Or is that wheel an optical delusion?

Yes Dan,

I believe the axle behind the fuel tank is what is called a ‘drop axle’. Pete probably knows the correct term. I believe the idea behind it is that when the truck is empty, the axle is off the ground. When the truck is fully loaded, that axle is ‘dropped’ to spread the weight in order to provide better weight distribution. I believe the photo I posted shows the drop axle in the “up” position.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Sorry for so many questions. Well, I guess if had read your post at 8:38 properly, I would have already known the answers to my questions (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)I would have lost money on that being a tractor-trailer. Look forward to seeing your build progress.

No it was a good question. It’s certainly stretching my modeling ability. This is only my second vehicle type model.

Craig Townsend said:

No it was a good question. It’s certainly stretching my modeling ability. This is only my second vehicle type model. If that drop axle was dropped, I would think it’s a tractor as well but that photo to me seems that the axles is up. But I could be wrong

Drop axle or pusher axle both describe it well Craig. Looking forward to next update.

Devon Sinsley said:

I’m glad I have not been given a number.

Well we all know if I had said “I was Devoning”…

I just tried not to name people who aren’t on LSC. Well because who cares if it’s Bob, or George or Devon…

Sorry for all the double posts today. My phone doesn’t like LSC so it thinks I should post twice.

Rooster said:

Will you be modeling the GM demonstrator along with the mill feed truck?

Sure send me the completed model. I’ll even pay for shipping. Oh wait that photo was a decade or two after my modeling period.

So Pete, how are drop axles attached to the frame? Are they independent or joined by a axle?

Well a quick google search found a few pictures to get me the idea. Humm more bashing required.

I love priming projects because it feels like it’s getting closer, but I also hate priming because well it shows all the work still to be done.

See example A.

And example B

These little bits got transformed into a decent looking frame.

Lookin good!

Dude is it possible at all for you to make a model that is not hyper detailed.

No, seriously you are a talented man. This is gonna be great.

Generally the lift axle like you showed is bolted to the frame, and had the air bag suspension. Now since to are into the details, that lift axle should be close to the drive axles, if it was up near the front of the truck it would be “steer” each side would have some heavy duty springs to let the wheels turn at the truck goes around corners, and that axle is a dual tire axle . a steerable one would normally be a single tire. Am I messing with your head too much already? I will see if I can get a picture of a steerable lift tomorrow if I am out and about.