Large Scale Central

2021 Build Challenge - Rooftop Storage Tanks

Goodson’s Batteries needs some more storage for the various liquids that are used in manufacturing. They have the large tank, but need some smaller tanks for other chemicals. Here’s the official napkin-based blueprint of what might end up getting built. A small four-tank rooftop cluster, with various pipes, and a ladder to the top platform.

Yeah… Bob’s In…!!! Those segments look like either cat food cans or tuna cans?

Dave.

Not sure. I need to dig Goodson’s Batteries out of the shed where its stored for the winter, and then work on sizing what will look good on the roof. Maybe large dog food cans, or beer cans or something, and add support banding. I havent really thought it through! :slight_smile:

Bob McCown said:

…Maybe large dog food cans, or beer cans …:slight_smile:

Considering Dave’s rule allows you to consume the contents of cans without it counting against your total cost, allow me to recommend beer over dog food.

EDIT: That’s without !

Cool idea, Bob. I can see a lot of 3D printing possibilities with this build.

Speaking of rooftop storage tanks…when I was in New York City, in Manhattan (!), I looked out our fancy hotel room and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. This isn’t my picture, but it’s just what I remember:

The RR shed is packed and I didnt want to dig out a half dozen big buildings to get to Goodson’s, so I used some extra walls that I had of the same type to size things out. I think my original plan of 4 tanks made out of beer cans should work about right. So I spent some time in CAD working on the support rings to hold things together

I think three of these will look right. Now to figure out what I want the top platform to look like. I already have a ladder of sorts in my junk bin, and some parts I can use for piping and access hatches.

Bob McCown said:

…4 tanks made out of beer cans should work about right…

If you need some help getting those beer cans empty, let me know (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I dug out four soda cans from the recycling bin. Printed three sets of supports. I’m not sure I like the look of this.

Not really sure what you are trying to mimic. Is this what you are looking to make is a tank with bolted flanges holding the tank sections together? If so they are way to bulky in my opinion. Need to be thinner. just my .02

Im not sure what Im trying to mimic, either. Mostly going for “yes, this looks good”.

Kind of European

A little more American

More along your chosen can design

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Okay buster, we need an update. You can’t spend all your time on tech stuff you know.

I second John, you have been silent

Let’s see. I got to here a few days ago, but then other things came up and I didnt get back to it. I need to add four hatches to the top and a bunch of piping. Probably safety railing around the top, and a ladder.

I like it Bob. Your setup doesn’t have to be an exact working model but you just need to convey the theme of roof top tanks and you are doing that.

The 3d printing ability is really amazing for our little hobby.

Todd Haskins said:

Seeing what Bob and others do, and reading the conversations here about it, I’m beginning to think it’s inevitably only a matter of time before I have to get into it.

John Passaro said:

Todd Haskins said:

Seeing what Bob and others do, and reading the conversations here about it, I’m beginning to think it’s inevitably only a matter of time before I have to get into it.

Maybe, but I don’t think that 3D printing falls within the “Spirit of Mik” even if one had the raw materials before the build start date. It’s not “recycling what you got” even if the raw plastic is from recycled material

John Passaro said:

Todd Haskins said:

My resin printers showed up the other day. Need to get a uv curing lamp but I can’t wait to start making parts

Todd Brody said:

John Passaro said:

Todd Haskins said:

Maybe, but I don’t think that 3D printing falls within the “Spirit of Mik” even if one had the raw materials before the build start date. It’s not “recycling what you got” even if the raw plastic is from recycled material

Maybe, but the true “Spirit of Mik” is to simply have fun (Rule#1) and build something with items you have. If 3D printing is not in the true spirit then what about other technologies (table saws, band saws, drill press, resin casting, etc)?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif) I’m not trying to be argumentative, Todd, cause I have certainly questioned my own use of 3D printing as it pertains to this challenge and I have come to see it as simply just another tool. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)