Large Scale Central

2020 Mik's Challenge - I've got gas!

Right before the new year I ordered gas pumps, good timing!

BTW, I’m pretty sure I win Best Napkin

Yea Chris, there is just something about old time gas stations, I did one but not that old, mine is more 30-40 but got the same pumps, just something I remember as a kid, since the picture I have added an oil drum and coke itexacoce box, found old distressed decals on ebay, look forward to seeing your creation, Bill

I like this a lot

Something else about open flames and gas fumes …

Oh, it’ll be fine…

David Maynard said:

Oh, it’ll be fine…

Oh! OK.

The best napkin drawing ever!!!

I love old signs…you’re gonna have a ball with this one. Very interesting structure, lots of great angles, and all the little details with the tires and ladders and all hanging around will make for endless possibilities.

All this thing needs is a chimney to keep the guys warm. Where will find…oh, yeah, Dave sent you the chimney!

John Caughey said:

Something else about open flames and gas fumes …

I thought the same thing, but I found it’s not hard to find pictures of old gas stations with chimneys stuck up thru the roof.

The gasoline is out at the pumps, and the fire is inside, inside the fireplace or stove…and the problem is?

Looking good Chris

Dennis

This ain’t Russia, you know.

John Passaro said:

This ain’t Russia, you know.

I actually witnessed a woman stick a cigarette in her mouth at a gas station while RIGHT NEXT TO THE TANKER TRUCK filling the station’s tanks! Luckily the truck driver was close enough to grab her hand holding the lighter and “politely” asked her NOT TO LIGHT THE CIGARETTE. Amazing just how stupid some people can be.

Amazing just how stupid some people can be.

I would use the word “frightening”. In an issue of AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilot’s Association) magazine, they had an article on preflighting the aircraft, and in the article, the source of illuminating the fuel tank to check the fuel level was a lighter. In the very next issue of the magazine, they corrected the error. So the author wrote this into an article, the editor didn’t catch it, and how many other people the article passed by before it was published, and the idiocy made it into print. Frightening!

Week 1 update on the gas station progress.

Scratch built 2 doors from strip wood. Will add knobs and details after they are painted

I used some small square windows, removed the frames and used strip styrene to make double hung windows.

The pumps I will be using. The two Gilmore pumps will go on one side and the Magnolia and Polly Gas will go on the other side.

This week is building up the frame and siding the building.

I like the details. . .you may proceed

Good job on the doors and windows, Chris. Cool looking gas pumps.

I’m in the middle of doors and windows. Those doors of yours are excellent. Now I have to up my door game!

Figured I better provide proof I’m still in this fight, so here are some quick dining room table shots.

I need to drill holes and run wiring for lights, then I can put the roof panels on and prepare for paint. I have a slight twist in the long beams that make up the canopy, but I can take it out when I put the roof on.

Construction will be wrapping up this weekend, then it’s on to paint.

Hurry up and install the lights, because whatever you do, I’m doing. I’m not kidding about that. I’m clueless on lighting.

That’s looking great Chris.

Shane