Large Scale Central

2020 Convention will be in ??????

Bruce Chandler said:

Greg Elmassian said:

I’m a little confused about the NMRA mention, as I do not see them as ever being very involved or helpful. Likewise I am in Z scale and similarly ignored.

But how the NMRA affects our hobby is nil in my estimation, this is a unique blend of gardening and outdoor life and trains, and the “slider” can move anywhere between a sophisticated garden with a loop of track to a complex operations layout with little regard for plants, to whatever you want.

But getting new members means you need to attract them somehow, and look at the changing desires of new, younger people.

I got a call last night from our volunteers at the Fair, and it appears that we will not have hit our goal of increasing membership by 50%, but we will have doubled our membership. The garden show is definitely a venu where we get that mixed crowd of people that like the outdoors and garden aspects.

Greg

Well, I guess my math skills just aren’t what they used to be as that statement doesn’t make any sense to me at all. You have doubled your membership, yet failed to increase it by 50%? The other way around, I could understand, but I am struggling with this one. If membership is X…then your goal was 1.5X…but all you attained was 2X? I do NOT understand.

I suspect I just need a couple more beers? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I left our local club, because all they wanted to do was run shows…and when they got to a show, they just wanted to socialize with each other, not the guests. When I brought in a model I was especially proud of, nobody said one thing about it - neither good nor bad. Yes, I felt out of place.

Yes, that is my gripe about the NMRA group I belong to.

As for bringing in models, I get mixed responses. My gas station went over like a fart in church, but my bridge got a lot of interest.

When I was a teenager I was allowed to join an active group in the attic of one of Long Beach’s train stores in the 60s. I was a Nobody until my Navy Dad imported a Tenshodo GN S2 4-8-4. When I took that in, I got invited to coffee after our OPs!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Dennis

I guess Nashville…because I posted it on the Atlanta thread a week ago last Friday. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/28324/live-from-atlanta-it-s-the-2018-ngrc?page=2

During the week of the convention Albuquerque (absolutely a no go), Amarillo, Dallas, Phoenix and Denver were also bandied about. At the banquet Friday night Nashville and Denver were the only ones left standing and Denver very clearly said no thanks. As you would expect Nashville won the vote unanimously.

I have seen Philadelphia also listed as a possibility but there was no mention of them at the convention and no representatives on hand.

I can’t get the New Mexico Garden RR Club to do a convention in Albuquerque but maybe I will do one here in Edgewood. It would be mighty small but on the upside we could have the BBQ dinner at my house. mmm BBQ (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Kegger …

I like the way you think Sean.

David Maynard said:

My gas station went over like a fart in church…

David, that happens to me on this message board. And if I don’t move, I have to sit in my own pew.

Greg Elmassian said:

Always put yourself in the other guy’s shoes, new to the hobby anxious for information but maybe intimidated by the “clique”… have to put your money where your mouth is, if you want your club to be better, you make it better… it’s working here.

Greg

Maybe 20 years ago, I was interested in rail speeders. I contacted NARCOA for information about where/who/what/when/etc, and was greeted with, not a cold shoulder, but a very obvious “We dont want new people that dont know anything about the hobby” attitude. That ended that interest right there.

When clubs bitch that they are stagnant, or losing membership, is no wonder why when new people are greeted with outright hostility…

/me gets off soapbox

Michael Kirrene said:

David Maynard said:

My gas station went over like a fart in church…

David, that happens to me on this message board. And if I don’t move, I have to sit in my own pew.

Thanks for the clever chuckle …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

When clubs bitch that they are stagnant, or losing membership, is no wonder why when new people are greeted with outright hostility…

Bob, that is true, but the South Hills group lost a new member. I heard that he said it was because he didn’t feel included. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Say what? We all, to the very last member, shook his hand and welcomed him to the cub. Many of us inquired as to if he had a set up at home, and what it was. He had just a test track as I recall. Most of us said to him, at the end of the meeting, that we hope to see him next month, at the next meeting.

But back to what you said Bob. It gets me angry when someone belittles a new member because they didn’t know something. Hey, Mr know it all, there was a time in the hobby where you didn’t know anything yourself! Yea, it may have been 50 decades ago, before you got your learner’s permit to drive a car, but there was a time. So be considerate to the new member and try and help and maybe educate, and save the belittling sh stuff for…on second thought, can it. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

Sorry, but that is one of my raw nerves. As many times as I have been dissed by someone for trying to help them with something, I will still try and help the next person. Isn’t that what clubs and organizations are supposed to be about?

So, if everyone welcomed him, and he said he did not feel included, there is a disconnect somewhere, might be worth further investigation.

Greg

I’ve seen perfunctory greets, where the chore was done and gone as the next member muttered another milk warm hello … I’ve been there as they go back to their play…

Ya might want to invite him to join a conversation, or explain how your group works and gets along…

Don’t wait for the other guy, lead by example.

Yep, I have seen this in our club, and we made a conscious effort last meeting to not “clique”…

Good example.

Greg

I don’t know what any of this has to do with the 2020 convention, but I think you could seriously improve interest in any model railroad club by trading wives, like those two Yankee pitchers did a few years ago. I think there was a television show about this sort of thing, too; you know, bring a little spice into the hobby.

Speaking of conventions, I don’t know about you other left coasters here, but I’m looking forward to next year’s convention in Portland.

Yep, and giving serious thought to the NG convention the week before.

Going to even take the Coast Starlight train up the coast from here.

Greg

I am planning on going to both. Taking the Coast Starlight is a great idea! I may do the same …

That’s funny I was looking up different “routes” from my home in AZ to the convention in Portland, including the Coast Starlight and riding from AZ to LA, or driving to My moms, ( Fresno) then trains up from there. Prices were quite reasonable unless you got a roomette then they jumped a bit, but all in all I may ride to Portland instead of driving. We will have to keep in touch on this and meet up somewhere , if we go on the same day

That could be great fun… and very “railroady”…

Speaking of Portland, looking at driving and making it a long roady trip.

If so my wife and I would like to do some train rides on the way. Any suggestions?

Hi Dennis,

How far off the beaten path will you venture?

I think a day for the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR in S Co/N NM is worth the detour, then the next day a short jog west for the Durango and Silverton RR in SW Co.

Making reservations well in advance…

Since Portland has some options, I plan on flying and staying with family there. My brother who tried to entice me up there a year early, rattled off a bunch of train related things to do.

The Amtrak Coast Starlight may just be the way to go! 19 hours and a little over 100 bucks each (value) to get there from the Bay Area. Can’t beat that with a stick.