Large Scale Central

2014 AMERICAN INVASION OF OTTAWA

We’ve made it to the border, or almost. Spent last night in Two Harbors, Mn. Plan is to sneak across at the border crossing northeast of Duluth and advance along the Lake Superior shoreline. No evidence of detection, yet.

Two Harbors sit a few miles northeast of Duluth and has 6 ore docks, a lighthouse, plus pier light and a bike trail between them. Nice display of a DM&IR Mallet and some older equipment, including a prototype of the Aristo Craft single bay wooden beam hopper. The big decision today is to decide to cross the border or ride a bike trail along the north shore of Lake Superior.

We’ll continue to report progress as we advance. Heard rumors they have an idea we are coming in Belleville and Nepean, but maybe the local border guards haven’t got the word.

Full stealth mode operations and camoflauge is the uniform of the day. Minnesota is a great place to practice our language adaption, hey!

Jon, Jan has looked up the campground, but has not made reservations.

Ric Golding said:

We’ll continue to report progress as we advance. Heard rumors they have an idea we are coming in Belleville and Nepean, but maybe the local border guards haven’t got the word.

I can let them know you’re coming, if you’d like…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

Ric Golding said:

Ken, Just call customs, and tell them you know those people… :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:

Ken Brunt said:

Ric Golding said:

“You dont have to search their car, they dont have any secret compartments or anything.”

We might see them by Christmastime.

Rick;

You can park the trailer in my lane way…you will then be sharing the lane way with Ed Mann’s Camper Truck…you can plug in…I won’t charge…(Much)…!!

…let me know…

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD said:

…let me know…

They have reservations at a nearby campground, not sure which one, but it’s not their prior campground at the Provincial Park.

Ken Brunt said:

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD said:

…let me know…

They have reservations at a nearby campground, not sure which one, but it’s not their prior campground at the Provincial Park.

Could be Hither Hills where we stayed a couple of times. An OK place about 15 minutes from Fred’s. I think that’s where Ric and Jan got bit by the camping trailer bug.

Ken, thanks for helping us get across the border. When or where you cross, or even plan to cross, all enforcement energy is away from where we cross. Entered Canada at Gran Marais, just southwest of Thunder Bay. Border Agent said everyone was away preparing for some guycrossing at Ogdensburg. Sitting in a KOA at Wawa, Ontario along Hyw 17. Today, Sunday is a rest day. On the road again headed towards Barry and Bonnie’s starting tomorrow. Doug was right, there are a lot of “rocks, trees and water”. :wink: Every turn is like a new photo on a calendar.

Jon, that could be. Actually, what we noticed about your trailer/camper was that it had more room than our boat and squarer compartments to store stuff. But just like the trailer we have now, it didn’t look like it sailed worth a durn. But, put us with a tail wind or a following seas and she gets down the road.

Fred, we have reservations down by Doug’s. Jan just found the info, called “Sleeping Cedar’s Family Camping”. I’m afraid this “boat” we are dragging around now would take up too much room in your driveway.

Think we should make Barry and Bonnie’s on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, couple of bits of “rocks, trees and water” to see before we get there.

Great temp, 91 in Carlyle today.

Life is good!

Andy Clarke said:

Andy, safe travels. You can mention you know Fred and Doug, but best to keep quiet about knowing Ken. :wink:

Ric Golding said:

Ken, thanks for helping us get across the border. When or where you cross, or even plan to cross, all enforcement energy is away from where we cross. Entered Canada at Gran Marais, just southwest of Thunder Bay. Border Agent said everyone was away preparing for some guy crossing at Ogdensburg.

Good, cause I’ll be crossing at Watertown, since I’ll be heading to Barry’s first.

Hope they get the ne’erdowell that’s crossing at Ogdensurg…:wink:

Ahh! Tricky, hope it works. We’ll gather up money at Barry’s for your “bond” if needed. You coming Thursday or Wednesday? Maybe you don’t want to publish that. :wink: TMI

We’ll keep’em guessin…:wink:

We be leaving Wednesday morning, and hope to be at the Holiday Inn Thursday afternoon/evening… Have another shot on Monday afternnon, rest Tuesday, and hit the road, Wednesdaya morning…

Hope all have a safe trip…

I’ll be down in the Long Sault arena running Thomas during the Invasion weekend. Hope you all have a great time.

We’ll be waiting…

Ric and Jan, you’ve driven Hwy 17, the Trans-Canada, across the top of Lake Superior. That’s got to be some of the prettiest country I’ve ever seen. That stretch of scenery alone should make your whole trip worthwhile! I hope you enjoyed the views as much as I did way back when! I haven’t seen it myself since 1972. Back then some stretches were still gravel road. I hope modernization hasn’t wrecked everything…

I remember Wawa, got stuck there in an October blizzard, not the best of memories. Highway and everything else shut down tight. In life you have to take the bad with the good… The fall colors had been spectacular, and when I got closer to Southern Ontario the trees were amazing all over again.

I’m heading for Barry and Bonnie’s on Wed afternoon. Thursday we’ll operate and then, probably on Friday Morning, head for Ottawa.

The invaders can be sure we’ll give 'em a warm reception…

Every time someone mentions Lake Superior I think of the canoeist Bill Mason and his Waterwalker video. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterwalker

I was so envious of him after watching this video. I have lived in Ontario for 68 years and have yet to make the north shore of Superior. I guess I’ll have to start a bucket list and plan a trip there on my new motorcycle.

That new bike Paul; Would it by chance be a Norton :slight_smile:

Paul’s motorized bicycle is not a Norton…I can assure you of that !!

Paul, you won’t regret it. It’d be fabulous on a motorbike.