Large Scale Central

1:29 3D peoples- Phase B

Trying some new 3d freeware tools and this time I sent it off to Shapeways instead of trying to print on a hobby machine or an older tech thing. Much better.

http://martinsant.net/?p=2124

Once you get more drawings done, have you consider splitting body parts (legs, arms,etc) into different prints so that custom “kit” made figures could be built. Nice to see 1/29 figures. How much are the prints? I’d be interested in some figures.

Shapeways lets you monetize them, I have not explored that. I will look into it.

I’m still getting the hang of the s/w tool chain, but it seems quite potent.

This was my first test on a high res device.

Dismemberment. Hmm. Interesting idea there.

So Martin how do I go about buying some of these figures from you please?

Well, I looked into this briefly this morning and the thing about selling these, at least directly as 3D models from Shapeways, is the cost.

Shapeways allows you to set up ‘shops’ and sell your parts but of course they want a cut, then there is the cost of production and shipping and all that.

I guess the up side is I can make them exactly 1:29 scale (or any scale actually) and I could offer characters in a variety of poses (and/or dismembered) but at some point the price starts to get out of hand.

Originally I was thinking of using these as resin masters, that would bring the cost down but I have only cast things like windows and doors, never done people and two part molds and stuff.

So I’m not sure. What do you think the pain level is for these? At what point do they become too expensive?

They are only 2.5 inches tall after all.

“He who dares wins”

I think the resin casting would be the way to go. A good long life silicone master will allow a lot of pours. Costs a bit for the initial outlay… Probable pay for the initial investment then some…
Plenty of advice out there (and on here).

Go for it!!

Are you familiar with Richard Kapuaala at scalehumans.com? He would be a very helpful individual for what you are thinking about doing.

Yes, I know Richard, or know of him. He has done a couple of video tutorials that really helped me when I was using DAZ studio. Richard is a waaay better 3d sculptor than I am and does some really unique work. Sculptris is a tough program to master and yet he makes it look easy.

VERY nice, Martin! I’ve been following your progress eagerly. I’ve got a Makrbot myself, but only recently got all the mechanical parts assembled. I’m fearful of the electonics, so will probably work on it this winter.

I’m thinking that a reallly interesting project would be people seated in coach seats – all in one casting!

Dick, that could work for those who bash or build passenger cars. I would be up for a set of those.

Funny you would mention that. Was messing with this one today:

http://martinsant.net/?p=2213

I guess she is supposed to be a conductor sort of person for passengers or something.

Not sure.

They seem to take on a life of their own on after you tweak them for hours. ha.

Anyhow, I’m certainly open to suggestions, I’m trying to learn blender and how to get everything to export into a file that 3D printers are happy with.

Craig Townsend said:
Once you get more drawings done, have you consider splitting body parts (legs, arms,etc) into different prints so that custom “kit” made figures could be built. Nice to see 1/29 figures. How much are the prints? I’d be interested in some figures.

There’s a free program on the web to download call “netfabb” which will not only allow slicing of any .stl file, but will also fix problems with the file as well. Worth looking into.

Thanks, yes, I use netfabb as the final step in the 3D tool chain. I’ve just been off in electronics and software land for a while- I’ll probably give the figures another go when I finish up my latest control experiments.

Martin, I would like some seated figures in 1/32 scale. IF you can have them do that, let me know.

Jerry, I don’t know when I’ll get back to new 3D people, but if you see one on my site you like, it’s pretty easy to take one I already have and size it down in netfabb and re-upload. Do any of these suit your needs?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/blueridgeengineering?s=0

The only problem is that Shapeways is a tad on the pricey side and anything smaller than 1/29 is going to have some artifacts in the cheaper print mediums. You can sort of see how they come out in this post, the one on the right is the ‘expensive’ frosted detail print in 1/29.

http://martinsant.net/?p=2398

Thanks Martin, I like the seated figures, but I think the price would be too much. I’ll stick with the USA figures I found to work good in my MTH coaches and are not painted too bad. Better than the ones you get off ebay that are painted, all have black hair.

I got a package of seated people from TrainLi at York last year, and they were reasonably priced too.