Large Scale Central

1:20.3 Mining and Logging

Hi all, An acquaintance in Germany asked me for some suggestions for a layout. He has a nice piece of real estate i.e 30m wide by 40m deep. Here’s what I would build in that space.

The whole shebang

The location where they mill wood and smelt silver

The junction to the silver mine

Tracks at the mine

Logging section All spread out to create better visuals, with plenty of room to step up to the locations where switching needs to happen and a continous loop with three locations for meets and/or passes for those times when the operator(s) are too tired to figure out the switching puzzles at the mine or on the logging line.

I like it!

I looked at this and could not figure out where my no longer adept feet would go.

Looks like fun though.
Are there hills, or is it completely flat and hills to be built?

I really like the thought of embedded switching puzzles with run through capability.

I hope the mine quickly produces either silver or gold to pay for all the track!

Can you get the friend to join here and post progress pics?

Not bad Hans… You amazed me on this one… lol
Ya… hope the mine has lot of silver and gold to pay for the tracks…

@ Joe, thank you!

@ Don,

that total space is 98ft wide and 131.2ft deep, lots of room for feet. The guy is re-building a 1:29 layout - that does tell you something? - and they moved the dirt for that one with a BobCat. That should be the smallest of the problems, building 1:20.3 structures along with the trestles and bridges is another story. :wink: :slight_smile:

@ Noel

Lots of silver and gold in them there mountains

That is a nice track plan Hans but I have one thought.

When I built mine I never considered train storage until I had to put thing away after running. Has he considered a train barn?