Large Scale Central

More Water

Today was the day, test ran the mountain stream with the waterfalls. This to find out where the overflows and the capillary leaks happen.

\

Checking before adding more rock and the planting soil seems reasonable. Result … only four spots that needed a bit of additional material. Next test tomorrow when things have set up.

As a good citizen I need to report a rockslide (boulder crash?) in the lower left portion of photo #2 to the rail authorities. Is there a toll free number I can call?

HJ, awesome work, by the way.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Keeping a close eye on your progress and methods here as I plan to put in a pond and waterfall sometime soon.

Good job!

HJ,
You are making great progress. Must be the endurance conditioning!
My construction pace has slowed as the temps have risen.
Ralph

You know for someone who yaps a lot about toy like geometry and things not being prototypical, you sure don’t mind your own words when building your scenery! Rock stratifications are either horizontal or vertical, seldom to never are BOTH. Maybe when the rebar eventually fails and the entire slope comes crashing down in 5-10 years, it will land in a more natural arrangment, then all you will have to do is relay the track.

That’s a rock slide waiting to happen

Happy railroading

Mark Dash said:
You know for someone who yaps a lot about toy like geometry and things not being prototypical, you sure don't mind your own words when building your scenery! Rock stratifications are either horizontal or vertical, seldom to never are BOTH. Maybe when the rebar eventually fails and the entire slope comes crashing down in 5-10 years, it will land in a more natural arrangment, then all you will have to do is relay the track.

That’s a rock slide waiting to happen

Happy railroading

Are you having another bad day, Mark? :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, I know quite a bit about rock formations. In the smaller scales I really pay attention to that, but in IIm it would be a matter of casting every single one in concrete. While I’m a sucker for punishment - I’m replying to your posts, aren’t I :lol: :stuck_out_tongue: - there’s a line between that and making progress. Even you won’t notice, if kept at a far enough distance. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:
OTOH I promise, as soon as that rock slide you’re prognosticating happens I’ll rebuild the complete rock work with individually, handcast concrete rocks (I’ll take my myriad pictures of the proto as guidance). There are some absolutely fantastic rock formations between Muot and Preda (the section “in question”), where many say “Hmmmm how did that happen”, sort of like a pile of rocks with odd looking strata. :smiley:

Ohhhh BTW that rebar, strictly a temp measure until such time as I get the proper supporting wall in place.

Just to yank a few chains it was time to put a “sort of” mountain in place of the filter unit cover. Yeeeeeeees it had to be named: “Kreuzberg” means “Cross Mountain” - logical, just look at the shape of the skeleton. But the locals call it “Piz Moses” since the water flows in great streams from the rock.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/WaterfallMountain11_s.jpg)

The three boulders on top doing the balancing act? Just extra weight 'til the glue sets up.

Very nice work. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to put water OVER the tracks. My streams always seem to leak at some point. :wink:

Hey Paul, guess what the proto does. There’s a proper stream exiting the Albula tunnel in both directions. Can’t remember how many litres/sec, but substantial.
As they say, prototype for everything.

Hans,
Have you been getting much water loss or evaporation ? I just redid my pond and I am losing water , but it’s been about 100 also everyday. I know the waterfall mists out some plus birds in the river.

On a 100 degree day I lost half of the water that was in a pond/stream/waterfall very similar to HJ’s. I would have to refill it at least daily.

Thanks Steve,
I get paranoid and very annoyed with the pond, And water loss. I had installed a toilet float valve in my filter last yr, which helped alot with water loss.

I was thinking about doing the same, but then we moved, and I never got back to the water feature idea. Does it work well?

Yes, it works well. If the debri is kept away from it so it doesn’t jam !
I just need a filter on the water line to dechlorinate the water so the the biological filter is not contaminated. I made my own filter by sinking a 50 Gal plastic trashcan 3 ft deep and cut a skimmer opening in it.

I have a water noise maker on the deck that pours water from one half barrel into another. On a 20 kt windy day, I can loose a whole half barrel of water inside of two hours. The two dogs I have use it as their main water source, and the birds bathe in it, sloshing water all over the place.

But, its worth it, I think…

Yes, water evaporates but not as much as Steve mentioned. As long as water is cheaper than Gas I won’t worry; no we don’t use Evian or Perrier to fill up. :lol: :lol:

I’ve done several waterfalls in the past, but never left them running because of evaporation. I used to run them all the time and the level would drop around 6 inches in a week. I would just stick the hose in and fill them back up. I decided to turn them off when we went into a period of draught, and the well level dropped way down. We have had a lot of rain this year, so I have to check and see how the level is doing now.

I really like the way the water goes over the tracks, and already have a plan to switch a dry river bed area into a mountain with a similar waterfall.

I have same problem with my creek, between the birds and evaperation. I have to fill my pond up everyday. It is not a big pond to start with. We have a well so it does not cost me anything for water. Plus we have a great water table.

Have any updates to show Hans ?

Massive effort, HJ! Are the rocks from your block, or did you get them elsewhere?

Your structure is reminiscent of a rock face in Tasmania on a mountain called Ben Lomond. Over many years, weathering has eroded the sheer cliff, depositing the residue much as you’ve depicted it.

Like many other posters, water features aren’t an option for me. We have tough restrictions on watering all year long in Perth, and that’s with a desalination plant built and a second on the way.