Large Scale Central

More Water

http://www.pondliner.com/category/black_waterfall_foam

Found a product for sealing the rocks in place from a pond-sort-of online store-kind of thing.
If this is anything like the expandable foams, it is pretty durable stuff, and can just about hold the rocks in place once cured.
I have worked with low expansion foam in construction, and once you get it where you want it, it stays put.

That black foam is good stuff. Just be careful, it take forever to get off your hands, and never comes off your clothes.

HJ;

Older thread i obviously missed, do you have a more recent pic of your ‘mountain’ watefall ?

I was going to suggest backfilling the lower rock areas outside the water course with alpine mix and plant some basic thyme . . . . till i saw the date of this thread !

I was outside this past week doing rehab on one of the cribwalls, and strengthening with bigger driven pilings and also finally dropped-in the bordering black rock which you know is the good stuff by how loudly the back protests due to its weight (definitely not that ‘tofu’ rock) !

doug c

DRAT !! I just discovered that all the gold fish survived the winter…now I have to get the water system working…have to clean out the water barrels and get them hooked up to catch the rain water…dirty job…I also have to service the air pump…another dirty job…If anyone wants to know; DON"T bother with fish or water features; they are more bother than they are worth…ask me how I know after 25 years or more of this stupidity…

I just don’t deal withthe fish. I have a water fall and toss some bleach tablits in it every now and then and it stays nice and clean. Only have to clean it out once in springtime and I’m set for the season.

Well, you know a few of those bleach tablets can solve the fish survival problem for you.

This is going to sound weird, but I have 2 little plastic ponds – about 75 gallons each. One I got for my birthday many years ago, which my ex-wife finally let me have back – and one my current girlfriend got me for my birthday this year. I want to connect them, one higher than the other via a stream or even a waterfall… but I don’t know exactly HOW – OK, I gather I’ll need to cut a shallow notch in edge of the higher pond and put the pump with a hose in the lower one… but can anybody recommend an inexpensive way to make the connection between the two ponds watertight that won’t LOOK like it’s cheap or kill the fish? I’m guessing a spillway 6"-8" wide would be about right for the pump I have here.

It will be less water this summer: Stage 3 (once a week on specific days) watering restrictions went into effect today!

Fred Mills said:
DRAT !! I just discovered that all the gold fish survived the winter....now I have to get the water system working.....have to clean out the water barrels and get them hooked up to catch the rain water......dirty job......I also have to service the air pump....another dirty job.....If anyone wants to know; DON"T bother with fish or water features; they are more bother than they are worth......ask me how I know after 25 years or more of this stupidity....
Fred, my father (also named Fred) has messed with his "pond" since day one in 1995.

His is a decent sized waterfall with fish, sans trains (HO/Tinplate guy) outside his family room windows.

There is a pump/filtration system in the basement.

The problem comes if the system gums up or if the power goes down (constant where he lives, so now the thing is on a backup system) then he had the water backflow out of the top pond…now there are check valves…that gum up with algee…so they do not always prevent this.

Fish, he loves his fish…but then they started to be killed…assumed racoons (likely) but then one day he looks and finds a blue herron standing in his pond (the biggest part is maybe 4x4 feet). He did have a pair of ducks that visited for a couple days, but nothing like this.

So now the thing is completely under mesh…fish live, but it looks like…

This year, he has a leak somewhere, the thing was made of rock and concrete, with rock and fiberglass liner… The guy that built it (former Corvette body guy) has gone to the great garden pond in the sky, so he has to find someone new to help figure it out.

Pumps…they live about 3 or so years, somehow he found better ones, forget the details but I think he quit buying them from pond guys and found some industrial ones, cannot remember.

In the end, it is a part time job to keep up, a PITA…

…and he probably could have bought a NICE 7.5" gauge live steamer for his total investment in this pit.

Now, now … now, now … ponds, waterfalls, streams etc. - without fish - make a garden railway come to life. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

BTW adding up the cost … in that case most of us would need to quit the hobby!