Large Scale Central

TP56 Shunter Kitbash

Something I’ve been working on but haven’t posted here. On LSC back in October there was a post about 3d printing software that ended with a discussion about combining different construction methods with 3d printing. Martin Sant mentioned the TP56 which I though was an ideal loco to experiment with.

The hood and cab where printed with an FDM printer but could be done with sheet material and a laser or CNC (my next experiment). Most of the details are printed in resin and pressed into holes and slots. I believe many modern locos can be made with this method.

I chose to cut down an SD40-2 frame as is done by the prototype builder and used a USAT SD40-2 truck. This proved to be a pain in the azz and I should have just printed the frame. (I will if I make another).

There have only been a few of these built and they are all a bit different. I chose to incorporate the features I like best and because the power is provided by a Caterpillar C9 I went with the CAT theme.

For those of you not familiar with this cool little loco http://www.tractivepowercorp.com/

Latest progress:

Cut and tinted glass and added gaskets, Ditch lights, Sunshades, Wire grabs, decals and Safety stripes
I decided to add a honeycomb pattern to the first door to carry the CAT theme.
redesigned coupler mount with integrated
added speaker opening to the fuel tank.
Coleman Mach 8 AC unit - Passable but I need to learn to merge curve surfaces.

todo list
Brake chain
more decals
Handrails and stanchions
Lift bars
Install Railpro

I’ve never been too interested in the small switchers, but have gotten the bug to re-due some LGB switchers, the 2063 is one of them I plan to do in the near future. I will say here that your engine turned out very nice and all the work that you put into it shows. I like challenging myself and I see you do the same, once again great job.

trainman

That’s a nifty little locomotive, I saw your post over on FB last night. You wouldnt be interested in sharing the STLs for it, would you?

Beautiful work! I love the color.

WOW!!! That looks awesome! And what a cool little loco, too!

Bob McCown said:

That’s a nifty little locomotive, I saw your post over on FB last night. You wouldnt be interested in sharing the STLs for it, would you?

Pondering this. In the past I have shared many designs on Thingiverse but lately I’ve found someone has been printing my designs in questionable quality and selling for $$$ so I’ve been in a less sharing mood. My intention has always been that folks print for themselves or friends for a reasonable cost. I’ll let ya know when I figure it out.

-Dan

Dan,

I ain’t 3d printing anything but I sure enjoyed the website! It’s a neat loco that really caught my eye. I’m (assuming) you fixed the pivot on the USA motor block and would like to see the bottom of the unit and if not that’s cool. Nice work as always and thanks for the education!

Rooster said:

Dan,

I ain’t 3d printing anything but I sure enjoyed the website! It’s a neat loco that really caught my eye. I’m (assuming) you fixed the pivot on the USA motor block and would like to see the bottom of the unit and if not that’s cool. Nice work as always and thanks for the education!

Thanks Rooster, One of the reasons I feel my choice of using a cut down and spliced USAT SD40-2 frame a poor one is the stock USAT 3 axle truck mount could not be used as it is made to fit in a recess that was no longer there! So, I designed a custom one. The truck is held firmly in line with no swivel but there is still a bit of up/down spring and I left the end axle “swinging in the breeze”. If it proves to be an issue in operation, I will fix it and possibly grind the flanges from the middle axle.

Dan,

I understand …played around with the SD motor block with a PA a few years ago.

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22514/cvrr-ocs?page=8