Large Scale Central

Matt Kirichok build 2017

The timing is good for this year’s build challenge.

Due to an animal burrowing under a section of my layout, I had a chance to re-do part of the layout and added a few more spurs for some industries and to make the layout a bit more ‘operational’ than a round-a-round layout (not that there is anything wrong with that…I do like hearing and seeing a train out there when I’m working or relaxing on the patio with a cool beverage ).

So, for this year, I will build what I had planned for on one of the spurs…a winery (since I also dabble in making my own wine from time to time).

Here is the official engineering (paper towel) drawing:

Not very good with names, so calling it the ‘old mill’ sounded nice. Maybe ‘taylor’ would be better? It would at least give me a purpose to use the ‘Taylor’ labeled stone (ha, ha).

Looking forward to getting started. I’ve already used up 1/3 of my funding allocations. I hope no major engineering issues crop up.

Taylor Valley Winery, Old Mill Farms, I like just Old Mill Winery as well, Taylor’s Mill Winery , The Old Taylor Mill Vineyard.

Just a few suggestions to work from.

BTW no Picture.

Insight; The name brick in the construction was usually the builder’s name or the brick maker’s advert and had little to do with the building after construction. Earn points and name it after your SO!

Yes there are exceptions.

John

…hmm… John, did you see the pic? anybody else not seeing it?

I’ll have to take a tutorial again on how to post pics. Off to the help forum/pages to see where I went wrong (if I did since I see the pic :-)).

Also not seeing any pics

oh, boy. What have I done?! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

I posted the photo on google photos. I opened the image and viewed it, copied the image location and pasted it in the Insert/edit image dialog box (just like what was explained in: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty?page=1

Maybe Google has done something that doesn’t let me share the image since last year.

BTW: I see the image when I’m in the edit view AND also when I use the preview view. Let me try ‘sharing’ the photo album within Google Photos to see if that allows others to view the pic.

…any luck for others? I’m still seeing it.

nope I see nuthing! Just your Drawing.

Post the link and we’ll help. We don’t need the tutorial…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I always have to click Enter after adding, to move the cursor below, but when I don’t, I don’t get to see it either.

John

Matt Kirichok said:

The timing is good for this year’s build challenge.

Due to an animal burrowing under a section of my layout, I had a chance to re-do part of the layout and added a few more spurs for some industries and to make the layout a bit more ‘operational’ than a round-a-round layout (not that there is anything wrong with that…I do like hearing and seeing a train out there when I’m working or relaxing on the patio with a cool beverage (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)).

So, for this year, I will build what I had planned for on one of the spurs…a winery (since I also dabble in making my own wine from time to time).

Here is the official engineering (paper towel) drawing:

Not very good with names, so calling it the ‘old mill’ sounded nice. Maybe ‘taylor’ would be better? It would at least give me a purpose to use the ‘Taylor’ labeled stone (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)(ha, ha).

Looking forward to getting started. I’ve already used up 1/3 of my funding allocations. I hope no major engineering issues crop up.

That there is a right expensive Napkin at $10.00(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Seeing Napkin Sketch now

Hmmm I saw the sketch from the beginning, but I see nothing that meshes with my post about the name brick/stone …

Mebbe I misunderstood?

John

Edit;

PS: I wouldn’t be calling the SO old… … Irresistible Whines and Cheeses(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Either I fixed it or it took some time to show up. It seems to work now. The real test will be the next image post. Thanks for the feedback.

That will be a good looking winery Matt. I’m kinda fond of the “Old Mill Winery” name. We have a neighborhood in the town I was born in that is called the “Old Mill Village”. It was named that because at one time we had two textile mills in town and the older one was called … you guessed it… the “Old Mill” by the locals and the neighborhood was built by the mill for its workers back in the 20’s. I look forward to seeing the Old Mill Winery come to life.

Thanks Dan. I’m keeping the name. Sometime simple is the best. Now I’m trying to work on a logo to put on the barrels and the building. Got to keep myself busy with other stuff for this since the cutting can’t start yet. somehow I let my son talk me into helping him (well, I’m trying to get him to do it) with installing street lights that I scratched built a year ago, onto his n-scale layout. Need to solder up extension wires for all 36 of these lights. Somehow I have got to get this project off my workbench before the 13th so I have room on the workbench for this challenge.

N-scale? I don’t have the eyes nor the steady hands needed to work that small but I do like to see the detail that folks put into their small layouts. I can relate with the workbench. I have got to get it cleared and also get my woodworking area in my garage cleaned up and de-cluttered before the 13th. Good luck with the street lights.

A few years ago the one club I belong to asked me to build, scratch-build, an N scale trestle and bridge.

And I discovered that my eyes and hands are barely up to the challenge of working in N scale these days. I was reminded, quite emphatically, why I model in large scale now.

I’m in the same boat. It was a bear to get the micro leds soldered to the magnetic wire. I had to use my mag/light and get real close.

I did three different kinds (sorry the photo is a bit blurry - not your eyes). This photo shows two kinds

My son did the signs. Just scaled down images he got off of the internet and glued to toothpicks. The cones are play-do dried up glued to black paper.

The image is not showing Matt.

Ugh! Ok, seems that Google changed something with their photos. I created an album and shared it. That’s what I did before. Let’s see if this fixed the issue…

That’s them darn programmers. If it aint broke, change it anyway, so its less functional and more cumbersome.

Well, looks like the rest of you jumped on this build challenge. I finally made my first cut today, and first mistake …lol .

The glue for the frame for my platform is drying. Will have to cut out the rest of the pieces so the gluing can be done after work during the week. Working out a design for the logo and figuring out some of the details.

This is fun…looks like other are enjoying this also.