Large Scale Central

Building the Water Features

I planned on building a pond as part of my garden railroad. However, when four of my granddaughters couldn’t agree on which one of them it should be named for, they came up with a solution. There would be four ponds instead of one. That way, they each could have their own.

The only catch was … they had to help me build them. Here is a video that shows how we did it. They wanted me to set it to music, so I picked the theme song from HIMYM – “Hey Beautiful.”

Four beautiful ponds for four beautiful girls.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_3UH00TR9m0[/youtube]

Bob,

another great video. great looking ponds. your workforce should be very proud of there work.

Al P.

Bob Well done. How did you get the girls to work so hard?

Ponds look great!
What is the depth on them? some looked pretty deep, is that due to the winter climate in your area or did you just go that deep because you could?

Wow, just Wow!

How long from start to finish?

Bob,

Beautiful, just beautiful (and the ponds look great too!). You must be a VERY proud grandpa!

:wink:

wow Bob that is an awesome water feature, hope to see it someday
Dennis

Thanks all for the compliments. The ponds were fun to build and provide a lot of happy memories of summers with the girls. The actual work shown in the video spans a couple of summers. I had almost completed the largest pond prior to the girls arriving. Only three of the four girls were here the first summer so we completed the big pond, one of the streams and two of the smaller ponds. The following summer, when all four were here, we completed the fourth pond and the second stream.

The big pond is about five feet deep. The small pond above the waterfall is only about a foot deep. The two ponds at the heads of the streams are about 2 to 3 feet deep. total system capacity is about 5000 gallons. We used fifteen tons of Arkansas river rock and boulders during construction. The dirt we dug out was used to build the Red Rock Canyon area of the layout. There are two pumps, each located in a skimmer in the big pond. One is 5700GPH; the other is 3300GPH.

I shut off the 3300GPH pump and the flow to the two ponds at the heads of the streams during the winter and move all of the fish to the big pond. I keep the 5700GPH pump and waterfall running all winter.

If I ever get this layout finished, I plan on having a big open house and gold-spike celebration and everyone is invited to attend. Of course, anyone is welcome to stop by before that to check on progress and see the ponds.

Bob

That was great! I’m jealous of the water feature(sigh… someday)

Finished layout? Never happens! Just ask Marty Cozad.