Large Scale Central

Getting rid of weeds or most any growth

I have been having great success using “Liquid Bleach” as a replacement for "RoundUp, since RoundUp has been banned for residential use in Ontario.

The good thing about using liquid bleach, is that it is far less expensive; you use it undeluted; and it works much faster than RoundUp.

I just pour it into a rinsed out spray bottle and spray it on anything I want to get rid of.
Spray when the vegitation is dry. You might need several applications if the plant life is not dry enough, such as soon after a rain. Be carefull where you spray; it seems to kill just about anything it gets sprayed on.

Please be careful pouring the stuff, so that you don’t get it on your hands or clothes.
It will discolour any clothes, and might irratate your skin. Also protect your eyes.

Liquid bleach is commonly used as a cleaning agent and disinfectant, so most people have it in their home, and are used to it’s characteristics.

Interesting. I may try this. I just ran out of Roundup Concentrate. And yes, it is very pricey.

Neat thing about liquid bleach, is that it is actually a very diluted Clorene liquid. When clorene is put in water to kill bacteria, it soon avaporates out of the water, if left alone. I think that the liquid bleach does the same on/in the ground. So it, like RoundUp does not leave any residue to make the ground toxic. In any case, the liquid bleach is very diluted and is not likely to cause any long term problems… If anyone knows better; please post the information here.

You may want to try Weed and Grass Killer product by Spectracide. It kills in 24 hours and can be purchased at most retail stores that carries grass and weed sprays. Oh, by the way, it is much better than Roundup!
Ron

Thank you for the suggestion, Ron, but its use is not allowed in Ontario, any longer. It is almost as expensive as RoundUp…while the liquid bleach is dirt cheap, and available all over.

Roundup does it’s job and quickly degrades. Somebody got caught up in a political fray when they banned it.

I mentioned it to a British friend, and got a long tirade about soybeans.

To set the record straight.

I have nothing against RoundUp, or any of the other vegitation killers available in many locations. If you like using them, do so by all means. They work well.

My only problem, is that they have been recently banned for residencial use in Ontario. So; I needed something to replace them.

I was VERY happy to find a readily available solution, which just happends to be available at a fraction of their cost.

What would you choose…I chose the bleach at around $3 a gallon. Why pay more, for something that seems to do the job well ?

Fred,

Have you tried diluting the bleach, say 1:4?

Why bother diluting it at all…it’s so inexpensive and works well the way it is.

One reason… When I use Roundup, I usually mix up 4-5 gallons at a time from concentrate. If bleach in a 1-4 dilution would work that would save lugging a lot of heavy bottles home from the store :smiley: Another is that and 1 bottle is a lot cheaper than 4.

So bleach isn’t just for underware anymore?

Fred do you now why they stopped selling Roundup?
I agree with you on Bleach working well. I still use Roundup. My cost is 26 dollars for 36 onces. less then a dollar a once and 1.5 onces to a gallon makes it less then Bleach.

How ever if you can’t get Roundup then Bleach is good.
Thanks for the tip Fred.

The conservationists got to the Government of Ontario, and convinced them that RoundUp and such products were not good stuff for residential use. They still let us drive automobiles and fly jet aeroplanes though…

The Canadian’s have jets?

…so I’ve be led to believe…

Damn!
:wink:

I guess knowing that they/we may have jet propelled aeroplanes, throws some sort of damper on some sort of plan you had in mind ?

Wow, there must be some folks that want ya’ll to go back to the horse and buggy days. It is pathetic at what these enviromentalist will deny in the name of junk science!

We don’t get many weeds on the desert. The ones we get I pull. I have a two-year-old container of Round-Up I haven’t opened. Maybe I’ll see if the bleach will discourage jack rabbits. They just aren’t to scale!

Fred Mills said:
I guess knowing that they/we may have jet propelled aeroplanes, throws some sort of damper on some sort of plan you had in mind ?
Naaahh... But it sounded good! ;)