Large Scale Central

Windows 10 and computer "hygiene"

Computer stuff that I don’t know what’s happening stresses me to the max almost instantly if not instantly.

And there’s a lot I don’t know and won’t stick in my mind.

And with all the neurological and endocrine stuff going on now never will.

Topic name initially registered in my mind as Windows 10 and commuter hygiene.

Gregory Hile said:

David Maynard said:

So, how do I keep this clean machine from getting all crudded up and slowing down.

Simple. Don’t use it!

However, I use CCleaner and run it on a regular basis, as does the other Greg. I also try to be very careful in what I download or software I use and I haven’t had any serious problems over the years.

Yea, I never had a issue with my windows 3.1 computer, because it never went online. Its the crud picked up online that causes issues. On my last computer, Firefox had slowed down so much that I had to use Chrome for one of the websites that I visit regularly. And I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, but it didn’t help. Also the OS had bloated itself up to nearly fill the 80 gig C drive. I had all my data files on a 1 Tb E drive. Since this computer came with a 1 TB drive, I will be using the 1 Tb drive from my last computer to back up my data.

I use to use CC Cleaner, for several years it worked as advertised, but a couple of years ago it started to crash my machine so much I had to uninstall it! I miss it

all helpful information removed, per Alan and John I don’t own the thread, see my last post.

Let’s clear up terminology …

By crashed I meant it slowed way down and became aggravating. After I uninstalled it, the machine was back to it’s average ways.

I used it on your recommendation on an older pc and installed it on this laptop about 4 yeas ago. After an update not all was good in mudville.

I liked the way it worked up until it didn’t.

My memory has been stuck in childhood memories of late, sorry I can’t remember the details.

John, not because of ego, but looking at a problem, there must have been a coincidental situation.

CCLeaner is not the only one out there, some of the free stuff from iobit is good too… All I use CCleaner for is uninstalling software, file cleanup and registry cleanup. It is actually pretty conservative in it’s actions.

I would continue to look for some other issues.

Regards, Greg

OK, so I gotta chime in here. So I don’t think I’ve used CCleaner in over 10 years but I do know that last year the product was compromised and millions of folks got some nasty malware. Maybe since John says “My memory has been stuck in childhood memories of late” he is mis-remembering when he uninstalled it.

Ya got me curious so I downloaded and installed CCleaner and got a bonus! Seems Avast now owns CCleaner and Avast Antivirus gets installed WITHOUT WARNING when you install CCleaner. Generally, whenever I use any tool like this, I install it, use it and then uninstall it. FYI: If you uninstall CCleaner, you will still have Avast Antivirus installed.

My advice: PC’s of today are fast and storage is cheap. If it’s important to you - Back that Sh*t up!

Greg Elmassian said:

John, not because of ego, but looking at a problem, there must have been a coincidental situation.

CCLeaner is not the only one out there, some of the free stuff from iobit is good too… All I use CCleaner for is uninstalling software, file cleanup and registry cleanup. It is actually pretty conservative in it’s actions.

I would continue to look for some other issues.

Regards, Greg

Well I liked CC Cleaner, until it refused to play nice and un-installing CC Cleaner resolved those problems.

I was satisfied at that point. I don’t know what else to look for or why.

installing ccleaner does not install avast without warning… you always do a custom install on any software to make your choices… if you accept typical install or express install with any software, you roll the dice on what you get

been that way for years…

Greg

I use Linux most of the time but do have W10 (dual boot) if needed, so I keep it up to date once per week. I think there must have been a few complaints about the “add-on” tick box with CCleaner as the last two CCleaner updates I have received did not have them.

Greg Elmassian said:

installing ccleaner does not install avast without warning… you always do a custom install on any software to make your choices… if you accept typical install or express install with any software, you roll the dice on what you get

This is what I see when I click Custom

So Yeah, I got Avast without warning. Google it. Many folks have reported this. Also, you may want to google “do i need ccleaner for windows 10”

OK. looked into it, and there was a situation where if you did not do the custom install you got it, and if you did do the custom install, it was not really clear how to NOT get avast, it was by unchecking the box.

Read this 8 page thread if you want to know the real situation: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=208612.0

Anyway, it has been corrected.

Anyway back to why I started this thread, help on windows 10, so linux comments are not appreciated … I’ll try to keep it on track or I’ll just start another thread… this thread is intended to be helpful, not a wide open bitch discussion on all things computer.

To the current major windows version update from 1709 to 1803, I have found ONE problem. It seems to only affect computers with the Atom processor. After the update, if your sound icon now has a red x on it, and it indicates something wrong with the sound, re-install your original sound/audio driver - nothing else. Apparently the update incorrectly updates the sound driver. In 10 of my computers that updated, this happened to 2 of them, both had Atom processors, but a third with an atom processor seems fine.

Greg

Sorry you are offended by the use of the word (just one by the way) Linux. It was necessary to convey my findings regarding CC. It is no wonder you get so much aggravation Greg, you seem to find so much fault with everything. Life can be short, take it easy for a change.

OK Mr. Greg, I’ll try to ignore you from here on out, until you forget your manners again.

But you do know that you don’t own your thread here and there are nice ways to guide them along.

"this thread is intended to be helpful, not a wide open bitch discussion on all things computer"

The use of bold is like yelling and stomping your feet and such language in Bob’s living room!!!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Not certain if this issue is associated with any specific update, release, build, version, etc. for Windows 10, but there is this -

Windows 10’s April Update is making Chrome and Cortana freeze PCs

Mark, thanks, that is helpful, I have to confess I don’t use either Cortana (I don’t want my voice recorded and thus more information about me fed to Bing), and I don’t use Chrome (because google makes a business out of selling your data and analyzing what you do each day)

John and Alan: Yes, no one owns a thread.

But a thread started for a very specific reason should have some RESPECT associated with the topic. Linux has no business on a thread intended to be on Windows 10. I also tried to help John look past what happened to focus on the issue of a good product and I gave an alternative.

No problem John and Alan, I’ll stop this helpful thread because of your attitudes. You could have just been quiet, but you had to come out swinging. I have lots of other things to do than to fight with your nastiness.

Greg

Greg,

You Sir, Have rubbed me the wrong way.

I do not want to go back and forth about CCleaner. I downloaded the product yesterday and installed it and my experience was that I did not have an option to opt out of the Avast install.

If you are truly looking to help folks with Windows 10 issues:

1. Stop citing your personal experiences with your home-built machines. That is akin to someone to giving advice about growing things in Zone 9 to folks in Zone 5.

2. Please do not link to your page “Computer Stuff” as it is NOT helpful in regards to Windows 10. It’s full of outdated info more suited to someone running windows XP. Do you really still do that weekly regimen on your 14 windows machines? Must take the whole dang weekend especially with those Atom processors!

3. Who do you think you are? I know you said it’s a hobby but the verbiage was more like - I’m Greg, I have 14 windows machines in my home, I installed the newest windows update on some of them and so now I’m an expert.

BTW: This is not a hobby for me. I lead a back-line support team for a multi-billion dollar financial institution. Over 4000 Windows machines. All but about 200 have Win10 and 0 have CCleaner installed. How many have been affected by Malware, Spyware and the like? zero - because (Like Adam) we have a good firewall and educate user to not open questionable e-mails.

I see the “Other Hobbies” forum as one to be used for showing off interesting projects. Not PC advice.

Can we go back to talking about trains now?

Thanks,
-Dan

Well I see we have arrived at the juvenile; deleting of any helpful stuff out of spite.

If you don’t want comments post it as an Article, then it’s all yours. Simple.

Be Nice.

You’ve been invited into my living room to talk trains. Whether you’ve come to ask questions, or to generously share what you know or what you’ve done, remember that we’re all here to learn, and have fun, together. Be welcoming and patient, especially with those who may not know everything you do. Oh, and bring your sense of humor. Just in case.

That basically covers it. But these guidelines may help:

1. Rudeness and belittling language are not okay. Your tone should match the way you’d talk in person with someone you respect and whom you want to respect you. If you don’t have time to say something politely, just leave it for someone who does.

2. Be welcoming, be patient, and assume good intentions. Don’t expect new users to know all the rules - they don’t. And be patient while they learn. If you’re here for help, make it as easy as possible for others to help you. Everyone here is volunteering, and no one responds well to demands for help.

3. Avoid off-topic, and filler posts. Stay on topic within the thread, and contribute to it. Don’t post just to increase your post count…

4. Don’t be a jerk. These are just a few examples. If you see them, report them:

• Name-calling. Focus on the post, not the person. That includes terms that feel personal even when they’re applied to posts (like “lazy”, “ignorant”, or “whiny”).

• Bigotry of any kind. Language likely to offend or alienate individuals or groups based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. will not be tolerated. At all. (Those are just a few examples; when in doubt, just don’t.)

• Inappropriate language or attention. Avoid vulgar terms and anything sexually suggestive.

• Harassment and bullying. If you see a hostile interaction, report it. If it keeps up, disengage - we’ll handle it. If something needs our attention, you can use the contact us link at the bottom of every page.

1. Use the Report feature. The forums have a method to report offensive, annoying, or any other inappropriate content. This is the easiest way to let me know something is up. Don’t respond to anything you don’t like, EVEN IF IT IS DIRECTED AT YOU. If you do, you become part of the problem. Report it instead. If I get a number of reports about the same content, I will take action, most likely suspending the offending account.

In summary, have fun, and be good to each other.

So John you fail forum rules 1, 2, 3, and 4… congratulations… asking to stay on topic is NOT RUDE and is a FORUM RULE

Greg

Makes one wonder what happened to the other train forums “back in the day” when “Large Scale Central” was nothing but a pimple on a skeeters rear end to most folks that are now here posting? LSC has and always will be the only forum for sharing the hobby of large scale model trains at least in my book!

Just saying?