Large Scale Central

Transformer

New power supply came in today. Track has been leveled and ballasted. Needs to be cleaned and then can test run trains before open house on Halloween.

Thanks to all of you for the help in locating and purchasing new power supply for the layout. I purchased (2) 24V Meanwell and they worked like a charm for the open house. Thanks again.

After I purchased two power supplies, I am left with an Aristo Craft CRE-55465 power supply. Question is: will this power supply provide the power for the lighting on the layout? I have been using alternatives for lighting but would like to run some Malibu wiring and light up the buildings. Will this power supply work? Thanks.

For layout lights with regular bulbs, why not just use a malibu transformer (these are made to be outdoors in all kinds of weather).??

No need for conversion to DC and this keeps it simple and some have sensors for light and timers for how long they are on. (I use one for my RR).

So the Malibu produces power at 12v the voltage grain of wheat bulbs run on?

Yes, the Malibu is 12 volts AC. Mine had a timer on it, so I could have the lights come on at dusk and go off at midnight.

I used the 4 watt (I have 8 of these in parallel) malibu bulbs and found them to be too bright so I added a 2 ohm resistor in series with the output and this lowered the voltage to give a more ‘mellow yellow’ light. Also I used a long 16 guage wire which can drop some voltage also. Lower voltage will prolong the life of a bulb as a side benefit.

Dan, how do you distribute the feeder lines from the main trunk line for Malibu wiring? Solder, wire tie?

They sell wire nuts for that application that have silicone in them, so when put on the wires, it self seals. I used regular wire nuts, and then shot RTV into them.

A little apples to apples here, the CRE-55465 is a regulated, switching power supply, puts out 12 or 22v DC… and the voltage is stable regardless of load (until you overload it ha ha).

The Malibu transformer is just that, an unregulated AC transformer, and it’s output will vary wildly with load. Most Malibu units run about 16 volts under light loads, and it can sag quite a bit if you really load it down.

Also they come in all different wattages.

Yes, the Crest regulated switching DC power supply is overkill, but be sure to plan what you do with the Malibu, it’s cheap and there’s a reason why.

Greg

And automotive bulbs are really not 12 volts as cars with charging circuits really have closer to 14 volts output when running and the battery drops to 12.6 volts when motor is off. So, most bulbs are really 14 volts but listed as 12 volt.

Also note that due to 12.6 volt lead-acid battery voltages (2.1 volts per cell), the old tube tv’s and radios had 12.6 volt ratings for the tube filaments and transformers were wired to give 6.3 and 12.6 volt outputs.

Agreed, but I want to get the point across that there is a fundamental difference between the constant voltage regulated supply, and one whose voltage rating is nominal, and varies widely according to load.

I know I am repeating myself, but want to be clear on this, the malibu will be cheaper, but may take some experimentation on what voltage is really achieved, and WILL change as more or less load is added or subtracted.

The Crest supply will always have a constant voltage right up to the rated amperage.

For simple lighting where the idea is just some illumination, and the intent is to indeed run the lamps at a lower voltage to dim them somewhat, the Malibu is not only a good choice but clearly more cost effective.

If you had a system where you needed to rely on the voltage or the brightness, or were running close to the max voltage on lights, or were likely to significantly add or remove lamps from the system, starting out with a regulated supply is a better idea.

OK, I’m sure that is way more than anyone wanted to know on contrasting a regulated supply with a completely unregulated transformer.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Agreed, but I want to get the point across that there is a fundamental difference between the constant voltage regulated supply

Write it on the white board in the chat room beer fridge so we can all get the memo including Fred

I think I’m done ha ha!

I can not see the white board through all that cigar smoke!!

Guilty as charged…

Gregg, all I am doing with the Crest transformer is running lights. It is now a 12v transformer, because the higher voltage was shorted out some how and it no longer works.

By the way, most likely it is just the voltage slide switch that has failed.

Greg

I need some immediate help. I cannot get my aristo-craft train engineer receiver and transmitter to talk. What am I doing wrong to get them on the same frequency?

Typically, you could first select a track number (channel) and frequency on the transmitter to that you want to use. But this is not necessary if the transmitter was not changed and you’re only using one and want to get it to link.

To link the trnsmitter and receiver:

Turn on the DC power source.

The transmitter M_UST BE AT LEAST 2 FEET_ away fom the receiver’s antenna…

Press the “CODE SET” button on the receiver and hold it for 2 seconds. The “CODE SIGNAL” light on the receiver will turn on (if working properly).

Once the light turns on, immediately press the “C” button on the transmitter and hold it until the signal light on the receiver begins to blink.

Release the “C” button for a moment and press it again. The light should glow continuously until the button is released. They are now linked.