Large Scale Central

Tie plates

Holey moley, that is some fine track-work.

Jim,

Where did you get the rail braces? Or is this something you made? I’ve been looking for a long time for rail braces and thought that I would have to resort to 3D printing them.

I’ll second that holy moley!

Well now that the bar has been set impossibly high (just kidding), here is my next attempt at tie plates. Last night I cut these from tin plated steel sheet material. I won’t be able to do the little channel for the rail but I will install a few tomorrow and see how it looks.

My first attempt pictured previously were painted styrene but I don’t think they would hold up over time. I think the steel will be much better outdoors and should weather realistically.

I’ll second that holy moley! Amazing realism!

Well now that the bar has been set impossibly high (just kidding), here is my next attempt at tie plates. Last night I cut these from tin plated steel sheet material. I won’t be able to do the little channel for the rail but I will install a few tomorrow and see how it looks. And one $3 sheet yielded about 150 ties.

My first attempt pictured previously were painted styrene but I don’t think they would hold up over time. I think the steel will be much better outdoors and should weather realistically.

Once those rust they should look great use steel spikes and they will rust also and the whole package will look very good

Craig,

I beleive I purchased the Rail Slide Braces from Llagas Creek. Llagas is under new management and I don’t see the Rail Braces in their product line. You might contact them to see if there are any left over. If not I can send you a group of them if that would assist you in your 3D printing effort.

Jim

Jim Kottkamp said:

Craig,

I beleive I purchased the Rail Slide Braces from Llagas Creek. Llagas is under new management and I don’t see the Rail Braces in their product line. You might contact them to see if there are any left over. If not I can send you a group of them if that would assist you in your 3D printing effort.

Jim

Jim,

I haven’t seen them on the Llagas line for at least 10 years… So I’m not sure how long ago you bought them, or if Llagas got them from a 3rd party either? If you want to send a couple in the mail that would be great. I could either cast copies or use them for 3D printing…

Figured out how to do this from my phone! Request desktop site.

Anyhow, I’m pretty happy with this look. And hopefully the plates will age gracefully. Looks a little rough hewn but I think it’s fitting. And the literally quick and dirty ballast fill gives some idea of the finished look.

Whatcha think?

One more.

Close up I see some edges are curling up slightly. The metal is very thin of course and I arched each one before installing to combat this but I guess a few got away.

I like it. While there maybe more realistic products one can buy I would say that is s nice DIY solution and I always prefer that.

I like it a lot. Since you’re cutting your own ties, why not vary the length of them? That’s the way they really look…it’s amazing the variety of lengths of ties when you really look at 'em on railroad lines, at least the wood ties (the concrete ties are all exactly alike, I can’t stand it!). Also, myself, I use much, much smaller crusher fines for a more balanced look to the ballast. Your tie plate solution is great though. I need a solution to Gargraves track for tieplates, but if I start hand-laying, like on bridges, I’ve got your solution bookmarked and waiting in the wings. Well done.

Thanks Devon and John.
I guess I hadn’t thought about varying the ties. In cutting them you sort of get a rhythm of cut the stock into lengths, then cut each of those into 3(in my case) ties.
I have many more to cut so I will consider your suggestion.
And your suggestion for finer ballast is on my list, too. That was some 3/8 gravel I have on hand.
For illustrative purposes only : )

That looks great. And the few that slipped passed inspection and were used with a bit of curl, wont really be noticeable once they rust up a bit.

As to length of course it matters if you are doing a main line or back woods line. I think most class 1 main line roads would have pretty uniform ties.

That track looks great!

Eric, yes they may be nearly uniform in length, but they aren’t all perfectly lined up. One many be a few inches further to the right, and another a few inches further to the left, and that one down the track a ways is actually a bit crooked.

Thanks to all who posted. Very interesting and informative :slight_smile:

Jim Kottkamp said:

Craig,

Jim

I think I recognised those ‘braces’ when I took a closer look. Llagas used to sell plastic point blade sliders, with the brace on the outside. Photo attached below, along with some other tie plate “plugs” that they used to make.

The Llagas frog is very similar to Jim’s - and comes with the nuts and bolts already included! See attached pic.

Devon Sinsley said:

I like it. While there maybe more realistic products one can buy I would say that is s nice DIY solution and I always prefer that.

Each approach has its appeal in both the seeing and the doing. And when you can see that the do-er enjoyed the do-ing that too is appealing.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Each approach has its appeal in both the seeing and the doing. And when you can see that the do-er enjoyed the do-ing that too is appealing.

I agree totally, it is all a personal preference. I certainly appreciate a highly detailed model with all the bells and whistles. But as a guy who likes to make as many of the details as I can, I naturally lean to the DIY style. Thats why I love this hobby, there are so many ways to do it and as along as one keeps an open mind each aspect can be appreciated.

Large Scale is so unique in that it ranges in scale from relatively small (comparatively) 1:32 all the way up to 7/8 which is giant. It has scratch built DIY stuff all the way to what ever the latest offering from Accucraft is. And there is something for just about every budget from Vic’s pizza to some of the empires we have out there. Best of all everyone seems welcome and what they like and do is appreciated by the masses.

I hope my comment about my preference for scratch built DIY stuff being “better” was taken as it was meant and that is that it is my personal preference and therefore what I gravitate too; not that it is the best way to do things.

And I also agree Forrest that it is the doing that is the best and it is always fun to see someone do what they love and take enjoyment and pride in it, even if it aint your cup of tea. So thanks for pointing that out.

I just checked with LLagas Creek Railways. The Rail Braces are not listed on their web page, but, they do still carry them.

They cost $2.50 per rail brace. All you need to do is send an email to the LLagas Creek contact email address and they will respond with the proce for the quantity you want. Again, not the sort of thing you would put on all turnouts, just the ones up close.