Large Scale Central

Tie plates

I did the freight shed also but I can’t determine the url.

Is there a tutotial somewhere about this?
I’m usually quite clever… ; )

Craig, I think your comment makes a lot of sense.
Perhaps just bridges, stations, focal points as you said, would be a better use of time and materials.

Great idea!

Patrick McGrath said:
I did the freight shed also but I can’t determine the url. Is there a tutotial somewhere about this? I’m usually quite clever… ; )

This is a sticky from the last software version the owner was using, but it still should work the same…

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty

Hey don’t feel bad about the pictures. I have decided learning to post them is some sort of right of passage or initiation or something. Took me for ever to get it right. First off what web browser are you using because it makes a difference on how you retrieve the URL. It should not make a difference if it is in your album or your freight shed; as both provide a URL. Your pictures are stored in an album and the URL is:

http://largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/c3/f4/01/1f1d0_e128.jpg?c=de36

I got your URL by right clicking on the thumbnail in this post and then selecting to open it in a new tab. Now there are differences in web browsers, in Firefox you can right click and then copy image location. Or in Internet Explorer you can highlight the URL in the address bar and then right click then copy. Once that is done then you can post a reply and use the little mountain looking thing and paste the URL were appropriate.

You have to open the picture in a new browser tab. So go to your photo album or freight shed select the picture and then make sure you actually open the picture up in another browser tab. Then how ever you can do it copy the actual URL not the picture. Then you can use that URL.

Those look pretty good for quick and dirty, even close up.

Patrick McGrath said:
I did the freight shed also but I can’t determine the url. Is there a tutotial somewhere about this? I’m usually quite clever… ; )

I posted one that i hope helps down in the Website forum tab. There are others but I thought I could show how I do it. It even has pictures.

Thanks for the info Devon.

And thanks for the encouragement, John.

Oh yeah and those tie plates look great. If it is easy enough to do, then that looks damn decent IMHO.

i think, it should depend on the timeframe, your layout is to show.

if the time calls for tie plates, and you got time and patience enough - go for it!

it is your empire. do what pleases you!

It has already been said. It really depends on what your modeling. If you are doing more fantasy then you can go either way, although fantasy would look better with a more rough look and not using tie plates. For me it was easy, narrow gauge backwoods logging. I went with no tie plates. You could do certain section with tie plates but Im too anal. Everything has t be the same lol… (shut up Rooster)

This is my track freshly laid (shut up Rooster)

I just soaked the ties in Linseed Oil and let mother nature do the rest of the weathering. Another great thing about logging, they just used logs or stuff cut from the mills, so nothing was perfect.

I dont see it being an issue for you as much, living in Sunny CA but I used number 0 screws every 5th tie. This is to help hold the gauge in case the pikes loosen up. This tends to occur n areas where it gets cold and wet. Honestly you dont notice the screws unless your very close to the tracks. If I have issues with spikes coming out I will switch to the screws.

(http://oi57.tinypic.com/14ukocj.jpg)

Nice work on the tie plates. Go with what pleases your eyes. The extra effort in spiking track is well worth it. I couldn’t be happier with mine. Even if their is extra maintenance I dont mind because the real RR had to do it.

Patrick McGrath said:
Yes, loaded from album. Maybe I shrunk them too much to conserve space?

You probably did shrink them too much. You can tell this site what size to make them when you post them.

The reason they are thumbnails is that you used the “Attach Photo” link below the text post box. This is designed for photos that are NOT currently online - you can load them from your computer [I’ll dig out a tie plate pic - ME tie plates, I think, painted black before use.]

To put your photos “in-line” as we say, you use the little icon of a box with a mountain and sun in it at the top of the text post box. Click the icon, and paste in the link to the photo in your Album or freightshed (a right-click on the pic will tell you its URL/link/location.) The picture posting icon gives you the option of specifying how big he picture will be.when it is seen. Like this:

Here’s the same photo included with the “Attach Photo” link:

The sizing is fine. Its the Attachment method. When I attach them for him I am not having to resize them so they are stored in the photo album the right size. We figured out the problem. Many phones do not show the little mountain/sun icon it seems. They show no tool bar at all at the top of the reply box. So when we tell him to click on the icon he thinks either we or he is nuts. I think he will get it as soon as he switches to his PC then he will see exactly what we are talking about.

I just use www.tinypic.com for my photos. You just upload photo, set the size (for forums, emails etc…) then copy picture and paste to the forum. Its really easy and you can use that link for any site etc…

asdfasfas

asdfasfas ?

Joe Zullo said:

asdfasfas ?

Joe that’s short for I don’t got nuthin’ to say but I got a great picture, which it really is…the question for Jim is, Who makes that track and those plates? It’s perfect. I’d spend a lot to get tracks to look like that.

edit: I mean money or time spending wise.

I just realized that you get the add attachment (below the reply box) when you ‘Quote This’ otherwise it’s not there…

John

John Caughey said:

I just realized that you get the add attachment (below the reply box) when you ‘Quote This’ otherwise it’s not there…

John

John - I think you mean the “Attach Photo” option appears when you ‘quote this’. It also comes when you hit the “Reply” at the TOP of the page, not the ‘Quick Reply’ at the bottom.

I think it also appears when you ‘edit’ a post, as that gets you get the full treatment also. [Edit: well, you get to ‘manage photo’ when you are editting an existing post.]

Oh, thanks. I had remembered seeing it, 'cept of course when it was mentioned here and I looked for it.

John

First an apology. It’s been a long time since I’ve posted a photo in this forum. I am hoping that the two photos will appear once posted this time…
I have an F Scale “diorama” in my basement and installed a window to go outside to the garden railway. The quotes on diorama are due to the fact that the diorama is 25 feet long and 10 feet wide and one end. This area is the Ridgway engine facility, round table, and depot. To try and get the rail accurate, ten years ago I did a lot of research on Narrow Gauge track and turnouts. I took photos of Durango and Silverton and purchased D&RGW drawing of standard turnout designs from John Maxwell (now available from the Colorado RR Museum). I see little utility in putting this amount of detail into outdoor track, but I wanted to go the extra mile to get the track as accurate as possible for the indoor area.
I wrote an article in the 2007 Modeler’s Annual of Finescale Railroader. This article is still available at the following URL http://www.montageww.com/2007modelersannual.aspx in case anybody would like to purchase a copy.

This photo shows the completed points of the turnout, complete with both tie plates (from Hartford) and rail slide braces.
The ties are wire brushed cedar stained the brown color.

The frog was made up out of 215 Nickel Silver rail from Llagas Creek. The rails are soldered together with nuts and bolts added after all the soldering was complete.