Large Scale Central

Some updated info on 2017 Revolution equipment

Strange, were you able to re-load the base station with the same file?

Let me see what I can find out… do you have any onboard units?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Strange, were you able to re-load the base station with the same file?

Let me see what I can find out… do you have any onboard units?

Greg

Yes I was able to re-load the file it came with. Yes i have 1 new on board and i could change that to the old sound and then back. I did not try to change from diesel to steam.

cheers richard

Ok called Revolution today and was able to talked to two people. We walked thru how I tried to change the sound on the base I had done it right, but I had left my crest 57091A hooked up, disconnected and the down load went well. The sounds for the base are the old ones,they said would look into changing that.

cheers Richard

That is weird Richard, so a load on the output interfered with the update process?

Good to know. I guess I should start a tips section…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

That is weird Richard, so a load on the output interfered with the update process?

Good to know. I guess I should start a tips section…

Greg

Good idea! Of the people originally involved with the Revolution System, I think you are the only one left. Unless Dave still has his ear to the track.

Started!

(I had a page that was not being updated)

http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=554:te-revolution-tips&catid=19&Itemid=672

Greg

Paul Norton said:

Good idea! Of the people originally involved with the Revolution System, I think you are the only one left. Unless Dave still has his ear to the track.

Paul - I do plan on doing a tear-down and review of the new linear base station & the USB interface - hope to have time in the next week or so to get to it - stay tuned!

dave

I have a linear one, but want to hold off my stress testing until I get some issues understood with fan cooling.

Greg

That’s good news gentlemen!

Having a linear output option for the on-board Revolution receiver sure would have made my USA Trains battery power installations a lot easier. Just plug the Revolution linear output (motor power) into the main board in place of the track power leads, and both the motors and lights should work.

Paul Norton said:

That’s good news gentlemen!

Having a linear output option for the on-board Revolution receiver sure would have made my USA Trains battery power installations a lot easier. Just plug the Revolution linear output (motor power) into the main board in place of the track power leads, and both the motors and lights should work.

Paul, where does it say the on board Revolution has a linear output?

Yes Paul it is good news. When we get them, I heard the first batch did not play well so were sent back for changes also your pushing the price point with the two at around $150 street.

cheers richard

The on-board receiver does not have linear DC output, except for the lighting outputs.

But the new Linear Output Plug and Play Board REV 57079 does.

A Canadian Supplier, Winona Garden Railway, shows them In Stock at CDN$85.

Oddly enough RLD shows them as Out of Stock.

REVOLUTION DC P&P BOARD

Something I noticed, while there have been about 5 different “plug and play” sockets made, the diodes to “help” the headlight circuits seem to be gone in the recent incarnations.

I see the 3 terminal connector for the headlights, as always, but I thought the diodes were needed because the common was not hooked up or something.

Perhaps Dave or Paul know?

Greg

Thanks Paul.

How do you use REV 57079 in locos already fitted with standard PnP sockets?

Since the only locos that come with the socket are Aristo and Bachman, why would you do this?

I will admit that some Aristo locos have lighting issues, like the RS-3 with the stupid microprocessor used as a voltage regulator, you get a bit of blinky blinky at low speeds.

But why would you use this in an Aristo or Bachmann with a socket already?

Paul stated it would make his USA Trains installations easier.

Tony, honestly, what the heck are you driving at? You jumped all over the linear thing when you misread the posts. What’s the real story here?

Greg

No real story. Just looking for answers.

Paul said
"Having a linear output option for the on-board Revolution receiver sure would have made my USA Trains battery power installations a lot easier".
However, because socket equipped locos are not excluded, I believe the casual would reader would likely infer that in general an on board Revolution has a linear option. That is a bit misleading, as it is an add on option that really only applies to non socket equipped locos.

Socket equipped locos would still be taking PWM. I have never ever had a problem doing precisely that using PWM ESC’s with socket equipped and non socket locos.

BTW I have used the 50791 filter on various track powered small scale locos. DC, DCC and sound equipped DCC. Yes it quietened 100 Hz PWM right down but it tended to make all of them way less gradual in starting. Very close to being ON - OFF.

I have no experience using the filters with Large Scale locos.

Paul called RLD today they are not on the market yet and if you go to revoelectronics.com they show not in stock there price is $69.50 so real close to your Canadian supplier.

cheers Richard

Greg Elmassian said:

Something I noticed, while there have been about 5 different “plug and play” sockets made, the diodes to “help” the headlight circuits seem to be gone in the recent incarnations.

I see the 3 terminal connector for the headlights, as always, but I thought the diodes were needed because the common was not hooked up or something.

Perhaps Dave or Paul know?

Greg

There does appear to be a small diode next to the 12-position socket on the Linear P&P Board above.

I know the (Non) P&P Board CRE 57077 (UEXT-10 V1.3) has the diodes by the fuses.

The wired adapter board (UEXT-02 V1.1) has the diodes behind the 12-position socket.

The later 7-screw terminal adapter CON1 also has the diodes behind the 12-position socket.

Tony Walsham said:

Thanks Paul.

How do you use REV 57079 in locos already fitted with standard PnP sockets?

The Aristo-Craft and Bachmann locomotives with P&P sockets worked well with the PWC output.

So there was no need for me to add the PWC to Linear DC Boards (CRE-57091).

It was only the USA Trains locomotives with the LM317 programmable voltage regulator that caused problems with the lights.

Some of the newer USA Trains locomotives do not have that voltage regulator, so the lights on them work OK on PWC.

I preferred to remove the contrary PCBs from those USA Trains locomotives and just add a P&P Board and LED lights.

Removing the USA boards and smoke units left room for a receiver and sound board.

The LEDs drew much less power than the USAT PCBs and incandescent lamps.

That saved battery power and increased run times.

The only time I used a PWC to Linear DC Board (CRE-57091) was for a trailing battery power and radio control boxcar for an LGB 0-6-0.

I was told LGB motors did not like PWC.

PWC to LINEAR DC BOARD

I still have three of these boards hanging around.

Has anybody tried out the OnBoard Crest Patch file to program the Crest onboard receivers?

I would like to try, but they say they are not responsible for any problems arising from the

reprogram of Crest™ products. Why provide the file if they won’t support it?

Tom