Large Scale Central

Should I build a rail sweeper or buy one?

Ben Hancock said:

I have one of the Rail Clean units that I run on a 18V. tool battery, direct hook up, no speed control. It’ll blow stuff EVERYWHERE, including all over the engine it’s being pushed by. At least one idler car in between helps with that, though.

Build a cover for the brush like I did eliminate that problem. Later RJD

Yeah, the “hood” over the “sweeper” part.

Funny, my brush type one does not seem to have that problem, I don’t have a hood for it… seems that since it’s down on the ties, it sweeps out and away much more than up in the air.

Greg

Update: I did try the track cleaning aspect of the MOW rig the other day and the drip drip worked pretty well. The rail broom is a different story. I am really stuck on the cost of installing batteries in this and the room I have in the cab is limiting what I can do. I should have built the cab bigger but adding the rail broom was an after thought. I am still considering going track power or maybe I can build a bigger cab and pony up the money for batteries and a charger.

Don, RJ and Ben, I like the rigs you guys built. A shield is a good idea.

I had to go back to your first post to remember you have a centerline:

(For those not familiar, a short length of what looks like a paint roller goes in the middle, and it is angles (not really visible in this picture) the roller rolls and can clean the rails nicely. The frame is really heavy.

Do you have some pictures of your setup so far Todd?

Greg

That is the base of my multi purpose MOW unit Greg and it does use a paint roller that is wetted with a track cleaning solution like goo gone which is slippery or better is 70% isopropyl alcohol since it evaporates. I also built a track drying car similar in design to the Centerline car in that it uses 3 paint rollers to help clean and dry the rails.

Here is the car now. If I knew I was going to be adding the rail broom I would have built the cab bigger so a bigger battery would fit in. It is removable so I might have to do just that.

Yeah, thanks for posting the picture, very creative.

I’d build the cab out and over the motor, i.e. incorporate the “hood” into part of the cab.

Also make it go back closer to the roller. Then I think you would have neough space against the back wall, and/or perhaps the floor for more mattereis.

When you get done, I’d love to post a big, high resolution picture on my site.

Greg