Large Scale Central

Scratch SD70ACe

I posted a video link of it on page 1. I may put a smaller smoke unit in her and save that jumbo one for a steamer. It looks like she blew a cylinder!!

Joe Paonessa said:

here she is a while back running. To me…that was an accomplishment in itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAow2-yxRyY

here’s the video

Well if the workbench is clean, I guess I have no excuse anymore. I got a little more done on the intakes

Very nice…

How did you end up making the intakes? Inquiring minds want to know!

3 different types of stainless screen run thru the crimper. Don’t know the exact name of each part but the smallest screen is then bent tight with a blade. That’s on the side up high, by the exhaust.

I’m considering just scratching the body to represent the door panels. It’s tuff to cut them perfect:

Then, I started making the railings only to realize where I was measuring from, wasn’t the right place. All the stantions need to be moved…again. one step forward, two steps back…

Joe Paonessa said:

I’m considering just scratching the body to represent the door panels.

That’s how I do it Joe

:wink:

Well…, maybe a step forward??

I was walking thru a store and I found spray cans of Rustoleum for plastic? I never saw it before. It was marked down some so I took a few cans of off white and navy blue to the cash register. The girl said they rang up for 1 dollar! I grabbed a bunch. So now I have my original CSX dark future colors by Floquil, and now EMD demo’s by rustoleum. I found a can of bright red that maybe close to CN??? Hmmm, I’ve got to pick the color someday…

How about just primer for another year?? Don’t think I could pull off any pumpkin schemes myself… Wait. How about Heritage’s??? Urrggg. Maybe NS, or NYC black!!no wait…I should have made copies…

Well one step forward again and two…

I added length to the rear pilot area and then found it was still too short. Had to rip it off before the glue set for good. Started working on the intakes again and got superglue on my fingertip which made another mark on the body…URGGG!!!

Stick with it Joe, it’s looking good. If no one has built a locomotive they don’t realize how much work/thought/time goes into it. Worth it, I think, but it does become a job at times.

Thank you Jerry!

Yeah, that’s probably why it’s taking so long!!

Got some good advice from Stan and bought some more paint. At least, I’m getting the colors worked out now.

Looking good so far!

I’m not that talented so I just try and force something out of it when I can. These intakes aren’t perfect but they’re the best I can do. I still have to fix the frame from GE to EMD details.

It is quite humbling to get replies and cheers from people who’s work I’ve admired for years. Thank you all for the compliments. I’ve gotten help from quite a few people also. I’ll have to thank everyone formally at the end of the build.

I need to make some panels for the sides of the engines. On the side of the engine at the top rear, are some panels that have vents. Has anyone ever created these? It looks like I could press the rear of a thin sheet to create them?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1294262

Louvers? I’d say 1/4 or 1/2 round styrene might work. I haven’t had the need to make any louvers yet so it’s just a guess. You could try punching them out of thin sheet, but you would need to create just the right angle.

I’ve done them using small quarter-round rods before. Not difficult, just a bit tedious.

Uh Ohh. Thanks for the ideas. Looks like three rows of 18 on each panel (3 x 18 x 2) and very small. I may have to skip them. Maybe a thin sheet of brass would have been better for stamping but I’m not set up for that anyways.

I wish I had made the intake louvers thinner also out of brass?

Maybe I can find one already made and make a copy mold?? Somethings on this project are over my talent range!!!

I think I may have solved it. They are already modeled on the rear side of the USA SD70MAC. I’m looking at an article by Burl Rice in GR and he uses modeling clay for molds. I need to get some and make a mold of these vents.

Another option is to get some HO or N scale clapboard siding (whichever looks best). Cut a strip of it to fit the length and width of your louvers, then glue that into a similarly-sized opening on the panel, raised slightly above the panel surface. Or if you’re less particular, you can even glue it directly onto the panel surface.