Large Scale Central

Rebuilt Merchant Navy

Ah, right. I keep forgetting that the internet has to pass down old wet rope here in rural East Anglia.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

It was pretty slow here for ages but now we have fibre optic yay!

Stu

Well, our village does, too, but it has to work down to us in the prioritised way they do things around here. I dare say that we will be using FO before too long, and then I can justify have TWO huge TVs rather than one we watch programmes on and the other that me and ig and the boys watch our trains on…

Anyhow, we’ve finally decided that the blue ‘Tornado’ is way prettier than the RBMN. Are you getting one of those as well?

tac etc.

No not for me tac. I’m sure it will be a great model but it’s the wrong region for me we are strictly southern and Canadian Pacific here. It’s a personal preference but I’m not keen on gas firing on big locos either much prefer either meths or coal. Whatever your preference though the increase inker reasonably priced models of a high standard has to be good for the hobby.

Stuart

Ah, ‘reasonably priced’ and Gauge 1 ‘coal-firing’ do not necessarily go together.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Very true but good fun!

More footage of the RBMNs running at a great track in southeast England in Friday. Easily managing 20 carriages and some very controlled slow running

http://youtu.be/2bEG0qxdBZs

Stuart

A lovely Pullman train there, Stuart and Trevor, but please ease up on the ‘stirring’ music. I’d much rather hear the noise made by the locomotive[s] than be moved to go and invade some fuzzy-wuzzy country in defence of the empire.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

WTH? Where DOES this pesky strike-through thing come from?

tac

tac,

I don’t know what you are whining talking about! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Uhh… the strike through comes from hitting the strike through button? in Advanced editing it’s to the right of the underline and to the left of the text color.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Uhh… the strike through comes from hitting the strike through button? in Advanced editing it’s to the right of the underline and to the left of the text color.

Greg

I don’t recall ever using any kind of advanced editing on this site, and TTTT, wouldn’t have the foggiest notion how to go about it. I seldom use the tool bar, but when I do it’s usually just the bold that I employ to make a point. All I know is that I use the regular keys on my keyboard, and when my text appears on the thread, some of it is struck through and some ain’t.

And it’s getting tiresome.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Morning all

Below is a short film of the rest of last Friday’s meeting, hope you enjoy.

Stuart

http://youtu.be/uD4sNChhuXA

Great video, Stuart. Interesting to note the difference in actual size between the 1/32nd and 10mm scales when they are in the same consist.

Who built those lovely LNER teaks?

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Thanks Tac

I’m not sure who built the Teaks they belong to a local member who is very into the vintage and tinplate stuff so I think they are quite old. They do look good though!

Stuart

Here in rural East Anglia an acquaintance of mine and a member of the Anglian group makes laser-cut kits fot the LNER teak coaches. All you have to do is to provide trucks, ventilators, hand-irons, grab-irons, corridor ends and the bits that go underneath the body. Basically, the kit will cost you around £500, before you’ve built it and slapped a few coats of varnish on it to bring out the wood-grain.

Oh, and decals.

Forgot about the decals.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Tac

My father joined the gauge 1 association in 1994 but didn’t actually go any further than reading the journal till about 2006. One of the reasons was the price of coaching stock. He could justify the price of a loco but then you had to more than double it to get a decent train. Trevor’s mk1’s have been a breath of fresh air. I do wonder sometimes if some people actually want gauge 1 to get more affordable. There has been some slightly snooty criticism on the other forum of the new accucraft A3 as it is 2 cylinder. I think we’ve proved that 2 cylinders is more than adequate for power requirements with the RBMN and it sounds good too. As far as I’m concerned if younger members are genuinely wanted by gauge 1 then more affordable has to be a good thing.

Stu

Ranting in kent