Large Scale Central

Rebuilt Merchant Navy

Interesting to see that the G1 Model Company’s version has the BR totem correctly aligned above the centre wheel axle, and the double-priced ‘other one’ does not. If you, the builder of the ‘other one’ DO correctly locate it with regard to the axle, it is no longer in the centre of the lined-out panel, and would look, uh, wrong.

Hmmmmmm.

I ‘spose that IF I got one I could always run it with a consist made up of other, richer folks’ passenger cars, right? :wink:

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Take a look at this little movie from an interesting perspective - it IS a RMN, BTW…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTXTTg1XdA

tac

Ottawa Valley GTS

Ooh thats the kind of shot I try to acheive with my drone but rarely manage. id have ended up crashing down the funnel or something.

The team went to a lot of time and effort to get the RBMN as right as we can. Inevitably there will be compromises but it was important not to rush the loco out and have lots of problems with it. I know people will point to it only having 2 cylinders but it is built to last with a very solid feel about it and the miniature LeMaitre blast is a little masterpiece.

Stuart

Stuart - I was over at a good friend near Leicester yesterday having a small GTG and between the gusts of wind listening out to the numerous comments made by two extremely-experienced builders of the many minute but extremely frustrating glitches with the ‘other’ RMN during the construction of their models. Sometimes, it seems, simple CAN be better. Even a simple missing ‘O’ ring can hold up the building for a couple of weeks or three, and involve a third-party in the equation, and that was just the iceberg tip.

Not being flush with huge spare funds, Trevor’s version could well be the very last G1 loco I ever buy - IF I can flong something else first, as mrs tac so gently reminds me.

With our annual trips to Oregon and Canada coming up, calls on our dwindling savings from selling leaves and twigs to passing gentry, and playing at being the village idiot for their delight and generous donations are hitting hard. Why, earlier today, as we broke our fast with the first glimp of the sun, mrs tac and I had to share the sucking a piece of string that had once held a haunch of venison in His Lordship’s kitchen, and not for the first time, either.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Yes ive also heard of a lot of niggling issues that shouldnt really happen. Im sure they are a fine model when they are eventually sorted out.

There are plenty of mk1,'s about for the RBMN to haul and in my experience as long as you are careful people are always happy to loan out stock.

Stuart

Well, it’s not as though I’m going to be speeding off into sunset with a dozen or so passenger cars - their owner can usually stand there and watch as one of MY locos hauls his stock without fear and trepidation ruining the experience for him. The same goes for the reciprocal’ although much of MY rolling would actually look better if it was dropped on a hard surface.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I’m with you there tac I’ve not mastered the brass gauge 1 “kit” the laser cut wood ones I get better results from.

Dads run the merchant navy on his track today which has one pretty tight corner and reports no derailing or bogie lifting which is more good news!

So where is the movie?

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Sadly I couldn’t film it tac as I’m up in Scotland for a few days. Maybe I’ll give it a spin Sunday weather permitting.

Stuart

I’m very sorry to hear that you are in Scotland. Who was it that you upset?

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Visiting my girlfriends family. Home tomorrow.

Condolences. However, look on the bright side - soon you’ll be coming back to a place where the sun actually does shine now and then. Unless your name begins with ‘The’ and ends with ‘Queen’ all efforts at being cheerful up there are doomed to failure, unless, of course, you also play golfbat or take pleasure in the risk of perishing alone on a barren wind-swept hillside.

‘The finest thing a Scotchman may see is the road to London’ - Samuel Johnson

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

One word of warning Stuart: just keep away from people with ‘fishy’ sounding surnames. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Dear all

As promised video of a quick first run in the garden this wet and windy morning.

Loco coped with gradients and tight turns with no problems.

Stu

https://youtu.be/VL-CZATUKfM?list=UUpTxu6OsElYrH2E5c9ww0jw

Cool! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Good vid, thanks for posting it. V. fine stooms of pleam as well.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Yes it was fairly cold and windy out in the garden this morning. Things I do for you lot.

Another video. This time of wednesdays meeting at Iden Coach House.

This was the first proper public run for 35010 Blue Star. 20 on the hook no problems at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYiIhq6MXpE

Stuart

Stuart, great video and some fine running there, albeit it a trifle fast for my taste. On a serious note, you really must persuade Trevor to upgrade his camera resolution. It’s great to have a fine product like the RBMN undoubtedly is, but a real bummer having to watch it on a paleolithic framing rate that Charlie Chaplin would scoff at.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Thanks tac

Actually it’s filmed in 1080p full hd on a gopro hero 3 black so the resolution is pretty high. Likelyhood is that YouTube is reducing it for your internet connection to prevent it buffering. Resolution is looking good this end.

Stu