Large Scale Central

My health update.

Best of Luck to you my friend, I pray that your doctors find their answers.

I begin Chemo tomorrow, come join me in recovery from what ails…

Devon, I hope you get some good news with the surgeon tomorrow and some relief on Friday. And John, good luck on your chemo treatments. You both will be in our prayers.

John you can keep your chemo. That just not sound entertaining at all.

John and Devon: may it help!

Spinal tap was a success so far. My opening pressure was 23. The highest it has ever been that I know of is 24. So basically I am right where I was. 18 is high and 15 is considered normal. She drew off a whopping 30cc of fluid and my closing pressure was 13. I immediately notice the ringing in my ear diminish. My eyes dont feel.like they are popping out of my head. Still have a headache but nowhere near what it was. So this is all great news.

Now the mystery is how long will it last. It’s supposed to give me a couple weeks of reduced symptoms. It wont take them away entirely. I know it WILL come back but the question is when.

I saw the general surgeon in passing at the hospital and he is for sure doing my surgery to clean out my wounds but we are waiting on a CT scan first.

Glad to hear it helped ease some of the symptoms… Hope you keep making progress… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Great news, Devon. Glad you are getting some relief, even if it is temporary. Hopefully it will last longer than expected, praying for you.

Great first step!

Jim Rowson said:

Great first step!

The surgeon cleaning me out is definitely the next/step. That will be my 6th surgical procedure since Nov 2017. Thank God for good insurance.

The lumbar puncture really isnt a step in any particular direction, its simply a stop gap measure to elevate my symptoms until the shunt can be placed. While necessary its merely a bandaid. A welcome bandaid for sure.

I dont think there are very many people who wake up in the morning excited about getting a spinal tap. That’s reserved for a special kind of crazy. I was so looking forward to it. I showed up early.

I did look forward to mine.

I drove 50 miles to find a good doctor (my parent’s) when my local quack prescribed pain pills for debilitating headaches. I woke up one morning and had NO reflexes. Took me 20 minutes to figure out how to sit up… pain pills!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

My spinal tap gave me an answer and a way to heal

My cat was taking Predisone for a skin condition and I was taking it for Viral Encephalitis, I was advised to take my own…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Man I’m so happy you are getting better care.

Yer Bro

How’s the chemo going?

Too slow.

Yesterday the first of 3 infusion, each of over an hour, was delayed when the nurse was gossiping with another patient and failed to notice my pump wasn’t running … for 40 minutes!

Today I was cringing when a sweet 80 year old lady was stuck 7 times before they got a needle in her.

Yesterday I only got a three timer sticking; blew out the vein - instant purple blotch around the needle, 2nd through a nerve as a hot spot; No No! No!

Oh do you want me to take it out?

YES! Please ASAP!!!

Oh ok…

Called in an other nurse, easy peasy and no pain.

Today a 2 stick success story, 'cept for my incidental pains…

The Chemo hasn’t accumulated enough for the coming nausea and corrosive spit

The cleaning company my sister hired backed their trailer through my railroad. The Tucson loop was shoved 4’+ and left on the ground.

I lost it and had to leave before my mouth made it worse …

I was there because the job’s boss had failed to tell his workers about closets we had chosen to use as storage and I was making sure they stayed out of my guns and shop (that some were told about)…

In compensation the boss insulted my building choice and said he’d have a couple of guys lift it up and put a couple of ‘Proper legs’ under it. As if! It’s screwed together with 5" SS hex head self tapping screws. First I’ll save the track and then winch it back closer to alignment before attempting any lift

Should I live that long and have the strength to do it…

Devon Sinsley said:

Spinal tap was a success so far. My opening pressure was 23. The highest it has ever been that I know of is 24. So basically I am right where I was. 18 is high and 15 is considered normal. She drew off a whopping 30cc of fluid and my closing pressure was 13. I immediately notice the ringing in my ear diminish. My eyes dont feel.like they are popping out of my head. Still have a headache but nowhere near what it was. So this is all great news.

Now the mystery is how long will it last. It’s supposed to give me a couple weeks of reduced symptoms. It wont take them away entirely. I know it WILL come back but the question is when.

I saw the general surgeon in passing at the hospital and he is for sure doing my surgery to clean out my wounds but we are waiting on a CT scan first.

Devon,

So FINALLY they are doing the spinal tap drainage. Remember back when you first were having the symptoms, I told you that this was the FIRST thing they did for me at UCLA/Ronald Reagan. My first drainage procedure, they drew out 5cc per hour. Within two hours, I was able to climb stairs normally without losing my balance. The second day, the doctors increased the drainage to 10cc per hour. Headaches disappeared :)! They kept doing this for four days. Then the spinal tap was removed and I was sent home. It was almost two weeks before my old symptoms reappeared. Had the permanent shunt installed about 3-1/2 months later. Been great ever since.

Yeah a spinal tap is one thing. But to have it in for four days in torture rivaling the Spanish Inquisition :).

Sounds like you have a surgeon that is practicing in the 21st century now. Good luck.

Wow. What an epic set of stupid stuff on top of the real stuff you have to deal with. Sorry John. Thinking about you (and cussing out all those people on your behalf, though they can’t hear me).

Jim, I was hoping to cheer Devon, but found it therapeutic to spew.

Curse Banner Medical that has taken over the fine University Hospital system that was way more efficient …

I’m quite sure that Devon will encourage you to rant/spew/rave whenever and wherever you want to. You are certainly welcome to on any of my topics :-). Hang in there friend. You too Devon…

Okay guys, once again, this is NOT a competition! Devon, so glad you’re doing better. John, so, so sorry you are having to deal with all this on top of chemo.

Certainly makes my ongoing issues seem trifling, but on that front, I have finally been released from the docs for my detached retina and subsequent lens insertion, three days before the one-year anniversary of the detachment. I now go to the optometrist for glasses in a couple weeks. The news wasn’t all good, however. After the last surgery my vision had improved but was distorted. I was informed that the distortion was permanent and would likely not get any better, so I don’t know where that leaves me in terms of finescale modeling. I guess time will tell.

Hang in there, guys.

Good luck and good thoughts to all the “walking wounded” here on LSC! I hope this saga goes well for all of you.

Damn John.

Greg,

Perfect solution to your fine scaling modeling days. Switch to doing abstracts. Just glue random stuff anywhere and tell people its impressionist.