Large Scale Central

My first attempt at scratch building rolling stock

The tank components for the next project (a Tank Car) are ready for assembly the chassis is the same as the one used on the boxcar.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

A bit more progress on the tank car.

Picture shows walkway and ladder trial fit.

Picture of progress on the tank car so far.

Domes and a walkway attached,one end cap press fitted (there will be a band that goes around the tank which will hide the end cap joint) and a ladder made from plastic roof gutter guard trial fitted.

The walkway will have a piece of plastic flashing which has a cross hatch pattern that simulates chequer plate steel a non skid product used by industry.

I took the piece of steel strap of the chassis as the tank assembly weighs heaps.

Love the construction, and the use of styrene is great. There a few over on the 7-8ths.info site that use your method, but also one that mills blocks into shape…I have learnt for regular running that a strong chassis is vital, but as I run infrequently I get away with some plastic ones with brass bearings or eyelets … I love the use of everyday items in the construction …I have 20 feet of useable track after 15 years or so but a lot of friends and had lots of fun…keep it coming.

I have a question for the gurus and experts.

This tank car weighs 3.5Lbs is that a bit heavy for rolling stock.

Considering that the boxcar weighs 1.5Lbs and I plan a reefer, possibly 2 open wagons(gondolas), another box car and a short caboose (weight approx. 1Lb) the all up weight of the consist including the tank car will be in the vicinity of 12Lbs.

Is 12Lbs to much weight to expect my Bachmann Consolidation (Connie) to pull?

The plastic axle gear has been replaced with the brass replacement offered by Bachmann.

Connie will be used on my new layout which will be level and have little or no grades <1%.

She will be powered by a 14.8V 5000mAHr Li chemistry battery.

ideally, all the cars should weigh similar amounts. 3.5 pounds does sound a bit heavy, but you will only know for sure if that will be an issue, when you start running it.

David Maynard said:

ideally, all the cars should weigh similar amounts. 3.5 pounds does sound a bit heavy, but you will only know for sure if that will be an issue, when you start running it.

After a bit more thought I might just treat the tank car as if it is 2 wagons weight wise hopefully that will work.

Deleted duplicate post

Update 18 Nov 2016

Tank Car is finally finished.

Some details;

Chassis - Same as the boxcar with a covering of stained wooden coffee stirrers to simulate planks.

Tank - 100mm (4") PVC plumbers Pipe and end caps.

Domes - 32 mm (1.25") PVC pipe end caps.

Dome Access Hatch - buttons for lids with snap fasteners for wheels, borrowed from wife’s sewing bits.

Ladder - Cut out of a piece of plastic gutter leaf guard mesh.

Fun stuff I love that you are using whatever is on hand. My mind of build.

Its Christmas Day and Connie ( Bachmann 1:20.3 2-8-0 Consolidation) gets to take her new train for a run.

These are the scratchbuild projects I was working on while recovering from hip replacement surgery.

With 2 Boxcars and the tanker, half of the train is complete, the next wagon is either a flat car or an open goods wagon/‘gondola’ then there are another 2 which I have no idea what they will be yet.

Enjoy the sun and keep on healing. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The last of my “therapy wagons” are now complete, they were originally started to give me something to do while recovering from hip replacement surgery but took a little longer to finish than I planned, there are 6 wagons in all to go behind my Bachmann “Connie”.

First one is a gondola with scrap vehicles going to recycle yard, I found the vehicles in a market stall amongst some old toys total cost 50c, the dents are the result of the use of a blow torch and some shaping.

I varnished the wood instead of painting it because SWMBO said it would be a shame to cover it up, the “bolts” are brass dressmaking pins blackened with a felt tip pen.

Second lot
The planking on the flat car is made from paddle pop/coffee stirrer sticks glued on and stained with acrylic artist paints diluted with methylated spirit/de-natured alcohol.
In the first pic you can make out the pieces of flat steel that is used to prevent warping of the MDF deck and adds weight, all my wagons are on the same chassis design
The pipes are 25mm PVC electrical conduit with the flanges cut from an old plastic sign, the rests are just pieces of timber with grooves (made with a round file) to stop the pipes from rolling sideways.
The chains on both are from the cheap/DIY jewelry section of a $2 shop, in the gondola they are attached by hook and loop dressmaking accessories and rivets that I bought from a bloke in Sri Lanka (goes by the name of Pasidump on ebay) who make G Scale kits of short flat cars, plus link and pin couplers similar to LGB.

Last one I call it “Frankenwagon” as it is mage from bits of junk (or treasure if you so desire) I had lying around the shed that was heading for the rubbish bin.

The thinking behind this is (well was I thinking) something along the lines of a power wagon that could be shunted onto a siding at a logging camp to provide electricity for the huts.
The managing director being built for comfort and not for speed with a passion for Glamping ordered it built as he did not want to be using oil lamps when that new fangled electrickery technology was available.

My next project is to attempt to make a diesel loco based loosely on an RS-3 using a Little Critter as the short hood and cabin and trying to make a long hood and extend the deck.Â

The railways in my state of New South Wales (NSW) had a version of an RS-3 (see picture) with a different shaped cabin.

I have a motor block that I can use and I plan to clone the side bars.
I would like an RS-3 but to get one to Aust costs more in postage than what I could buy one for, last time I looked $450 US for the loco and $500 for postage and handling, so this is my solution.

Might take a while but who knows, I think my biggest problem will be shaping the long hood, the rest should be easy (famous last words??).