Large Scale Central

Miks 2019 Build Vic Smith

Got the basic body frame done, ehh…not sure about my overall plan to cover the shell, instead of cardstock I think I’m going to go old school and do the covering the way it’s done with model aircraft and use tissue and a doping compound. This is beyond what I planned on so I may be buying a couple items down the road.

the alu foil pots, one gets with take-away food…

if you place a piece of that on a cutting mat, then take a stick with a rounded tip and rub the foil, it will form soft rounded curves.

just, what you need for your fish.

Man, the intermediate ribs are a huge PITA to install, this is going to look more like a rail Zeppelin than a rail car. Pics coming tomorrow

Pictures, I wasn’t kidding about it looking like a zeppelin

It has been track tested on the Wine Barrel layout.

So cool!

Holy crap Vic. Compared to your normally very scaled down dimensions this thing is freaking huge.

I have one of those way back int he back of my mind someday probably never to be realized projects to build a narrow gauge mogal version of a Mallard. This reminds me of why I don’t want to start that project.

Vic Smith said:

Vic that looks more like a whale …I think you have the nose too pointy .

Vic Smith said:

Got the basic body frame done, ehh…not sure about my overall plan to cover the shell, instead of cardstock I think I’m going to go old school and do the covering the way it’s done with model aircraft and use tissue and a doping compound. This is beyond what I planned on so I may be buying a couple items down the road.

Just a heads up. They do sell vinyl flashing material in the big box stores. It’s used just like the aluminum flashing. That stuff MAY work for you. But you would still have to do a lot of cutting and fitting. I’ve used it to make rocks by hitting it with a heat gun over a form.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Vic Smith said:

Vic that looks more like a whale …I think you have the nose too pointy .

It’s going to my own interpretation, I only have thirty days. A round nose would be difficult to form, so its going to be a bit Silver Fish and a bit Pioneer Zephyr.

Cool build!

Skirts being added, starting to finally take shape, need to extend the light wiring

Got Wings?

John Caughey said:

Got Wings?

For a second I thought that was Devon with his foil hat …(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

John Caughey said:

Got Wings?

For a second I thought that was Devon with his foil hat …(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Lol funny, Super Guppy, the last of the B50/Stratocruisers. I remember seeing these flying out of Long Beach Airport during the Apollo space program.

And for those who aren’t into prop aircraft

So I had to buy some stuff for the body covering and some very thin wire to extend the lights so I can mount them. The wire was $1 a foot, the tissue is specifically for model airplanes and is $3 sheet, but the adhesive and doping covering was $8 a bottle. Lighting is extended, installed the fins. Start covering the body shell tomorrow with the tissue. That will be interesting.

Very interesting subject and build method. Peeking in when I have time to keep an eye on how this is shaping up. Great work so far.

Tissue cover went faster than I expected. Got the body covered once I’ve let it dry thoroughly I need to coat the tissue with the doping compound to tighten it. That will be later today. Need to start thinking about details like doors and windows and such.

This is a fun project!

Doping done, added a clear coat for additional strength. Started adding details, exhaust pipes are on, got two weeks to add details and paint, which will probably be the last thing I do. Pics tomorrow.