Large Scale Central

Mason Bogie

Really nice!

Joe Zullo said:

Really nice!

Thanks Joe

Bill, she is getting better looking with each post!

Eric Mueller said:

Bill, she is getting better looking with each post!

Thanks Eric

Not much done this weekend, dodging a tropical storm, which means bringing in plants, loose objects, and such, turned out to not be bad and looks like it will turn into a hurricane some time this Sunday but will go out to sea, but I did get my fire box fitted and painted. Wanted one a little bigger but size restraints wouldn’t let that happen, but it will work, going to add some highlights to the rivets on the sides in order to bring them in to better view, next it will be time to tackle the bell and reversing bracket that holds the bell, more later, Billfirebox

Little more done, got the rear firebox cover detailed and the bracket made for the bell and reversing lever, now if I could find what I did with the bell I could go a little furtherboiler rear cover bell support

Are you going to close off the slide switch hole in the boiler back-head?

David Maynard said:

Are you going to close off the slide switch hole in the boiler back-head?

No I’m going to put a switch in for the smoke unit, got one that fits, Thanks, Bill

While still looking for the misplaced bell I have gotten the most of the shifter mechanism done still in styrene white but as soon as it dries up around here it will get some paint. Left to do on it is designing the vertical lift bar that runs between the shift leaver at the top and the side drive bar on the chassis. Am considering using round cord elastic that would give with the turning and side rod movements, got to get it on the rollers and see how much everything moves, More to comeshift mechanism in white, Bill

Update to the Mason Bogie bash, tested the operation of the reversing bar in relation ship to the reversing shaft at the bell housing and found very little up/down movement and very little front to rear, most of the movement comes when the engine is in a turn and that seems to more or less just flex with the turn. Not having the patience or tools necessary to machine parts for the vertical lifting bar I settled on elastic black cord and small crimp on fittings from Hobby Lobby to simulate the steel lifting rod and it seems to preform very well. The cord is stretched just enough to make it look straight and it puts up well with both side rod and turning applications. Both ends are secured with 2/56 Allen head screws which allow the grips to move freely and still looking for the bell, train show in a week might find one there. Being as the reversing shaft is free to move the shifting bar that runs from the cab interior to the long bar from the shifting shaft will be secured to the rear section of the boiler just before the cab in order to keep tension on the cord. Pleased with the out come so far and as with everything on this project it comes apart with 2/56 screws, just a lot of screws. At the moment I’m gathering parts to build a flickering fire box which I have built several and look really neat at night. So next step is getting into the wiring of headlight, smoke unit along with R/C and battery, more to come, Bill shifter from the sideshifter from the front

Nice work Bill…Boomer will be VERY happy with the color choice (Amtrak MOW Green)

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

" Rooster " said:

Nice work Bill…Boomer will be VERY happy with the color choice (Amtrak MOW Green)

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks Rooster

So beautiful it brings a tear to my eye.

Remember Bill: it’s not easy being green that is why only us cool kids can pull it off.

Boomer, thanks for the kind words and for bringing the oil cab to life, and the CL&M is one of my favorite web sites and although my Mason Bogie colors match my CFRR passenger cars(done in remembrance of the old Orange special) it was where I decided that it was ok to paint engine in something besides black, Thanks again, Bill

Still working on the mason bogie, got the port side piping done and the reverse linkage secure, and on the starboard side I got the reach rod installed to the shifting linkage it is secured to the side of the engine in the black part of the firebox and does not enter into the cab, all the piping and grab rails move forward to remove themselves from the cab this way I can remove the boiler, cab or chassis for repair. Everything is built with styrene except for the bolts which are 2/56 black hex bolts. Next on the list is the sand dome activation bar and pull rod, still waiting on a replacement bell to arrive. More to follow, Bill reach rodsteam piping

She’s really coming along! Won’t be long until she pulls her first train under the Florida sun!

Nice! And have you located the bell?

Jason

No but Screwy Nick/aka Nick Jr, from MLS and G scale train forum is sending me one, you should check him out, he’s building a beautiful McKeen motor car, Bill

And within 30 minutes after you install Nick’s bell, and only if and when you do install it, the lost one will re-materialize right in plain sight.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

And within 30 minutes after you install Nick’s bell, and only if and when you do install it, the lost one will re-materialize right in plain sight.

You are correct that is why I have put off getting one, and Nick was kind enough to offer and I think I was tired of looking, Bill