Large Scale Central

Just cuz I like B units

Trains magazine (investigative reporting, you be the judge?) http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of-railroading/2006/05/booster-units

From here we see that “booster” locomotives include both B units and calves. Both powered with prime movers and controlled from the cab model it is paired with. This was my understanding. Slugs are non powered with prime movers.

Nudge to John if we can agree that the folks at Trains have anything to say about it.

This is fun, how about a hybrid cabless that makes everyone right. https://www.google.com/patents/US20050279242?cl=en This is a 2005 patent application for a very cool idea.

BACKGROUND- [0003]
Conventional stand-alone locomotives have output power typically ranging from approximately 300 horsepower (for example, locomotives used in mining and tunneling) to 6,000 horsepower (for example, locomotives for long haul cross-country freight trains). In many applications, especially if there are significant grades along the route, a number of conventional locomotives may be used in a consist to haul a large train of a few to over a hundred cars.

• [0004]
    Alternately, a consist may be composed of B-unit locomotives (a conventional locomotive without a functional cab) controlled by the crew of the lead or A-unit locomotive. Another multi-locomotive configuration might be comprised of conventional diesel locomotives and one or more slugs. A slug is a cabless locomotive that contains traction motors but has no integral prime power supply, receiving its power from another locomotive called the mother. Slugs are usually constructed from old conventional locomotives which have their cabs removed. The deactivated diesel engines may be left in place or replaced by inert ballast to maintain sufficient weight over the wheels for proper traction.

This would give nod to John. But again who is this guy and what makes him an authority? I can apply for a patent and make any claim I want too. Doesn’t mean I know what I am talling about. But on a project like this I would hope it is someone with technical understanding.

See what you guys started.

As far as I have ever been taught, the inventor of the multi unit set was GM with the FT. They refereed to the cabless (with prime mover) units as Boosters. Over time Booster was simply shortened to B. Slugs were units usually converted by a RR in which the PM was completely removed, and weight was added for traction. These units completely relied on another unit for power.

The Union Pacific converted several of Missouri Pacific SD40-2s to Boosters by doing nothing more than removing the control stands. They labeled them as…(drumroll please)…

The DD35 Boosters were also labeled with a B

As were the GP30 Boosters

As well as the GP9 Boosters

The fact of the matter is, not every railroad had the same name for everything. For example, the 4-8-4 steam locomotive was pioneered by the Northern Pacific, which is why it is generally named a “Northern” However, that same wheel arrangement went by 11 other names depending on the RR it was on. But the name “Northern” has become widely accepted unless you are talking to a NYC fan, who will argue Niagara until they are blue in the face.

So, while Craig is NOT wrong in his terminology according to his experience with the Burlington Northern; the rest of us are also NOT wrong with what has become the widely accepted terminology for these units.

Chris

Devon,
I’m using what BN crews call those things you posted of on the Chewalah turn… I’m mostly yanking every ones chain because, I know that what the BN calls them is completely opposite of every other stinking railroad. For some reason my smiley face isn’t showing up when I post from my phone. Afterall, Ray asked what those units in your picture, of a BNSF train where called. So, I answered his question…

This is what’s wrong with education in America. The school teacher is trolling railroad forums on his phone when he is supposed to be teaching! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)No wonder he can’t figure out the difference between a B Unit and a Slug.

Dang it, I knew something was wrong yesterday with my students… I just couldn’t quite place it. :wink:

Dear class,
We will be having a 1000 point quiz in the next two days. It will only consist of one question; what is a slug? :wink:

Craig Townsend said:
Dang it, I knew something was wrong yesterday with my students… I just couldn’t quite place it. :wink: Dear class, We will be having a 1000 point quiz in the next two days. It will only consist of one question; what is a slug? :wink:

The most famous slug(s)?

The fighting Banana Slugs of Santa Cruz!

Devon Sinsley said:

Trains magazine (investigative reporting, you be the judge?) http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of-railroading/2006/05/booster-units

From here we see that “booster” locomotives include both B units and calves. Both powered with prime movers and controlled from the cab model it is paired with. This was my understanding. Slugs are non powered with prime movers.

Nudge to John if we can agree that the folks at Trains have anything to say about it.

Ah, slugs get their electrical power from the the A unit, they do not have prime movers.

John Bouck said:
Devon, Calves and B units do have prime movers and traction motors. They are controlled by the attached locomotive. And with remote controls, can move by themselves. Slugs do not have prime movers and cannot move unless they are connected to a locomotive equipped with a prime mover.

Well John…that’s mostly true. But a friend of mine told me about an occasion when they came back from lunch to find that the slug was gone. Here they found it 2 miles down the track. It seams the track had a slight grade to it, and the slug just kinda…wandered off.

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Ah, slugs get their electrical power from the the A unit, they do not have prime movers.

John Bouck said:
Devon, Calves and B units do have prime movers and traction motors. They are controlled by the attached locomotive. And with remote controls, can move by themselves. Slugs do not have prime movers and cannot move unless they are connected to a locomotive equipped with a prime mover.

Well John…that’s mostly true. But a friend of mine told me about an occasion when they came back from lunch to find that the slug was gone. Here they found it 2 miles down the track. It seams the track had a slight grade to it, and the slug just kinda…wandered off.

But that’s only true if you speak to a non Burlington Northern rail. Otherwise, its the opposite… I always knew that I liked the BN for some weird reason…

Weren’t you still in diapers when the BN merged? Thought you got all your misinformation working for the BNSF? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Who do you think I learned it from? Not too many NP and GN guys around when I hired on. It was mostly BN old heads…

Maybe you should have hung around with the Santa Fe guys.

Devon, really? Gee, I would have thought, given the chance, you would have chosen the BN guys over the SF guys.

Chris Kieffer said:

The fact of the matter is, not every railroad had the same name for everything. For example, the 4-8-4 steam locomotive was pioneered by the Northern Pacific, which is why it is generally named a “Northern” However, that same wheel arrangement went by 11 other names depending on the RR it was on. But the name “Northern” has become widely accepted unless you are talking to a NYC fan, who will argue Niagara until they are blue in the face.

Yep. Another example is the 2-10-2 arrangement which was commonly known as the “Santa Fe” type. Except on the competing Southern Pacific, where they were known as Decapods.

Every time I hear that word, I think of decapitated. Not a good word association for a steam locomotive.

David Maynard said:

Devon, really? Gee, I would have thought, given the chance, you would have chosen the BN guys over the SF guys.

Even though BN is in my back yard I have no particular love for them. Nor do I have any particular love for SF. Come to think of it I could really care less about any of the Class 1s. Now if your talking NP maybe and I love the “goat” but by the time those two became BN much less BNSF I lose interest.

Ray Dunakin said:

Yep. Another example is the 2-10-2 arrangement which was commonly known as the “Santa Fe” type. Except on the competing Southern Pacific, where they were known as Decapods.

And just to muddy the waters further…In the UK in 1903 the Great Eastern railway built a loco referred to as “The Decapod”. It was…an 0-10-0 !

Us pesky Brits can’t leave things alone. Max

Aw c’mon Devon. You don’t have any interest in the UP? They had so many locomotives that were unique to them.

The slug controversy has been resolved.

Photo by ABBRAIL, stolen from OGRR Forum

David Maynard said:

Aw c’mon Devon. You don’t have any interest in the UP? They had so many locomotives that were unique to them.

Now I do like UP because of all of them I love their current paint scheme. And they used the DD35 which is just two cool for words. Other than the eh…